OLED for gaming (LG C1/B1)

Mirystyl

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So a couple of years back I've thought about buying an OLED TV but chickened out mostly because of my fear that it's quickly going to get burn in (especially since I have terrible luck with electronics) and it wouldn't last me very long. Not being able to fully decide I just grabbed a budget 4K TV (Samsung 55RU7100) since it was still an upgrade from my almost decade old 1080p TV. But here I am, again, thinking about getting an OLED TV.

I'd mostly use the TV for gaming, some content watching and surfing the internet. I have my current TV hooked up to my PC so I mostly play everything on it, unless it's some online game or a game requiring to use keyboard and mouse. I also sometimes get too lazy to sit in a chair, so I take my wireless mouse and go browse the internet on my TV.

I've read some stuff about OLEDs, specifically the LG C1 (since that's the one I'm eyeing), for the past couple of days but I'm still undecided. There's still 2 things stopping me from pulling the trigger and getting it. My fear of burn in (it still hasn't gone away), since I'd like for the TV to last at least 5 years, but I know no one can really reassure me if it'll last that long. I've had my current TV for 2.5 years now and it's total display time is sitting at around 3750h.

And the second one being, is an OLED really worth the extra cost in the first place? I've only seen OLED TVs at the store and sure they look nice, but I feel like a lot of the TVs look nice there playing those commercial demos. I also don't know anyone who owns an OLED, so I can't really take my time with it and see what it has to offer.

55" LG C1 is currently 1019€, though there's also the 55" B1 model which is 888€, but I haven't seen a lot of information about it, except for people telling others to get the C1 instead. Is the processing power and higher peak brightness worth the extra 130€? Or maybe I should be looking at some other TV entirely to better suit my needs? Or should I just stick it out with my current TV and wait for the technology to get better?

I guess I'll repeat what I've advised others in this situation. If the TV is going to be a primary display for PC use, including web browsing, app use with the same static elements on the screen for some time etc then OLED is probably not for you.

If however its strictly a secondary screen that's used for gaming with titles that don't have static elements, and for video watching then there's nothing wrong with going for an OLED.

It has everything to do with how long static elements are displayed, and little to do with whether its hooked up to a PC or not.

I also sometimes get too lazy to sit in a chair, so I take my wireless mouse and go browse the internet on my TV.
So for example, if you do the above on an OLED regularly, you may be pushing you're luck, but if its only occasional, no problem.

Having said that, if you expect the TV to last 5 years, its unlikely even with hard usage of the TV you'll see burn in within that time. Tests done on 2017 models by rtings.com found the worse offender (news channels, FIFA18) to see burn in after 5000h which is roughly 5 years for your usage, so if its just 5 years you're expecting the TV to last and not longer then you may not have to worry about you're usage at all.

And the second one being, is an OLED really worth the extra cost in the first place? I've only seen OLED TVs at the store and sure they look nice, but I feel like a lot of the TVs look nice there playing those commercial demos. I also don't know anyone who owns an OLED, so I can't really take my time with it and see what it has to offer.

55" LG C1 is currently 1019€, though there's also the 55" B1 model which is 888€, but I haven't seen a lot of information about it, except for people telling others to get the C1 instead. Is the processing power and higher peak brightness worth the extra 130€? Or maybe I should be looking at some other TV entirely to better suit my needs? Or should I just stick it out with my current TV and wait for the technology to get better?
At 55" yes, once you go up in sizes perhaps not. Although OLEDs are coming down in price. Main difference between B1 and C1 is with HDR picture quality, the B1 is on the dim side for HDR, whereas the C1 is more of a good baseline to enjoy it without problems. Of course the G1 is even better again, since its both brighter and has a more durable panel.

Processing itself doesn't really matter for you if you're already feeding the TV a 4k source from your PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom