OLED cons

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel we don't talk openly and honestly about OLED cons (except burn in which everyone mentions). I feel OLED is clearly the best technology for home cinema PQ, and its evidenced by it winning every single blind TV shootout.

However it does have a few flaws. Wondering if anyone has encountered any others.

1. Burn in - this is solved by JL warranty and Temproary Image retention - I haven't seen this on my set but I imagine its annoying
2. Expensive for bigger screen sizes
3. 5% grey slide banding on near black - this is horrible and a big issue and required panel lottery and returning
4. 24p content - 24p judder on panning shots and low framerate video games because the instant pixel response time is so.. instant. I found a slight solution to this is enabling some motion interpolation (on LG, cinema clear or tru motion de judder 3-4)
5. ABL

I don't want this to go into an LCD vs OLED war but just talk about the drawbacks of OLED which people should maybe be aware of. But before someone else lists them after an LCD or anti-OLED user tries to start a debate, we all already know the LCD flaws of: poor blacks, poor viewing angles, chunky form factor, slow pixel response time, motion blur, black smear, halo effects, banding on every colour if its there, dirty screen effect, screen uniformity issues, poor contrast, no pixel level control, backlight banding on FALD sets, worse SDR/HDR performance. I just wanted to get that out there so we don't have an OLED vs LCD debate because I don't want this thread to be about that.

Given those five flaws, I can't really find any others which come to mind and think the TVs are pretty god damn perfect.

Any flaw with an OLED panel you've noticed which you wish you'd known about?

I got my first OLED TV a couple months ago. A LG CX. I love it. But yeah, there are cons to it. Here are mine. I've elaborated on a couple of yours.

1. Burn in - I had read about it, and seen some YT videos about it. When I got my LG from Best Buy (Magnolia) I did get their extended warranty in part to protect against burn in. Their warranty does cover burn ins.
2. Cost - they seem much more expensive than non-OLED TVs the same size.
3. Top half of panel is soooo thin. Like it's as thin as a smart phone. And it bends a bit. It has me concerned that I might damage it with it gets shoved too hard. Or something gets knocked into it. Though currently, my LG is on a wall mount. Usually it stays put. But every once in a while I have to move it. I'll sometimes forget and grab the thin part, then realize it and grab the thicker bottom half. Or the wall mount handle in back.
4. Darker room - I have my "home theatre" (aka living room) relatively dark to enjoy the TV. With the blinds drawn. The screen is a lot more reflective than my previous Sony LCD TV. When I've had the blinds open during the day, I'm usually not directly watching something. But instead listening to music played on my speakers with some splash screen being displayed.

I feel we don't talk openly and honestly about OLED cons (except burn in which everyone mentions). I feel OLED is clearly the best technology for home cinema PQ, and its evidenced by it winning every single blind TV shootout.

However it does have a few flaws. Wondering if anyone has encountered any others.

1. Burn in - this is solved by JL warranty and Temproary Image retention - I haven't seen this on my set but I imagine its annoying
3. 5% grey slide banding on near black - this is horrible and a big issue and required panel lottery and returning
4. 24p content - 24p judder on panning shots and low framerate video games because the instant pixel response time is so.. instant. I found a slight solution to this is enabling some motion interpolation (on LG, cinema clear or tru motion de judder 3-4)
5. ABL

I don't want this to go into an LCD vs OLED war but just talk about the drawbacks of OLED which people should maybe be aware of. But before someone else lists them after an LCD or anti-OLED user tries to start a debate, we all already know the LCD flaws of: poor blacks, poor viewing angles, chunky form factor, slow pixel response time, motion blur, black smear, halo effects, banding on every colour if its there, dirty screen effect, screen uniformity issues, poor contrast, no pixel level control, backlight banding on FALD sets, worse SDR/HDR performance. I just wanted to get that out there so we don't have an OLED vs LCD debate because I don't want this thread to be about that.

Given those five flaws, I can't really find any others which come to mind and think the TVs are pretty god damn perfect.

Do you mean ABL or ASBL?
I‘ve never noticed ABL (dimming of bright scenes) in normal use for TV and movies.
I have noticed ASBL (incorrect dimming of a dark scene because it’s identified as a static image by the TV) several times usually with Dolby Vision content. Haunting of hill house, Ozark, and Tehran are titles that comes to mind. It’s rare, but really annoying particularly as LG haven’t fixed it despite it happening since 2017 and maybe earlier.

Other than that I’ve no arguments with your list.

I got my first OLED TV a couple months ago. A LG CX. I love it. But yeah, there are cons to it. Here are mine. I've elaborated on a couple of yours.

1. Burn in - I had read about it, and seen some YT videos about it. When I got my LG from Best Buy (Magnolia) I did get their extended warranty in part to protect against burn in. Their warranty does cover burn ins.
2. Cost - they seem much more expensive than non-OLED TVs the same size.
3. Top half of panel is soooo thin. Like it's as thin as a smart phone. And it bends a bit. It has me concerned that I might damage it with it gets shoved too hard. Or something gets knocked into it. Though currently, my LG is on a wall mount. Usually it stays put. But every once in a while I have to move it. I'll sometimes forget and grab the thin part, then realize it and grab the thicker bottom half. Or the wall mount handle in back.
4. Darker room - I have my "home theatre" (aka living room) relatively dark to enjoy the TV. With the blinds drawn. The screen is a lot more reflective than my previous Sony LCD TV. When I've had the blinds open during the day, I'm usually not directly watching something. But instead listening to music played on my speakers with some splash screen being displayed.
I agree with your point 3 : Top half panel is soooo thin.. Although I cannot understand moooossst people praise this. I hate it and I refuse to buy a Lg oled for this. I must say now.. I refuse to buy a C,.. X oled.. Because now you can buy a GX-oled.

I think lg cx/bx is the worst of all brands.. because sony has stronger plates behind it I think. And panasonic has backpanel on the bottem-part to the edges and less thin part on top..

I Hope many people buy a Gx lg oled that lg will learn.. hey,.. it's better to make a sturdy tv from bottem to top.. But you have to buy a pedestal/feet for the Gx if you put it on a stand and not at the wall.. And I don't know if the sound of the gx is different from the CX ? And the gx is more expensive.

5. ABL

Interesting post. I had an initial rejection reflex thinking it is another oled vs lcd. But you nicely diffused it...

I was soooo against oled and my argument number one was the burn in risk and the unacceptable risk not covered by manufacturers.
Now, I didn’t change my mind that much but the quality my pana gives me is worth the maintenance I am doing.
1.burn in: yep. Enough said but technology got better and need some maintenance/care,
2. Expensive: indeed for bigger size but the gap is narrowing like crazy. The trick is to never buy the latest. Price divided by 3 from launch if played right. and this is key to point 1 as the risk becomes more acceptable too..
3. Annoying for sure especially big sizes...can’t wait for mini/micro led :) which In theory kill this issue.
4. Never ever noticed anything...hope it stays that way...
5. I notice the ABL sometimes but really not an issue...tv is soo bright for me that I had to tone it down a bit (linked to point 1 too).

to resume,unless you spend your life analysing the picture and looking for flaws...oled gives me a picture I still can’t believe how good it is...

Yep...burn in is a pain but all I am asking is my tv to last 2-5 years until the expected next big leap. Half way there :)
Until then, nothing comes close...

Watch 1917. Plenty of panning shots, especially after the guy gets off the cart midway through the film. Should see it clearly then.

Watch 1917. Plenty of panning shots, especially after the guy gets off the cart midway through the film. Should see it clearly then.
Will do...i also enable some minimal motion interpolation on my pana...
Exactly for this reason 👍

Will do...i also enable some minimal motion interpolation on my pana...
Exactly for this reason 👍

Great if u do that, shouldn't be much of a problem. I set dejudder on LG to 3 for 99% of use cases its perfect but that one scene on 1917 is a bit of a stress test as its on a white background/sky so it seems to flag it up a bit.

The biggest con with OLED is banding/tinting and the number one reason, for returning OLED TV sets.
I think returning OLED TVs for bandings is more common than returning LCDs TVs for dirty screen effects.

The second biggest con is lack of near black performance or 'out of Black'. This is an Achilles heel for OLEDs and the latest models are better than those released 2/3 years ago.

The 3rd con is overtly concerned about turning on/off or forcing panel maintenance, do you wait for small bandings to clear on it's own after few days, but within your return window or send it back to the retailer.

Last edited:
For me its the ASBL protection feature mentioned already, it would be fine if it worked correctly but LG have not bothered to fix it since 2016. And I don’t understand why no news/media outlets have highlighted this more to force LG into sorting it, even TV reviews on sites like this never mention it as a con.

The biggest con with OLED is banding/tinting and the number one reason, for returning OLED TV sets.
I think returning OLED TVs for bandings is more common than returning LCDs TVs for dirty screen effects.

The second biggest con is lack of near black performance or 'out of Black'. This is an Achilles heel for OLEDs and the latest models are better than those released 2/3 years ago.

The 3rd con is overtly concerned about turning on/off or forcing panel maintenance, do you wait for small bandings to clear on it's own after few days, but within your return window or send it back to the retailer.

First con - Some bands can be seen on 1-5%. If you easily spot them frequently in real world viewing then its a big con and I still think this is the #1 issue. But if you look at the LED-LCD TV space, you can see even high end panels exhibiting loads of DSE.

Second con - Panasonic have almost nailed near black since 2019. This is not a big deal if you have a capable OLED.

Third con - Sadly this is a part and parcel of the tech. Nothing much can be done. I would consider this like broadband going down suddenly requiring a router reboot.

Fourth con - How about actually buying a TV?

I love the PQ on my 55 CX but I’m one for watching the content and not really looking out for flaws.

I’d be happy if the CX last for 5 or 6 years but my old Panni backlit LED is 11 years old and still going strong, be it as always with screen light bleeding around the edges and dirty clouds on a white sheet, but just wished that it had only lasted 6 years then I could of got a OLED sooner. :D

I thought banding was the biggest con but now I’m all about the tint!:blush:

I thought banding was the biggest con but now I’m all about the tint!:blush:
That pesky pink panasonic
:rolleyes: :(

pink_sonic_sa_style_by_sarkenthehedgehog_dc8jbvo-fullview.png

Wish deeper and able for one person to lift and move around, no handles, and too thin, not like you can push surround and it doesn't flex.

Black crush seems to be a issue as does postersarion.

Other than the 'expensive' part, I cant relate to any of those known issues after 2.5 years of owning my OLED.

i appreciate they can be problems, but I would hope that the majority of consumers wouldn't be affected by them...

In my opinion, the only con I can find is the price. Other than that it's perfect and nothing match an oled tv.
I have an LG C8 55" and it's absolutely amazing, both watching tv or playing ps4

Love my B9. No complaints. But I will need to find one within the next year as I change every two years and need to justify it (as usual) to the Missus.....

Last edited:
I have a B7 and don’t notice any of the issues mentioned myself. The picture quality is so much better than any LCD I’ve seen. They are pricey though and I’m annoyed that LG won’t update the software on older sets for Airplay 2. I think when you are spending this much you would be expecting to keep it many years. I’ll end up rectifying things with a box/smart device at some point I suppose but my issue is with LG not OLED as a technology.

I have an LG C6 65'' and the only reason I keep it is because I have a collection of 3D movies. Absolutely ruined by burn in. Going to buy a new tv for an other room soon, no idea what to buy, OLED completely out of the question.

Oled cons, lists a few then trashes LCD, really pointless thread from an oled fan boy, worse than xbox v playstation, grow up

Oled cons, lists a few then trashes LCD, really pointless thread from an oled fan boy, worse than xbox v playstation, grow up

Not really. I just wanted to list the cons of an LCD so other users don't. I am not trying to get into an LCD vs OLED discussion; because put quite simply for anyone well versed in both technologies and owning both display types (such as myself; I own an OLED AND a high-end LCD with a backlight zone count probably higher than or near-equal to yours), its obvious which is better.

As you can see, the entire thread has been dedicated to and included posts from people listing the negatives of the OLED TVs (or saying they don't notice the issues I explained).

I find on the internet forums OLEDs are painted as the holy grail with only burn-in being an issue. If anything, I am bashing OLED for some very overlooked issues with the technology (handling of 24fps content panning shots, 5% near black uniformity, ABL etc.).

The only person who has sadly taken it this way is you; so likely you should be the one doing the growing up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom