• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question OLED , HDR and DV

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I'm not up on this so I apologise beforehand if I've got this question all arsed faced.

I've seen many a member ask if this or that hardware has DV , I've also seen many in regards to OLED displays being DV complatble .

My question is given the limited peak brightness of OLED then how would DV be an upgrade over HDR10 if said display cannot take advantage of a disc matsterd for DV and its higher peak brightness and WCG luminance ?

I feel I'm missing something really simple here , but it evades me

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
The piece you're missing is the dynamic metadata aspect of Dolby Vision. It's nothing to do with the higher peak brightness that Dolby Vision titles can be encoded to.

A Dolby Vision enabled set, playing Dolby Vision content, is able to correctly tone map content to the exact capabilities of the display on a frame by frame basis, which should mean that there's no - or massively reduced - blown out highlights.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
The piece you're missing is the dynamic metadata aspect of Dolby Vision. It's nothing to do with the higher peak brightness that Dolby Vision titles can be encoded to.

A Dolby Vision enabled set, playing Dolby Vision content, is able to correctly tone map content to the exact capabilities of the display on a frame by frame basis, which should mean that there's no - or massively reduced - blown out highlights.
Indeed. For example, most 2016 TVs (all except those made by Samsung, I believe) display HDR10 incorrectly. A 2016 LG OLED, for example, if it's playing an HDR10 clip mastered for a peak brightness of 1000 nits, will display everything up to 500-600 nits correctly; but everything above that is simply clipped, so you lose all the details within bright areas. The same scene in DV is displayed correctly, with all the bright details visible.

As Raymondo points out, the Dolby Vision system also includes not just the recording but the TV as well. So, two different models of TV would display the same Dolby Vision recording in two different ways; but in both cases the end result would be optimised for the specific TV model in question, and played back as well as that model is able to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom