OLED CX 55 sound issues - and WiFi/ LAN connectivity

Mr Moofo

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have just taken the plunge and got rid of my 15 year old Phillips. I now have a OLED CX 55, bought from Richer Sounds.
The picture is great but ...
It has issues with ARC - only intermittently will it allow auto output on the Tv and auto output to work in the ARC. When it is not working , all I get is silence. This is the same for TV source, Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. There seem to be “handshake” issues but it is driving me mad.

I didn’t pay this much for a TV to get Dolby II as the best sound option.
Some questions for the AV crowd.
It is a old QED HDMI being used for the ARC. It’s not eARC - just ARC. Does the HDMI lead make any difference?

it is being played through abs old Yamaha RX- V 375. It could handle Dolby digital + on my humax set top box, and my Amazon TV. But can do it occasionally here. But it is not consistent. Some times it works , sometime it doesn’t.

RS help line say I could just use optical or PCM - but that seems like I am being “done” on some major features.
I have reset the TV. I have toggled Simplink on and off and then back on again.
I have tried 2 HDMI leads ( same result).
Do I have a lemon - or am I doing something wrong?
Also - it keeps dropping WiFi - as in completely forgetting the password, so I have to do all that faff. Again, after talking with RS, they said hard wire it to the internet. That is now done - but the bleeding TV keeps on dropping that signal. BTW the TP Deco box is about 20 cm away from the TV.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited:
It's ARK I'm afraid.
I had same issues with my 55B9.
After calling RS the guy (Rob) ex[plained how ARK is very problematic, and all I can do is turn all off and reconnect (Handshaking it), either that or use the Toslink cable which he said will be no problems at all.
I haven't gone the Toslink route as it would mean I could only adjust the sound on my Soundbar remote.
But I guess if you're using the TV sound, then Toslink would be the best option?

Okay - I am going to get RS to send a replacement - then at least my mind is at rest.
What is the point of buying a TV with so many sound features if ARC then f***s it up?
If I use optical I lose functionality - but what is the “best” I can expect from sound ( I assume not Atmos - DD + ). I am mystified by the world of Dolby Digital - but DD + on my system does sound better. So what is the best you can get with optical - and what is the best you can get with PCM ( I believed that PCM was only two channel that is then coded into surround sound - but I am being told it is uncompressed 5.1 - hence would work for me.

is eARC more stable?
Are there any AV amps that work better with LG than any other brand?

thanks

I just bought the LG 65 cx and I'm having a very similar problem. I have a Vizio sound bar connected via HDMI ARC and it seems like every other day or so, the "handshake" as you put it, gets lost. I have to disconnect the HDMI cable and turn off the sound bar then the restart it in order to get it to work.
I didn't know if it was a sound bar issue (because it's new too) or if it's the TV. I guess based on your experience it could be the TV. Or maybe more specifically HDMI ARC.

Okay - I am going to get RS to send a replacement - then at least my mind is at rest.
What is the point of buying a TV with so many sound features if ARC then f***s it up?
If I use optical I lose functionality - but what is the “best” I can expect from sound ( I assume not Atmos - DD + ). I am mystified by the world of Dolby Digital - but DD + on my system does sound better. So what is the best you can get with optical - and what is the best you can get with PCM ( I believed that PCM was only two channel that is then coded into surround sound - but I am being told it is uncompressed 5.1 - hence would work for me.

is eARC more stable?
Are

is eARC more stable?
Are there any AV amps that work better with LG than any other brand?

thanks
Much as I like RS's customer service, I'm not sure you'll get a replacement.
As I said,... my experience was that ARK is problematic, so they might just tell you the same as told me.
As you have a separate Tuner/Amp it might be a different result, I don't know as I only have a Soundbar now.

It's a pain in you know what isn't it. Hope it works out for you.

I did get a replacement for RS - who were absolutely brilliant. I would throughly recommend them.
But the new TV does exactly the same. I hooked it up with an optical cable - so that only does Dolby digital. If I start Netflix or Amazon prime on that - and after 5 mins switch to ARC - then ARC works as it should !!!
Bit odd really- I am assuming it is not my amp...

I am assuming it is not my amp...
Well you've two TVs exhibiting the exact same issue and the one common factor is.....

I've twice had to upgrade my amp over the last decade and a half and both times have been because of obsolescence of sound format and technology support, not because they had failed in any way.

My CX is in another room but checking on my B7 I can select

Sound Out: Audio Out (Optical/HDMI Arc)

and then if you scroll down....

DTV Audio Setting....

And Dolby Digital Plus is in the list of options. So I'm sure the CX will do.

The amp can handle it (in terms of spec) as it will do once you change from optical to ARC. Bug I am a bit loathed to spend 450 on a new amp. Would I notice the diff eve between 5:1 Dolby Digital vs Dolby Digital +?

I'm having sound issues too... but just maybe it's not just related to ARC but also Simplink / CEC.
When turning on the TV, the receiver turns on too but no sound. When I either switch from ARC to TV-sound and back to ARC or disabling Simplink and enable Simplink again, the sounds turns on.

Another thing I've noticed is that I can't control my external devices via CEC with the LG remote.
On my previous Samsung and LG tv (55LM640S) this worked fine. Examples are my AppleTV 4K, Chromecast and Playstation. When using the LG remote instead of the AppleTV remote, it says please use the LG remote :S

I have just installed a new 55 CX and connected it to my Arcam AV and Atmos speaker system. Sound is as expected when I am playing a Bluray via the Arcam but when I am using the TV's iplayer App I cant seem to get any sound out. I have it connected to an ARC HDMI socket on TV and Arcam - as someone said earlier do I need a special cable for this to work? Is there some other setting I am missing?
Another funny thing is that yday it was playing 4k iplayer stuff visually fine but today it can hardly play the standard HD stuff - presumably this must be some issue with my broadband?

Mine is going back to Richer Sounds. Not only does ARC not work in a stable fashion but apps are difficult to access - and poor picture (half the time). However, it’s killer is that it cannot hold a stable WiFi connection - and worse still, it cannot hold a stable ( 200 mbps Virgin) LAN connection. Turn the tv off , and they go. To get them to re link, you have to re set the router , and fro WiFi re winter the password. And then it likes to send me banner message in the top right had corner “ TV no longer connected to LAN” and the “ TV connected to LAN” every 15 seconds - which I cannot switch off !
Great looking TV but rubbish fuctiinality

I have just installed a new 55 CX and connected it to my Arcam AV and Atmos speaker system. Sound is as expected when I am playing a Bluray via the Arcam but when I am using the TV's iplayer App I cant seem to get any sound out. I have it connected to an ARC HDMI socket on TV and Arcam - as someone said earlier do I need a special cable for this to work? Is there some other setting I am missing?
Another funny thing is that yday it was playing 4k iplayer stuff visually fine but today it can hardly play the standard HD stuff - presumably this must be some issue with my broadband?
You might think that - but mine would connect to broad band or wifi, when everything else in the house (even three floors up) has no issue. It even won’t connect , without a router reset to LAN directly into the router.
It’s rubbish ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom