OLED Console Gamers

Hostile18

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought it would be a good idea to create a thread especially for OLED TV's as it relates to gaming. Each modern game seems to vary it's HDR effect/implementation greatly and given OLED's lower max peak brightness some settings can be a bit variable to get the best picture both on the tv itself and within the game.

First off heres how to get a accurate picture on this years LG OLEDs, please note the B8 SKU is currently bugged and must be put in PC mode to get accurate colours with none HDR material.

Contrast 85 (100 HDR)
OLED: Preference (100 HDR)
Colour 50
Sharpness: 10
Brightness: 50
White balence: Warm 2/ W40
Colour Gamut: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

So to get things started what game is everyone playing now, and how are you finding the HDR implementation if it has it?

I'm currently on Resident Evil 2. It looks amazing but the HDR does not feel quite right. The torch scenes appear almost grey instead of black and if you lower brightness by the tv about 7 notches you can see how it's meant to look.. but that's probably crushing blacks in other areas. Apart from that a truly amazing game.

I also want to mention OLED was a really big upgrade in Horizon for me, especially at night... the star scenes look AMAZING. Onto Kingdom Hearts 3 next which has several performance/visual modes to choose between.

Last edited:
I’m currently playing Spider Man on PS4 Pro. I think the HDR works wonderfully in this game. There’s not really any HDR setting as such, just a brightness option. I’ve only had my C8 a few months, so not played that many games on it yet. The only one I changed to SDR was Far Cry 5, the HDR in that game was way too bright imo, and I also noticed strange flickering in camera pans, so I played in SDR (which was still beautiful though).

I’m currently playing Spider Man on PS4 Pro. I think the HDR works wonderfully in this game. There’s not really any HDR setting as such, just a brightness option. I’ve only had my C8 a few months, so not played that many games on it yet. The only one I changed to SDR was Far Cry 5, the HDR in that game was way too bright imo, and I also noticed strange flickering in camera pans, so I played in SDR (which was still beautiful though).

Spiderman is definitely one of the best implementations I've seen really adds to the game!

I've left it off for Red Dead as well because it was very poorly implemented, correct me if I'm wrong but I think it still hasn't been sorted as it would require a huge amount of work.

Obviously there's a few cases where the HDR is bugged but generally speaking I've found if my tv settings are "correct" the HDR result is great.

I remember using my old KS8000 and because I had left Dynamic Contrast on HDR in Final Fantasy 15 looked completley wrong, as if a white filter was been applied. Oh the folly of youth (lol).

Currently playing Resident Evil 2 and the HDR is stunning but also disappointing at the same time, when it looks good it looks sublime but the gray blacks in certain rooms just kill it for me. Turning off Dynamic Tone Mapping really helped me the most, found it completely blows out the picture when enabled on this game. Lowering the brightness also helps retain those deep blacks but at the cost of detail.

Im really looking forward to the new Metro game, the first two games even though they aren't Pro enhanced look and play wonderful on an OLED! :) Going to playthrough Last Light on my C8 soon, it was a real treat on my E6 a few years ago.

Also agreed on Spider-Man, completed the second DLC the other day and was once again blown away by the games presentation. Just looks so bright and clean on the C8! Love it! :thumbsup:

God of War is another game that looks amazing with HDR. That’s the first game I played on my C8 and I’m sure I added a few hours to my playthrough, just to stop and look at the scenery :D.

@CoolDust I’ve been watching a few videos of Metro Exodus and it looks amazing; my next purchase for sure. Like you I loved the previous games, great setting dripping with atmosphere, can’t wait to see what the new one is going to look like on oled :smashin:.

God of War is another game that looks amazing with HDR. That’s the first game I played on my C8 and I’m sure I added a few hours to my playthrough, just to stop and look at the scenery :D.

@CoolDust I’ve been watching a few videos of Metro Exodus and it looks amazing; my next purchase for sure. Like you I loved the previous games, great setting dripping with atmosphere, can’t wait to see what the new one is going to look like on oled :smashin:.
I played and loved God of War on my C7, such a gorgeous game with insane detail! Will need to try it on my C8 at some point this year for another playthrough perhaps. :D

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is another stunning HDR title, some of the maps are absolutely breathtaking.

It's such a shame Rockstar didn't implement proper HDR for Red Dead Redemption 2 because that would have been the best HDR game available, LA Noire from Rockstar also had rubbish HDR but it looked lovely in SDR on my C7.

Horizon: Zero Dawn really does look absolutely stunning in HDR on an OLED. I have a high end gaming PC as well, yet I still think that HZD is the best-looking game I've played. The only complaint is that the animation during cutscenes is a little stiff and janky.

I’ve got God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn still unopened.Is there any special settings on my E7 as I’m just using the settings off here.
On Forza7 I find HDR makes the image go dark so is there any settings I need to change.
HDR scares me a bit with burn in but I played the last of us for the first time last week and it was great in HDR very subtle but really good but Forza disappoints me being so dark.
Never played a Metro game but must admit Exodus looks good.

I’ve got God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn still unopened.Is there any special settings on my E7 as I’m just using the settings off here.
On Forza7 I find HDR makes the image go dark so is there any settings I need to change.
HDR scares me a bit with burn in but I played the last of us for the first time last week and it was great in HDR very subtle but really good but Forza disappoints me being so dark.

I haven't got a X Box but should Dynamic Tone Mapping sort this out? (If it isn't already on). What's your OLED display setting during SDR? Sometimes having that too high can make HDR look dull by comparison. That been said a game that's largely outdoors should have a decent level of brightness generally so I'm not sure.

Currently playing Resident Evil 2 and the HDR is stunning but also disappointing at the same time, when it looks good it looks sublime but the gray blacks in certain rooms just kill it for me. Turning off Dynamic Tone Mapping really helped me the most, found it completely blows out the picture when enabled on this game. Lowering the brightness also helps retain those deep blacks but at the cost of detail.

Im really looking forward to the new Metro game, the first two games even though they aren't Pro enhanced look and play wonderful on an OLED! :) Going to playthrough Last Light on my C8 soon, it was a real treat on my E6 a few years ago.

Also agreed on Spider-Man, completed the second DLC the other day and was once again blown away by the games presentation. Just looks so bright and clean on the C8! Love it! :thumbsup:

Yeah I noticed turning off dynamic tone mapping helps a little bit wouldn't you be losing something at the higher end of the range? In the end I left it as it looks like a bug that's effecting everyone not just on OLED tvs (Pretty sure Angry Joe mentioned it on his review). Still a great game and am currently on my Claire B playthrough. It's a lot harder.

I love Metro games, last time I played them I didn't even have an Oled. They were one of the first games this gen that really knew there stuff when been ported over to the PS4. I still think of it as been one of the best technical ports ever. Can't wait to play Metro Exodus, it's been pre ordered and paid for, for months :D.

Does Forza offer any options in the settings to calibrate HDR? Sorry I don't have this title so can't say how to get the best from its HDR implementation. What I could suggest is maybe try whacking on Dynamic Contrast. I had to use this on my C7 for a few titles that didn't offer any type of way to adjust the HDR.

@Hostile18
I'm now running it with Dynamic Tone Mapping on but adjusted the in game slider a few clicks and outside of the Police Station it looks absolutely phenomenal. Go back into the Police Station and some rooms are completely washed out and look horrible so I've just accepted it's broken in those areas. Finished my first playthrough as Leon last night and the second half of the game looks so much better.

The E7 doesn’t have dynamic tone mapping I think that only came with the 8 series.Resogun on PS4 Pro looks great in hdr the explosions blind you they are so bright but it looks great.Perhaps it’s just a Forza thing with hdr as everything else looks good.

Been playing the latest Battle Royale game Apex Legends on my C8 and it looks and runs beautiful, 60fps on an OLED really is a treat! What worries me about this game is there's a lot of bright static yellow HUD elements and this is the type of game I could rack up a lot of hours on! Hopefully the devs implement some HUD customisation soon.

I was glad to see in Anthem that it has a HUD opacity slider, every game should have that option.

I have the C8 and games look amazing on it, just finished Assassins Creed Odyssey in 4k HDR on Xbox One X. I don't like Huds in games on all the time, it spoils it, so went into Hud settings and chose light, then ticked the options I wanted, this meant it only displayed Hud elements when needed dynamically.

Recently played Spider-Man and Horizon land they both looked stunning on my E7. I hadn’t been playing games for a couple of years but started up again at Xmas after buying Spider-Man. HDR really does add to how a game looks and I can safely say Horizon is the best looking game I have played.

I have the C8 and games look amazing on it, just finished Assassins Creed Odyssey in 4k HDR on Xbox One X. I don't like Huds in games on all the time, it spoils it, so went into Hud settings and chose light, then ticked the options I wanted, this meant it only displayed Hud elements when needed dynamically.
I do this when I can, I love playing without HUDs now, it feels so much more immersive. I think all games should offer hud options like this, or a least offer dynamic HUDs like God of War/Horizon ZD.

I do this when I can, I love playing without HUDs now, it feels so much more immersive. I think all games should offer hud options like this, or a least offer dynamic HUDs like God of War/Horizon ZD.

I like very minimal HUDs but feel a game has to be designed for it to really work. For example if the mini map isn't there is the world laid out in such a way that it can be navigated easily without getting lost, or are quest locations given out with descriptive markers of where to go etc. I believe Red Dead is good in this regard.

Playing Metro now and what a game. However the gamma screen in game needs to be turned up quite high? I usually leave it at default but seems like this game requires it to be adjusted high on our tvs?

First picture is at default (50%) in-game gamma. Second picture is in-game gamma at 90%.

Edit: the opening menu is super over-exposed on the higher settings. Looks like no matter what you choose you either over saturate light areas or opposite side of the spectrum crush blacks. Quite a few devs struggling with HDR recently... Red Dead, Resi 2 and now this.

Attachments

• 20190217_194018.jpg
    20190217_194018.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 196
  • 20190217_194042.jpg
    20190217_194042.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Playing Metro now and what a game. However the gamma screen in game needs to be turned up quite high? I usually leave it at default but seems like this game requires it to be adjusted high on our tvs?

First picture is at default (50%) in-game gamma. Second picture is in-game gamma at 90%.

Edit: the opening menu is super over-exposed on the higher settings. Looks like no matter what you choose you either over saturate light areas or opposite side of the spectrum crush blacks. Quite a few devs struggling with HDR recently... Red Dead, Resi 2 and now this.

Are you playing on XBox One ?.

The issue regarding the gamma is a known issue. It's mentioned in this Digital Foundry video ...

Are you playing on XBox One ?.

The issue regarding the gamma is a known issue. It's mentioned in this Digital Foundry video ...

That's the thing it's on the PS4 Pro. There's some people mentioning about it but not as many as you'd think.

Not started the newest Metro yet, been playing through Last Light again and it looks so good on the C8! :love: I'm really going to miss the 60fps in Exodus because it really enhances the game for me.

Can't recommend the Metro Collection enough for OLED owners, it's currently dirt cheap on the PSN store. It feels like the games were made for OLED.

Id love an excuse to play them again but I'm kind of stressed out how much there into play at the moment. Resi is done but Metro Exodus and Kingdom Hearts 3 are fighting for my love!

Mortal Kombat will be good in April for OLED/HDR if Injustice 2 is anything to go by.

posted in wrong thread, could find the delete post option :thumbsdow

Nearly done with Metro: Last Light and it really is just such a showcase for OLED tech, no other game I've played has benefited from the perfect blacks of OLED like these games do! :love: Can't wait to get started on Exodus!

After that I want to get back to Resident Evil 2 and finish scenario B as Claire.

I just got an LG OLED B8 (the price drop in the last week was crazy) and will be using it primarily for console gaming (Switch and PS4) and Netflix/Amazon Video. I don't have a PS4 pro yet, but even 1080p looks good.

I had a follow-up question to for Hostile18 based on your initial post.

B8 SKU is currently bugged and must be put in PC mode to get accurate colours with none HDR material

I've read that elsewhere as well, such as Rtings.com. However, I've also read that you need to set RGB to Limited rather than Full or Automatic in the PS4 menu OR set Black Level to High in the OLED's picture settings. Is this addressing the same issue, or are they two separate concerns? Also, where can I find the setting for "PC mode" in the LG's menu?

I've only got about an hour of gaming out of the set so far, and I won't have time for much more in the next few weeks, but I'll be focusing on Kingdom Hearts 3. With RGB set to Full, it definitely had crushed blacks, but with RGB to Limited, it looks as it did on my LCD--which is slightly washed out. I'm thinking of adjusting brightness in the game or gamma in the TV's picture settings to compensate.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom