OLED Brightness vs older (2014) LED TV

StixxUK

Standard Member
Hi, currently grappling with whether to get an OLED or Mini LED (specifically Neo QLED) set.

Aside from reliability and burn-in concerns, the killer for me is brightness. I've got my TV right next to some big bifold doors so reflections are a concern and I've also heard about sunlight damaging OLEDs - the screen is at least facing away from the window which also has some kind of solar coating but it would catch a few rays from time to time.

Narrowing it down for a second to just the brightness question - my current TV is a LED set from 2014 (LG 55lb730v) and copes ok (although would be nice if it had fewer reflections, the screen is super glossy and totally rubbish in any vaguely dark scenes).

I've struggled to find any info on the brightness of my current set, the best I found was a review stating 165.31cd/m2. Is this the same measure as nits as it seems very low by today's standards (although to be fair I've no idea what would be a fair comparison).

Anyone know if an OLED would be better or worse in this scenario?

My gut says it's not right but they just look so lovely.

next010

Distinguished Member
OLED would look better and is brighter than your old LCD by a wide margin.

Anti-reflection filter is still not the best though, Samsungs QLED is better in this area and can get much, much brighter, if sunlight and reflections are your most annoying distractions the QLED might be the way to go.

StixxUK

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply!

Is Samsung's great anti reflective properties a QLED (or at least non-OLED) thing or just a Samsung thing?

I'd have thought by now there would be some kind of universal coating that all the manufacturers adopted as it's such an age-old problem but clearly not...

jon3141

Novice Member
165 nits sounds plausible for an old LED/LCD TV. I just switched from an old semi-gloss LED/LCD to glossy OLED. The OLED is much brighter. However any bright reflections are much worse with the OLED. As I understand it, OLEDs are actually quite good at reducing the amount of reflected. However as they reflect like a mirror, rather than scattering the light, reflections end up being much more distracting. You say your current TV is already very glossy so I don't know how much worse it will be than you've already experienced.

When I was trying to decide between QLED and OLED I found this video helpful which compares reflections on a Samsung Q90T to an LG CX

I had a window to the side that I've had to move the TV further away from. I have a window opposite where I've had to add black-out curtains (normal curtains weren't sufficient). Also at some times during the day I get light shining through the side window onto the wall oppisite the TV, when this happens I also need to close the curtains on that window too. To me it was worth doing these things so I could go with an OLED but others would make a different decision.

Samsung have their own anti-reflection implementation which is linked to their Ultra Viewing angle technology. If you look at the photos in the review on rtings you can see it scatters the light in a different way than other TVs. Combined with the very high brightness that makes it excellent at handling reflections, though some people dislike the rainbow effect. Sony have their own "X-Anti Reflection" on some sizes of the X95J which I presume is somewhat similar if not as good.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom