OLED 55 inch TV - Advice please

vickster

Distinguished Member

lynx

Senior Moderator
Not all Costco warehouses carry the same stock nor necesseraly sell at the same price.

GJ121

Novice Member
The person who made the listing made a typo. There's no difference in each TV model number.
Great, thanks. Is that a decent TV and price in your opinion even though its a 2020 model. Only play x box for 5 or 6 hours a week. Mainly watching Series, films and sports. Thanks

martin 39

Its a great tv but with the new model only being £100 more expensive especially with boxing day sales in a week i might be tempted to wait

GJ121

Novice Member
Is the new model the XR55A80?
Cheapest I see that is £1299 as not available at Costco anymore for £1079.

GJ121

Novice Member
Is the new model the XR55A80?
Cheapest I see that is £1299 as not available at Costco anymore for £1079

martin 39

Yes its the a80j i would think boxing day it would drop again. I usually ring round a few shops see who will do the best deal

GJ121

Novice Member
Good price for this model??
Screenshot_20211217_130359_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

GJ121

Novice Member
Yes, although look at other OLEDs too, some very good prices going round on older stock like this at the moment, and even newer stock like the Philips OLED706.
Thank you, just trying to make the right decision. My head is a blur. Thinking the Sony A8 or A80 but saw this too.
Now torn between Sony and Panasonic although if Philips price has dropped again it may be back in contention.
I will be purchasing on Boxing Day so will keep an eye out for best deals.

Dodgexander

My advice would be to keep your options open but decide on a priority list. The best deals come to those that study the market for a while and swoop on the right deal, and not necessarily those that decide they are going to purchase at a set moment.

A good reason to go for a TV like the Philips OLED706 or even LG CX would be HDMI 2.1.
Same with the Sony A80J compared to the A8.

There's no 'one best' model for all, entirely depends on what your own preferences and the type of content you watch.

GJ121

Novice Member
My advice would be to keep your options open but decide on a priority list. The best deals come to those that study the market for a while and swoop on the right deal, and not necessarily those that decide they are going to purchase at a set moment.

A good reason to go for a TV like the Philips OLED706 or even LG CX would be HDMI 2.1.
Same with the Sony A80J compared to the A8.

There's no 'one best' model for all, entirely depends on what your own preferences and the type of content you watch.
Thanks, maximum 10 hours gaming a week, other than that football, sports, films, series and streaming.

Dodgexander

Thanks, maximum 10 hours gaming a week, other than that football, sports, films, series and streaming.
But how much do you value each thing? It can be different based on your priorities.

Sport - Motion can be important, Philips and Sony TVs have the edge.
Gaming - LG have the best features, HDMI 2.1 adds 4k 120hz support.
Films - Panasonic have the most accurate picture out of the box.
Streaming - App choice on some TVs is good, other TVs bad. Should be covered in the guide.

GJ121

Novice Member
But how much do you value each thing? It can be different based on your priorities.

Sport - Motion can be important, Philips and Sony TVs have the edge.
Gaming - LG have the best features, HDMI 2.1 adds 4k 120hz support.
Films - Panasonic have the most accurate picture out of the box.
Streaming - App choice on some TVs is good, other TVs bad. Should be covered in the guide.
Thanks, so which one provides most apps and best motion?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification