OLED 803 contrast problems

PnPride

Novice Member
Hi, I recently purchased my first OLED and have a small problem. When there are few white elements on the screen, everything is intense, white as it should be, but when 90% of the screen is white (eg how to create a blank browser or change an e-mail) the contrast of white color fell by about 50% and looks like gray ... also catches the eye when, for example, we browse the folders on the komupeter. I checked the settings on the TV and computer, and all the options that save energy etc. are already highlighted, and I really do not know what to do with it, maybe someone has an idea?

in other words, the less white/light color is on the screen, the more intense it is.

vmagix

This is a feature of all OLED TVs, known as ABL or "auto brightness limiting" - it will reduce the brightness of large white areas to keep the power consumption at a certain level. Philips' ABL is, unfortunately a bit more aggressive compared to other OLEDs, but not by much. This is why peak brightness is generally measured on a 10% window.

Putting the contrast mode to "optimised for picture" should reduce ABL, but this option might not be available if you're using the "monitor" picture setting (aka I don't know)

PnPride

Novice Member
Thanks for input. I have already set it to "optimised for picture" (it is available in monitor mode) but the problem is still there. Is there any way to disable it? I don't care about power consumption :)

evgenyanebril

Thanks for input. I have already set it to "optimised for picture" (it is available in monitor mode) but the problem is still there. Is there any way to disable it? I don't care about power consumption :)

This is not only about power consumption, but also for avoiding overheat. As far as i know every OLED tv implemets this brightness limiter and there is no way to turn it off.

PnPride

Novice Member
It's a shame, something I have to deal with from now on then. I assume LEDs don't have problems with this? It seems OLED is not the best choice for gaming after all.

evgenyanebril

It's a shame, something I have to deal with from now on then. I assume LEDs don't have problems with this? It seems OLED is not the best choice for gaming after all.

Higher end LED tv's have higher peak brightness, yes, but OLED still have this amazing ability to control each pixel brightness individually so HDR content looks really impactfull as it should. Why would you assume OLED are not "best" for gaming? Maybe this particular one have higher input lag than others, but i have it and do not really notice lag in single player games and overall picture quality is truly amazing, be it an HDR game properly done such as God of War on PS4 pro, or Sekiro on PC that runs at 4k with solid 60 fps.
If you mean brightness.. the real life content rarely reaches peak levels of such size that requires the TV to engage the brightness limiter. On other TV's such as sony it might be more agressive, but philips handles bright HDR content fairly well and you dont want it to be blinding-bright anyway.

PnPride

Novice Member
Yeah I meant brightness, input lag is not very noticeably in single player games anyways (at least for me), picture quality, blackness and HDR are top notch but the idea that one scene would have awesome colors and deepness while other will be washout if scene is too bright is a bit off putting which disappointed me a bit and since i work with colors everyday i can see differences in brightness and vividness of colors very clearly. It seems i have to get used to it :)

donmihai70

Novice Member
Hi, I recently purchased my first OLED and have a small problem. When there are few white elements on the screen, everything is intense, white as it should be, but when 90% of the screen is white (eg how to create a blank browser or change an e-mail) the contrast of white color fell by about 50% and looks like gray ... also catches the eye when, for example, we browse the folders on the komupeter. I checked the settings on the TV and computer, and all the options that save energy etc. are already highlighted, and I really do not know what to do with it, maybe someone has an idea?

in other words, the less white/light color is on the screen, the more intense it is.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom