OLED Atmos set up advice needed please

biddendensue

Novice Member
I've been a member of this forum for many years but haven't posted in a very long time due to abandoning forums in favour of social media back in the noughties.
Anyway, I'm going round in circles at the moment.
My current AV set-up includes a 49" LG LED TV connected to a Pioneer amp and 5.1 wired Yamaha speaker system giving me Dolby TruHD and DTS Master Audio. Underneath is a Sony 4K Blu-ray player.
Later this year I'm rehashing the whole set up. I want to go up in size to an OLED 55" panel, and want Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
However, I'd also like to minimise the amount of equipment and wiring in the room (I am constantly moaned at by my husband about it).
So should I go for a decent OLED TV connected to an Atmos soundbar via E-ARC or just one piece of tech such as the soon-to-be-released Panasonic JZ2000? I keep falling in love with this TV, then worrying about how to get the full Atmos experience from a 4K blu-ray player. Don't you need E-ARC connectivity for this? Do any 4K players have E-ARC connections?
If anyone has recommendations for the best set up to solve my problems, please offer them. I am willing to spend up to £5K for the right set up.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC and eARC are used to send the TV audio (tuner, Apps and devices connected to the TV) out to an ARC or eARC enabled sound system.

Your BDP player will connect to the TV as an external device via HDMI and if you plan to use the TV’s onboard speaker system you have no need for ARC or eARC.

A Soundbar or TV Speaker system is going to rely on your room and room layout if you are hoping to deliver an immersive sound equal too or better than your current setup - in most rooms an AVR plus wired loudspeakers is still the best option.

Joe

biddendensue

Novice Member
So to clarify, the full Dolby Atmos soundtrack of a disc will transfer to the TV through a standard HDMI lead and won't suffer from the compression, and the TV's speakers will output the true Atmos track rather than Dolby Digital Plus? (I'm talking about the Panasonic TV at the moment).

As soon as the model is released, I'll find a shop that's got it on the shelf and go along for a demo.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
To clarify :)

No inbuilt TV speakers or Soundbar are ever delivering the 'True' HD audio you hear at the Cinema - no matter which LED's light up on your kit.

Go have a listen to the TV when it arrives and decide if it delivers the sound you are after - keep in mind more complexity in one pice of kit (the TV) means more potential for that device to go wrong!

Joe

gibbsy

I'm agreeing 100% with Joe here. No TV with it's own speakers or soundbar is going to sound nowhere as good as a properly installed and configured speaker set up. With an AV amp you will use that as the HDMI hub allowing all connected devices to input HD audio including Atmos and DTS:X. You will need a minimum of seven speakers in a 5.1.2 format for best immersive sound.

If your £5K budget is for audio only and does not include a new TV then that is a very healthy budget and will get you a very usable set up.

Before we go any further though it would be a good idea to post a diagram with dimensions of your room and the proposed TV position and seating area.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom