OLED 55 inch TV - Advice please

GJ121

Novice Member
I have seen a new Sony A8 on Ebay with 3 years Sony warranty for £985
Would you use Ebay for an offer like this or wait on Boxing Day /January Sale?

GJ121

Novice Member
Or this one. All over the place, had Sony A8 in mind but this looks a great price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211220_192605_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20211220_192605_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 58

pastrybloke19

I have seen a new Sony A8 on Ebay with 3 years Sony warranty for £985
Would you use Ebay for an offer like this or wait on Boxing Day /January Sale?
I personally wouldn’t trust EBay with any TV purchase: way too much risk of issues, what the actual warranty is, arguments with Sony/etc and with Jan sales just around the corner, best to wait.

GJ121

Novice Member
I personally wouldn’t trust EBay with any TV purchase: way too much risk of issues, what the actual warranty is, arguments with Sony/etc and with Jan sales just around the corner, best to wait.
Thank you, will just do that, seemed genuine but buying blind I suppose, you never know.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
You can buy the CX from here LG OLED55CX5LB 55" CX Series 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2020)

£839. No idea on retailer but they have a 5 year warranty.

Curry’s had it for £899 recently and indeed I bought from them but was a weekend £100 off code deal thing.

Amazon have it for £939 right now.

This is a great price for an OLED with the features of the CX. If you want an OLED and plan to game on it it’s a bargain.

GJ121

Novice Member
You can buy the CX from here LG OLED55CX5LB 55" CX Series 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2020)

£839. No idea on retailer but they have a 5 year warranty.

Curry’s had it for £899 recently and indeed I bought from them but was a weekend £100 off code deal thing.

Amazon have it for £939 right now.

This is a great price for an OLED with the features of the CX. If you want an OLED and plan to game on it it’s a bargain.
Thanks, how will it perform for motion, sports, football, films, series. I play a small amount of X Box but mainly series, films and football. Thanks

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Thanks, how will it perform for motion, sports, football, films, series. I play a small amount of X Box but mainly series, films and football. Thanks
Very well unless you really want an incredibly bright screen. But then that’s not where OLEDs shine. Honestly a full featured hdmi 2.1 OLED under £1000 is always worth it.

GJ121

Novice Member
Very well unless you really want an incredibly bright screen. But then that’s not where OLEDs shine. Honestly a full featured hdmi 2.1 OLED under £1000 is always worth it.
Thanks, I can only see it for £939, not £839. Have I done something incorrectly?
Thanks

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I can only see it for £939, not £839. Have I done something incorrectly?
Thanks
The link I sent you is £939 and the retailer has a winter 50 off code to take it to £889 code is 21WINTER50. That’s the best I can see and the cheapest the TV has ever been if you look at price tracker.

Don’t know about PRCdirect and what they are like at all but have seemingly ok reviews on trustpilot. But never dealt with them myself.

Just seen they are charging for a 3 or 5 year warranty so not quite as good as I thought. I’d still personally buy at that price. You get 12 months with LG anyway and standard retailer protection.

But I guess if you really want the warranty it’s £999 in Curry’s and John Lewis.

I’ve had the set a few days and I doubt you will be disappointed.

If you wait till this time next year there will likely be similar deals on the C1. I like buying good TVs a year out from release as you get a great spec that is often as good as the next year (CX is according to reviews slightly brighter than C1 in HDR) for a much lower price.

GJ121

Novice Member
The link I sent you is £939 and the retailer has a winter 50 off code to take it to £889 code is 21WINTER50. That’s the best I can see and the cheapest the TV has ever been if you look at price tracker.

Don’t know about PRCdirect and what they are like at all but have seemingly ok reviews on trustpilot. But never dealt with them myself.

Just seen they are charging for a 3 or 5 year warranty so not quite as good as I thought. I’d still personally buy at that price. You get 12 months with LG anyway and standard retailer protection.

But I guess if you really want the warranty it’s £999 in Curry’s and John Lewis.

If you wait till this time next year there will likely be similar deals on the C1. I like buying good TVs a year out from release as you get a great spec that is often as good as the next year (CX is according to reviews slightly brighter than C1 in HDR) for a much lower price.
Thank you for the info. I will have a think as buying in the next week. I was looking at the Philips 55 Oled 805 and the Sony 55 A8 but this is now a contender especially at that price.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Thank you for the info. I will have a think as buying in the next week. I was looking at the Philips 55 Oled 805 and the Sony 55 A8 but this is now a contender especially at that price.
I looked at all those but settled for the CX. But it does come down to usage. Good luck.

GJ121

Novice Member
Just seen this on the Sony site. Is this a good price for a refurb?

Refurbished: Sony BRAVIA XR XR55A84JU 55" OLED 4K Ultra HD HDR Google TV
£949

vickster

Distinguished Member
Only a one year warranty but you can buy a 5 year. Not sure I’d buy a used OLED to save a few quid

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Just seen this on the Sony site. Is this a good price for a refurb?

Refurbished: Sony BRAVIA XR XR55A84JU 55" OLED 4K Ultra HD HDR Google TV
£949
Looks a good price. Do you have a link? What would worry me is what they mean by refurbished. If it’s one that’s been a demo TV and still has the same panel Id not go near it.

I’d also worry if they are returns as chances are it has some uniformity issues and someone rejected it.

I haven’t ever bought refurbs so not sure what terms and conditions are. If you get a set with banding that Sony have decided is within tolerance can you send it back?

GJ121

Novice Member

Morning, I can't seem to get that code accepted in various combinations. Invalid keeps coming up. Is there any threads on here where people post deals on Boxing day / January sales?

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Morning, I can't seem to get that code accepted in various combinations. Invalid keeps coming up. Is there any threads on here where people post deals on Boxing day / January sales?
It’s expired after Christmas. It’s £899 on Amazon today.

GJ121

Novice Member
It’s expired after Christmas. It’s £899 on Amazon today.
Okay thanks, still pondering over this and other models mentioned.
This seems a great price for an LG but quite fancy the amblight I think.
Decisions decisions.

GJ121

Novice Member
Narrowed down to:-
Philips 706 55 Oled
Philips 805 55 Oled
LG CX 55 Oled
I am not a big gamer but play a few hours a week.
Watch films, series and sport so thinking Philips may be better for motion.

706 is £979
805 is £999
CX is £899
Thoughts appreciated on final 3.
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification