OLED Burn In Risk

JustTheFacts

I watch Cbeebies for about an hour (max 2) in the morning and up to 3 in the evening.

The morning has a smaller logo.
The last hour of the evening has a different logo.
All logos revolve every 10 mins or so for about a minute.

The logo is mainly black, white and yellow wiht touches of blue.

Should I be worried about burn in?
If your worried about burn in then you shouldnt buy an OLED. If you have an OLED just enjoy. The possibility or burn in is practically zero. On the other hand some people suffer from Burninphobia. If this is the case one should never buy an OLED TV.

A few AVForum members claim cases on 2018 OLED TVs are starting to show up with burn in or PIR. I can’t find 10 reports. There have been over 10 million OLEDs sold since 2018. Unfactual generalized statements by these few AVForum members cause confusion.

In the United States there is a non for profit organization called Consumer Reports. They have collected reliability data on over a 130,000 Televisions.

Below is a summary of their reliability data..

20 percent of Vizio, RCA, Westinghouse, and Element have problems in the first 5 years. Even Sony, Samsung, Hisense, and LGs failure rate is around 10 percent in the first 5 years. You can see from the reliability data that OLED Burn In on 2018 and newer OLED TVs should be the last thing to worry about when buying an OLED TV. Your OLED TV is over a 1000 times more probable to develop a problem because of other issues than burn in. I have to agree with Vincent Teoh when he says OLED Burn in is extremely overblown.

Last edited:

JustTheFacts

Most people come to their conclusion about the severity of OLED Burn In based on these factors.
  1. Testing done by rtings.com on 2017 OLED TVs,
  2. The dialog that was started in 2015 and continues until this day about “experts” either saying it is a problem or that it isn’t a problem.
  3. Reports’ of 2017 and older TVs experiencing burn in? Almost all of the reports of burn in are on 2017 and older TVs.
  4. Personally experienced burn in on a 2017 or older OLED
  5. Various conspiracy theories. LG doesn’t provide a 10 year OLED Burn In warranty because they know OLED BURN IN is a real problem. The manufacturers, retailers, and professional reviewers are working together to mislead the public, otherwise they would report how widespread OLED burn in is.
  6. The lack of reports of 2018 and newer OLEDs experiencing burn. This includes all manufactures of OLED TVs. All of the manufacturers use OLED supplied panels.
  7. Burn in hasn’t happened yet on 2018 and newer OLED TVs, but give it time and it will happen.
  8. Assumption that the manufacturing quality improved to a six sigma level. No more panel lottery. This is based on the fact that many Owners of 2017 OLED TVs used there TVs in the same manner and the vast majority of OLED owners never saw a hint of OLED BURN IN. On a rare occasion owners of 2017 and older OLEDs would experience permanent burn in. This suggests a panel lottery do to defects in the manufacturing process.
    The manufacturing quality was greatly improved in 2018 based on the fact that reports of OLED BURN IN on 2018 and newer TVs are extremely hard to find.
  9. All of these manufacturers use different software but the same hardware (LG supplied OLED panels). Because there are practically zero reports of OLED Burn In for all manufacturers using 2018 and newer OLED supplied panels the drastic improvement may have more to do with the hardware (LG supplied OLED panels) than software.
  10. Engineering (pixel size -aperture ratio} and better heat sinks. Less heat generated and better ways or dissipating the heat that is generated. The pixel size has a huge effect, since the improvement is exponentially related; H = I2Rt.
  11. From Tim Brookes of HOW-To Geek/ “Older OLED displays used separate, colored pixels. However, manufacturers soon realized that different colored subpixels aged at different rates, particularly blue and red. LG Display decided to use a grid of white LEDs, which age at the same rate. Colored filters are then used to create the four separate subpixels of red, green, blue, and white.”
  12. Different isotopes and additives for pixel material. Pixels more durable.
  13. Software improvements. Pixel refresh, logo luminence
  14. There have been over 10 million OLED TVs sold since 2018. The reports of OLED BURN IN are practically zero for 2018 and newer OLED TVs. You would have a hard time finding 5 reports. That is 1 TV for every 2 million TVs sold.

You now have the 14 points to ponder. Analyze the points yourself and come to your own conclusion.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Notwithstanding the burn in risk I would make the following comments:
These are all LG manufactured panels and in my and family/friends experience of their products reliability is the worst of any mid to upper range brand.
The HDR brightness of OLEDS barely exceeds the SDR of the best FALD LCD's
Depends what you watch but?

anotheruser

I'm not worried about it but also don't know much about it, that's all.

The dilemma I have is that I'm not so sure plumping £1k on another LCD will give me the "upgrade" I'm looking for, even though my current set is from 2013.
But that's for another thread.

I've been watching the Cbeebies logo this morning and it changes even quicker than I thought. The whole logo changes to a sunshine for at least 10/12 seconds every 20 seconds or so, in the morning at least.

I should think the evening/bedtime logo rate of change is the same / similar.

Airchtit

Novice Member
i know it's a bit hard these days but try to see an oled in real life. The colors are just something else, they seem "inky" and the panels are not matte like lcds which add an extra depth to them.

When it comes to burn-in, I've had crts, plasmas and oled and never experienced any despite being a gamer. The occasional picture retention, yes. But actual burn-in, never.

I've been wondering a switch to lcd in the last few weeks given the recent advances in fald and I finally got to see a Samsung 8k (q950sts) in action. The picture is insanely crisp but the colors look sad to me. It's hard to define, they simply don't pop out as much as on an oled.

the only actual problem for me with oled is banding. Most people won't have any and if ou have some, you can usually play on the settings to hide it a bit. if you have a very bad one, it's just a matter of returning it.

iddyb

Standard Member
My LG OLED was fine for the first 2 1/2 years then a green vertical band appeared near the centre of the screen 12" x 1", nowhere near a channel logo or title bar would be, since then it's gone
downhill rapidly.
When displaying blank test cards it shows that 90% of the screen is degraded
It has been used as anyone would use a normal tv, not paused or displaying static images for long periods or just kept on news channels,
When people say that only a few sets are affected they should ask why a well known retailer added ghosting and screen burn to their accidental damage exclusions in 2018.

Bruggelink

Most people buy an OLED tv without being a member of this or similar forums. They see OLED in the shop and simply want it because its the best image without any doubt. No-one in the shop will warn them about burnin. After a few years they WILL notice burnin, because it is almost unavoidable. There is no way the 3 different colors will age at exactly the same rate, most visible in static areas like subtitles, or gaming points and logos, also at the center of the screen where most bright faces are displayed. The RTings site is correct about that.

Make a photo of a screen with skin-color or something light pink of your TV, enhance the contrast of the picture. You will see what is coming in a few months/years. I grabbed a picture of a tv with "no burnin what-so-ever" from an OLED the The Tech Giant posted on his YouTube channel. After enhancing the contrast one could see what games he was playing, he removed the comment and the link of course. It is not a difficult choice if you have the money to replace it every 3 to 4 years.

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Here is my 2016 LG slides normal everyday use, no gaming on this set, football and just variable sources, this degradation can be seen in panning on sky or football pitches and certain colours. The yellows are now a bright green………I’m currently looking for a new TV and having also had the power board recall of my other OLED…my experience is not great.

66D719FF-A68F-4077-976B-0FF0B3FF13F2.jpeg
053019EE-C58E-4F21-BC4F-5C2BB21A5DF5.jpeg
0F7FF69B-857E-49CA-A8D3-B42AE6B90ECB.jpeg
AEF0E184-8582-4AB4-B31F-A8B72430F379.jpeg

vb47

Two words can sum all of this up; "Plasma 2020".

Plasma revisited for the 21st century. New and not improved...................

Hixs

Distinguished Member
No - improving technology.

Early models of any new tech always have issues, hence why I didn't buy until last year. Most major issues fixed now.

MEGATAMA

We will see,had bad experience with B6 and B7 now i m on G1.

JustTheFacts

No - improving technology.

Early models of any new tech always have issues, hence why I didn't buy until last year. Most major issues fixed now.
It seems most people have figured this out and agree with you. It seems as if there are just a few people on AVForums that keep this misinformation about OLED Burn In alive. It is like politics some people get a certain way of thinking in their head and don't even consider the facts; since 2018 the reports of burn in have practically disappeared.. Their mind is made up and they keep going back to it was possible with 2017 and older TVs and so it is still a problem today.

I like your statement, "Early models of any new tech always have issues."

There used to be a lot of AVForum members that would chime in and say that OLED Burn In was a problem, but now there are just a few die hard OLED Burn In activists. The problem is this kind of fake news, that OLED Burn In is still a problem, misinforms people coming to AVForums for answers. They are like OLED Burn In terrorists. A few misinformed opinionated AVForum members can put a lot of unneeded stress on OLED owners.

We are now seeing even less cases of burn in. Since 2017 methods of reducing burn risk has developed substantially to the point where many experts are now saying its a non-issue. We also in 2021 for the first time see LG's new EVO panel shipping on TVs like the LG G1, Panasonic JZ1500, JZ2000, Sony A80J and A90J whic should further reduce the risk

Last edited:

sabotage3d

Novice Member
I am with B7 for more than three years so far I can't see major problems. I am using zoomed picture at all time for TV content and have lowered the brightness. I don't browse on Netflix and Youtube on the TV but on my phone instead. I watch mainly HDR movies with subtitles. My watch time is roughly 3-4 hours a day. I will try to post pictures at some point. My TV settings are based on a calibration from this forums. The grey banding has improved over the years but still have a weird patch that I can see on football content.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom