OLED HDMI ARC Lip Sync Issue.

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Dersusco, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Dersusco

Dersusco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This seems to be a widespread problem on all.models of 2016 17 and 18 OLEDs

The TV simply can't decode Dolby digital or atmos properly and the sound trails behind the video.

There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it here but I thought I'd mention it because my fz802 has the issue and I've read a number of C8 and Sony owners also have it.

For the industry to have this issue on such a high level and for it to go seemingly unresolved for 3 years seems like a scandal to me.

2. thewoe2

thewoe2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I have found this too with sky q, So i have the sound set to normal instead of dolby.

3. Dersusco

Dersusco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

In my case I have had to bypass the TV all together but I'm going to experiment with higher rated new hdmi cables and an optical cable.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,116
    I wonder if this is the 'Real Cinema' function at work again.

LG have had a problem with Real Cinema causing a picture delay for years, so an audio delay sounds like it would be good thing to balance things out!!!
    However, it does make me question if your experience of audio delay is apparent with every source... or more as I'd expect with non-film based content.

The Real Cinema picture delay is quite a problem because its inconsistent.... and its inconsistent because it cannot be applied to all sources.

If you turn it off (and this can only be done whilst film based content is playing... otherwise its greyed out), then, and only then apply appropriate audio delay on your AV Amp... that usually helps.

5. Dersusco

Dersusco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

It's not that. It's a problem with hdmi arc and the TV trying to process Dolby digital. If you bypass the TV processing the audio to avr all together the issue goes away.

It's really weird but it's a widespread issue. I don't have much a problem using an optical cable switcher but it really kills the convenience as I'll have to switch TV profiles and inputs and all other that on external sources.

6. Dersusco

Dersusco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok. I've narrowed down what is causing the sync issues on the TV.

It's definitely due to arc but it has to do with using an external source over arc and then switching to using the TVs built in apps.

In my case if I turn my Xbox one X off and switch to Netflix on the TV the sound becomes distorted and garbled. I can get around it by turning the TV and soundbar off before the Xbox fully powers off but when I go back into Netflix it causes the audio to lose lip sync.

So in this case it looks like the only way to avoid these issues is still the same. Either use the avr as a passthrough or use an optical switcher for multiple sources and avoid using the TVs built in app.

I've tested 3 different hdmi cables and an optical cable and it has the problem no matter what.

I'd submit a support ticket to panasonic but their online registration page has been broken for the last week...

7. Breezer23

Breezer23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah it's really terrible and quite pathetic it's an issue given they go out of their way to label these TV's as Dolby Atmos compatible. I've had to route everything through my Sony ST5000 which I was hoping to avoid with the E8. The Soundbar gets incredibly hot when it is functioning as the AVR.

8. thewoe2

thewoe2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I have to set my Xbox One S sound delay at 160ms on my soundbar before i watch a Atmos movie or dtsx, The sound bar is directly connected to the soundbar but they dont seem to like each other, 160ms sets it perfecty but its annoying having to do it everytime.

with PS4 and watching blurays my tv is fine as long as i have the ps4 audio set to bitstream DTS if its dolby its out of sync, same with sky q.

9. Breezer23

Breezer23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My problem is video comes before the audio and there isn't a negative AV sync option.

10. Dersusco

Dersusco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought an ir optical switcher and harmony remote. This doesnt work for people who want to use Atmos or one of the HD DTS or higher bitrate audio obviously. But I'm content with just normal DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1

I read somewhere that the switcher might correct the TV inbuilt app lip sync issue while external devices are connected and would also allow the TV to use the soundbar at the same time...

This would be ideal since the Xbox one X plays all netflix video in 4k HDR even if it's 1080p SDR unless you toggle off the HDR setting every time ..

Another issue unrelated is that the Samsung ms650 soundbar doesn't passthrough hdmi 4:4:4 RGB. It only passes through 4:2:0. So you can't get a "pure" colour passthrough for SDR while using it...like the Xbox one HDR it says "ah I'm made for HDR, I'll only use the HDR settings and all other content doesn't matter!"

Seems like every expensive piece of new technology has some weird issue...

11. Primativ

Primativ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had this issue back in 2016. I ended up having to use SKY Q on normal rather than Dolby.

It's definitely an issue with the TV's not processing the sound through the ARC in sync with the video as when I connected SKY Q directly to my soundbar using optical, the audio and video was perfectly in sync. SO it is an arc/hdmi problem.

12. Dersusco

Dersusco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah I think the TV can't handle switching from different sources. Since I got a optical switcher and just use optical rather than arc everything has been perfect. It's weird that TVs from 2016-2018 have these issues. My 5 year old plasma didn't have any problem but the Samsung QLED I had and the Panasonic fz803 OLED I currently have both have very severe problems with arc.