Answered OLED bleeding from edges question

kirksteruk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for an OLED to have some degree of edge burning? My set has a similar effect to LED’s that have backlight bleed coming from the edges, only to a much smaller degree, which I only notice in darker rooms. I only seem to notice in 5% grey, or 5% green. I am not even convinced it is on the screen, could be a trick of the light where my eye is seeing a line where the dark border contrasts with the light. Normal people won’t notice it, but I have an OCD about it from a previous set and it does bother me a bit.

I love everything about the LGB855SLC TV and can live with it. It’s just the retailer I bought told me there should be no backlight bleed on OLED’s – which is true – but there does seem to be some bleeding noticeable whatever the technicality? Then Richer Sounds told me that it can also have bleeding on OLED's.

Last edited:
OLED's tend to have issues with near-black uniformity, hence, a panel can have slight brighter corners compared to the rest of the surface of the panel. If these bright corners are very noticeable in darker scenes it's possible that you just got a bad panel and you might get the panel replaced under warranty.

OLED's tend to have issues with near-black uniformity, hence, a panel can have slight brighter corners compared to the rest of the surface of the panel. If these bright corners are very noticeable in darker scenes it's possible that you just got a bad panel and you might get the panel replaced under warranty.
Thanks for the quick response. it is not noticable at all, only if you stare at the top screen for long periods and you happen to get a grey scene then you will see it. Just wanted to see if it was supposed to be normal because everyone is telling me there's no issues with bleeding at all for OLED's... which I think it wrong.

There are two possibilities that come to mind.
1. If the room is not pitch dark and you stare at the screen long enough your eyes will eventually pick up some reflections however slight.
2. More likely imho and what Flame89 said. The line and change of shade you see is the edge of one vertical band and the start of the next.
Every single OLED out there has these bands to some extent.
It’s complete normal and as long as they aren’t visible in the vast majority of content you are fine.
I strongly suggest for the sake of your sanity not looking for them unless they become annoying in day to day use.

There are two possibilities that come to mind.
1. If the room is not pitch dark and you stare at the screen long enough your eyes will eventually pick up some reflections however slight.
2. More likely imho and what Flame89 said. The line and change of shade you see is the edge of one vertical band and the start of the next.
Every single OLED out there has these bands to some extent.
It’s complete normal and as long as they aren’t visible in the vast majority of content you are fine.
I strongly suggest for the sake of your sanity not looking for them unless they become annoying in day to day use.
Thanks for this. You are right I need to avoid looking. As I mentioned I have OCD so it's easier said than done, but I am coming to the realization it is an irrational anxiety and I can't fault the TV for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom