Oled Decision time

billy2shots

Standard Member
Getting to the point of Paralysis by analysis now so hopefully I can find a resolution (badum tish) to my issue.

I will list my viewing habits to make it more individual to me.

- Coming from a 6 year old 42" Samsung LCD (high end at the time 8 series). Moved house so bigger lounge now.

- Watching through Sky Q, mostly HD but will also be UHD when the Premier League returns.

- no sticks ever connected

- Watch Netflix through the Sky Q but could / would go through the TV app if that made a difference (special Netflix PQ calibration???)

- 85% of my TV watching is sport, mainly football (real football not the kind you celebrate after every completed pass).
I'm very sensitive to motion blur/ comet trails etc.

- No gaming what so ever.

- Not a big film watcher

- BT sport app available would be a bonus. Disappeared from my current 6 year old LCD TV.

- Budget £1.5k ish

- my two favourite seating positions are 3m and 4m away from the screen. I know 65 + wi be recommended but not sure if it's too big as it will be a corner TV.

- Room is reasonably bright so was concerned for oled but think it will be ok.

- Next day delivery for tomorrow's England v Germany a real bonus. JL £19.95

- Procrastination meant I missed the Prime sales and other outlets price matching.

Originally I isolated it down a Sony 55 A8 Oled.

However the weekend and this website have not been kind and I've disappeared down the rabbit hole. Spent far too much time in Curry's , 3 visits this weekend.

I've now decided I could push things to 65inch (unless I'm guided here otherwise).

Prices are almost bang on for last year's 65 Vs this year's 55inch so think the money is better spent on the largest screen size??

Sooo,

My new shortlist is now

Sony 65 A8 £1799 best price I can find

LG CX 65 £1599 best I can find

Left field LCD Sony 65 inch X950H (£1400)

Summary

I know my criteria doesn't scream Oled but risk FOMO if I don't go that way.

65 or 55 and cash in the bank.

A8 £200 more than CX worth it?

Reviews seem to be 50/50 between the two but rule out any gaming and add in sport watching, does the A8 come out on top?

Play safe a go x950h for £400 difference

Please help......

tvdavid

x950h :smashin:

SirStocky

I’ve tried the 65a85 (returned) and currently have both the 77Ag9 and a 65xh9505 both I got on deals at Costco. I’m returning the AG9 this and sticking with the xh9505 very happy with ir

Dodgexander

Trails from the ball will be inevitable unless you go with an OLED, although you can clear it up a bit with motion interpolation (at the cost of some motion artifacts)...hard to say how senstive you are to it, but its something that is always going to be there on LCD TVs.

I think you're on the right path choosing between the A8H and XH9505.

Don't see why you'd want to consider LG instead since they don't have BT sport and tend to have worse overall motion compared to Sony.

If you mostly watch football with the lights on, or during the day then its best probably to save money and go for the Sony LCD.

billy2shots

Standard Member
Thanks for the input guys.

Popped into JL to look at some sets again and the TV guy informs me that you can't access By sport App through any TV. Is that correct?

Called Richer Sounds and almost did a deal. I was 2 minutes late for getting next day click and collect ready for the football on an A8 55inch.

Decided to give it a couple more days thinking time.

Given that last year's models are selling out now, do we think this is about as these models will get or is there a leg down further before they are all sold?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the input guys.

Popped into JL to look at some sets again and the TV guy informs me that you can't access By sport App through any TV. Is that correct?

Called Richer Sounds and almost did a deal. I was 2 minutes late for getting next day click and collect ready for the football on an A8 55inch.

Decided to give it a couple more days thinking time.

Given that last year's models are selling out now, do we think this is about as these models will get or is there a leg down further before they are all sold?
Do you mean BT sport?
Don’t think it’s an app but you could cast from tablet or phone? Or go on webpage

billy2shots

Standard Member
Do you mean BT sport?
Don’t think it’s an app but you could cast from tablet or phone? Or go on webpage
Yes, auto correct , BT Sport App.

Casting has always provided an awful picture for me regardless of tablet/phone/TV/internet connection

vickster

Distinguished Member
Don’t BT TV do a box of some sort?
Get through Sky? Virgin?
I doubt there’s a built in app as it’s a UK only service

billy2shots

Standard Member
Don’t BT TV do a box of some sort?
Get through Sky? Virgin?
I doubt there’s a built in app as it’s a UK only service

I do not wish to pay extra for BT Sport through TV subscription. I have the App free as I have Broadband and one of my properties.

I can watch through the App on my phone and Tablet. The BT Sport app used to be available through some smart TVs but looks like that's hit and miss or completely stopped now.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Could contact BT and ask if they know of any?
I casted the CL final from the iPad App to my 49xh9505 and the picture was fine

Petey20

The Sony XH95 definitely had the BT sport app when I had mine back in February. Some games were shown in 4K HDR as well 👐.
As far as I'm aware that hasn't changed. Maybe ask in the owners thread to be sure.

Link to owners thread Sony XH9505 Owners Thread

vickster

Distinguished Member
Actually it is on the xh9505 (just looked at my 49”). It has to be added from the Google Play store, it’s not pre-installed. You also have to have a big screen subscription (I don’t through EE, but can pay extra)

billy2shots

Standard Member
Around the 1k mark is probably when these TVs are selling at cost, so I don't imagine the A8 going that much lower, if it goes lower at all before it sells out.

I've come across a new Sony 55A8 for £1,099 or the 65A8 at £1649 both with 5 year warranty.

It's like playing russian roulette thinking if this is as low as they go.

vickster

Distinguished Member
If you want a TV now, buy one. If you are happy to wait and potentially miss out, but save £100 don’t buy yet. :)

John Lewis will retrospective price match if the price comes down within 28 days, similar for RS but only 14

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom