Oled everyday usage questions.

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by merlincoops, Jul 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. merlincoops

merlincoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Following the installation of Sky Q yesterday, today was the inevitable visit to the TV shop - yippee!!
    John Lewis in Newcastle was the chosen destination and I entered the TV area to be greeted by the 65A1 - fabulous demo showing blowing glass. I wowed at the B7 and the I saw a B6 showing SD content through an aerial to it's tuner. Oh my god - it was terrible, my wife even commented that it was significantly worse than our current plasma. The helpful rep showed us the 55A1 showing SD and then HD. Now HD would be easy to live with - great picture, but the SD was still poor. We were assured that the signal from Sky Q would improve the SD picture as would altering a lot of the settings. Is this really the case as I still watch a reasonable amount of SD material?
    I must say the B7 is a gorgeous TV.

2. furryhobnob

furryhobnob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,368
    Sd content is perfectly watchable on my e6, I would say it's slightly worse than my Panasonic vt65 plasma, I just took a quick photo of the sd feed of the cup final on itv right now
    [​IMG]

The hd feed is obviously better of course
    [​IMG]

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Been saying this for a very long time on here, some people listen some don't (or they refuse to) SD looks worse upscaled to UHD. It's normal. Even the UHD tv considered to do the best with SD; Sony ZD9 (probably the a1 too) will look worse than a FHD plasma of old or even a FHD tv today that would cost a hell of a lot less.

I don't think sky will make it look better, in fact I'll take a guess it will be worse. Most stbs will upscale SD to HD themselves so you'll have two stages of upscaling vs one. It's much worse that way than just letting the tv do it itself.

This coupled with the fact UHD is pointless for most people (most don't view close enough) makes me glad I still have my Panasonic plasma and a big wedge of cash still in my pocket.

I'll be upgrading when HDR becomes mainstream as at least that can be benefited from regardless of viewing distance. UHD is a scam that sky have jumped into, they could have simply upped their FHD broadcast quality instead, but of course there's no buzzword for that so it doesn't sell.

4. aoaaron

aoaaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    yeah have to agree.

if i was watching 90% SD content, I'd really look at getting a plasma if i was a videophile or just an old 1080p led or oled if one was available.

The only reason I bought a new screen is all of my content is 1080p or above. I don't really watch TV apart from football [where i'll find a HD source].