Answered OLED bright enough? Foot-lamberts vs Nits.

Silicon Warrior

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying an LG C9 for my living room. Since the room receives a considerable amount of natural light, I'm naturally worried that the TV will not be sufficiently bright for comfortable daytime viewing. HOWEVER. For nearly 10 years, I've had a 54" Panasonic VIERA G10 Series plasma TV in that room, and I've found that it's bright enough. Therefore, if the C9's at least as bright as the G10, I think I'd be good to go!

However I'm having some trouble comparing the two TVs. A decade ago, reviewers mostly used foot-lamberts to measure brightness. Today, of course, the preferred unit of measurement is nits. On HDGuru.com, I found an article saying that my Panasonic puts out 31 ft. lamberts in THX mode, with a maximum of 92.2 ft. lamberts when contrast control was set to 100% and picture control set to Vivid.

Using a conversion calculator found at KylesConverter.com, I converted these two numbers to 106.21 nits and 315.9 nits respectively.

Here are my three questions:

[1] Am I performing this conversion properly? Can ft. lamberts be compared to nits simply by making this calculation?

[2] How does the G10's 106.21 nits/315.95 nits compare to the C9? Of course I can see all the nits figures spelled out in the dozens of reviews of the C9, but I don't fully understand under what conditions these nits were measured? I see terms like, "Peak 2% Window," "Sustained 50% Window," "Real Scene Brightness," "SDR Brightness," "HDR Brightness," "Calibrated vs. Uncalibrated Brightness" and on and on and on. Aieee. Which measured conditions would compare to the two conditions under which HDGuru measured the G10? I'm trying to do as close of an apples-to-apples comparison as is possible.

[3] Finally, would there be any reason why the C9's anti-reflective coating would be any WORSE than the G10's? (Naturally I'm concerned about this because of the amount of ambient light I'm dealing with.) I'm assuming anti-reflective coatings have only improved over time, but maybe plasma TVs had particularly good anti-reflective properties not matched by more modern televisions?

THANK YOU for any guidance you could offer here!

I'm considering buying an LG C9 for my living room. Since the room receives a considerable amount of natural light, I'm naturally worried that the TV will not be sufficiently bright for comfortable daytime viewing. HOWEVER. For nearly 10 years, I've had a 54" Panasonic VIERA G10 Series plasma TV in that room, and I've found that it's bright enough. Therefore, if the C9's at least as bright as the G10, I think I'd be good to go!

However I'm having some trouble comparing the two TVs. A decade ago, reviewers mostly used foot-lamberts to measure brightness. Today, of course, the preferred unit of measurement is nits. On HDGuru.com, I found an article saying that my Panasonic puts out 31 ft. lamberts in THX mode, with a maximum of 92.2 ft. lamberts when contrast control was set to 100% and picture control set to Vivid.

Using a conversion calculator found at KylesConverter.com, I converted these two numbers to 106.21 nits and 315.9 nits respectively.

Here are my three questions:

[1] Am I performing this conversion properly? Can ft. lamberts be compared to nits simply by making this calculation?

[2] How does the G10's 106.21 nits/315.95 nits compare to the C9? Of course I can see all the nits figures spelled out in the dozens of reviews of the C9, but I don't fully understand under what conditions these nits were measured? I see terms like, "Peak 2% Window," "Sustained 50% Window," "Real Scene Brightness," "SDR Brightness," "HDR Brightness," "Calibrated vs. Uncalibrated Brightness" and on and on and on. Aieee. Which measured conditions would compare to the two conditions under which HDGuru measured the G10? I'm trying to do as close of an apples-to-apples comparison as is possible.

[3] Finally, would there be any reason why the C9's anti-reflective coating would be any WORSE than the G10's? (Naturally I'm concerned about this because of the amount of ambient light I'm dealing with.) I'm assuming anti-reflective coatings have only improved over time, but maybe plasma TVs had particularly good anti-reflective properties not matched by more modern televisions?

Stop worrying , the c9 will be fine

I was concerned about upgrading from a 5 year old samsung led to oled. It turned out the oled as is probably brighter than that old led.
I have a bright room but would always close the curtains with the tv on anyway, oled is fine

I've tried to do a comparisson with my 4 year old samsung led. couldnt find the numbers, went for the C9, my TV sits near a huge wide window with light all day long. the C9 is so bright I cant even watch its standard mode without my eyes tearing. I use technicolor mode which is significtly less bright. the C9 blows away my samsung with regard to brightness... so dont worry.

Plasma screens are 'impulse' sets, LCD/OLED screens are 'sample and hold', I wonder if this is where the different measurements come in. Your plasma flickers, the OLED will not so you would expect the OLED to be significantly brighter.

120nits is the reference for Rec. 709 (i.e. non-HDR video). Any OLED can easily hit this so, if set to reference, it will be at least as bright as any other TV. Most people do have their sets brighter than that though.

As already said, you really don’t need to worry about brightness. There is more than enough to cope with daylight.
As far as reflections are concerned, it’s fine for casual viewing, but curtains are required for any darker programmes.
You’re ignoring a huge difference between plasma and OLED though. Plasmas contrast and blacks are hopelessly washed out in a bright room. OLED doesn’t suffer from that, so the overall picture quality in all lighting conditions is much, much better.
However, do not let direct sunlight hit the OLED. It has been proven to cause dark patches on the screen which, thankfully, self repair with the OLED automatic pixel refresh function. I wouldn’t want to try repeated exposure to sunlight though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom