OLED 55 inch TV - Advice please

GJ121

Novice Member
Hello everyone,
I am a novice in the World of OLED TV but am looking for advice please on a 55 inch version.

My favourite things to watch are football, sport, films and streaming TV series through a variety of platforms on the Nvidia Shield Tube.

I have narrowed down my search to the following but any other suggestions would be greatly received :-

LG OLED55CX5LB 55 4K Ultra HD OLED Smart TV £999

Panasonic TX55HZ980 £900

Hisense A9G 55" £999

I was also contemplating the Philips OLED 706. £979

These are all in my budget which is around £1000 - do you think any of these prices could drop in Boxing Day /January sales.

Thanks in advance.

Dodgexander

NEW: My best value TVs, 2021-2022 Edition & 2021-2022 OLED Comparison hopefully help you.

The LG CX and Panasonic HZ980 are last year's models, already over a year on the shelf and unlikely to be discounted. These have been replaced by the C1 and JZ980 mentioned in the guide and perform similarly. The 2020 Panasonic models have better shadow detail than the 2021 ones, but no HDMI 2.1.
Philips OLED706 whilst a 2021 model came out early this year, also can't see it being reduced much more.

Hisense A9G not really worth considering, they seem to have issues this year and their picture processing is behind the curve.

I think the $900-1000 figure is where they start selling OLEDs close to cost, out of the ones you've picked out, most people would go for the LG CX or Philips OLED706.

GJ121

Novice Member
NEW: My best value TVs, 2021-2022 Edition & 2021-2022 OLED Comparison hopefully help you.

The LG CX and Panasonic HZ980 are last year's models, already over a year on the shelf and unlikely to be discounted. These have been replaced by the C1 and JZ980 mentioned in the guide and perform similarly. The 2020 Panasonic models have better shadow detail than the 2021 ones, but no HDMI 2.1.
Philips OLED706 whilst a 2021 model came out early this year, also can't see it being reduced much more.

Hisense A9G not really worth considering, they seem to have issues this year and their picture processing is behind the curve.

I think the $900-1000 figure is where they start selling OLEDs close to cost, out of the ones you've picked out, most people would go for the LG CX or Philips OLED706.
Thank you for your advice, I will look as your guide to see if any others may also be suitable.
Out of interest would you think a refurbished or graded model would be worth looking at (only 2 year warranty generally) as these are £600-£700 approximately.
Thanks

GJ121

Novice Member
Thank you for your advice, I will look as your guide to see if any others may also be suitable.
Out of interest would you think a refurbished or graded model would be worth looking at (only 2 year warranty generally) as these are £600-£700 approximately.
Thanks
I meant to ask in earlier message also I found this link, is there anything wrong with last year's model for the Philips 55 Oled 705 as it is priced at £789 on link below

Philips Ambilight 55OLED705/12 55-Inch OLED TV (4K UHD, P5 AI Perfect Picture Engine, Dolby Vision∙Atmos, HDR 10+, Freeview Play, Compatible with Alexa, Android TV) Chrome (2021/2022 Model) (Renewed) – Firezy

Dodgexander

You can see from the refurbished threads I've linked most people are happy to take the risk with a refurb, but I wouldn't just order one from anywhere. The Panasonic and Sony outlets seem legitimate, the Sony one even lets you contact them to buy a 5 year warranty with what you buy.

No idea about Firezy as I've never heard of them.

Aside from HDMI 2.1 there's very little different between last years models and this years, so if you're looking to making a saving it may be worth it.

vickster

Distinguished Member
That looks a very dodgy site…see the about us gobbledegook :eek:

I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole, did you do a Google search, check the company credentials, address etc?

buy from John Lewis or Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks etc for an established nationwide business, known customer service and extended warranty. Use a credit card for purchase protection

GJ121

Novice Member
That looks a very dodgy site…see the about us gobbledegook :eek:

I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole, did you do a Google search, check the company credentials, address etc?

buy from John Lewis or Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks etc for an established nationwide business, known customer service and extended warranty. Use a credit card for purchase protection
Thank you all for the advice, so only the advised refurbished sites like the E-Bay Panasonic one and the Sony Centre Refurbished area or buy new for the 5 or 6 year warranty?
I was just trying to save a few hundred but might be better buying new.
Out of the Philips 55 Oled 706 or LG55 C1 which would you go for?
I have seen this LG for sale but not sure if its the same model as a couple of hundred cheaper?

mikej

Thank you all for the advice, so only the advised refurbished sites like the E-Bay Panasonic one and the Sony Centre Refurbished area or buy new for the 5 or 6 year warranty?
If ever you're unsure about a company/website, two good places to look are the Government's Companies House site (for company info) and who.is (for website domain info).

A quick search for 'firezy' on those sites gives no company results and a website that was only registered in July 2021 and just for a year - both of those should ring alarm bells.

To be honest, just the fact that you might feel the need to look up a company on those sites alone is probably an indication it should be avoided ! It's always good to stick to established / recommended retailers for expensive TV purchases like this, many of whom will include a free extended warranty for peace of mind.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Out of the Philips 55 Oled 706 or LG55 C1 which would you go for?
I have seen this LG for sale but not sure if its the same model as a couple of hundred cheaper?
Sevenoaks and RS have clearance offers (usually ex display) and JL have open box clearance in stores…but usually these are collection only.
If you plan to keep your TV for 5 years or more, an extra £200 buying from an established retailer with 5 year warranty represents to an extra £40 a year or a meal out…

vickster

Distinguished Member
Remember if a bricks and mortar store offering like for like eg a 5 year warranty, you can always ask JL or RS to price match / price beat. Both will also do retrospective price matching so if prices come down in the next 14 (RS) or 28 (JL) days you can request to get a refund of the difference. This should cover the upcoming Christmas sales

GJ121

Novice Member
Thanks, the link I posted above from THT has a 5 year warranty and is £1099 for the LG 55OLEDC1, they have great reviews on Trust Pilot. Just not sure whether to go for Philips 55 Oled 706 for £979 or pay the extra £120 for the LG. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Dodgexander

Thanks, the link I posted above from THT has a 5 year warranty and is £1099 for the LG 55OLEDC1, they have great reviews on Trust Pilot. Just not sure whether to go for Philips 55 Oled 706 for £979 or pay the extra £120 for the LG. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
I think most people would pay the extra for the LG but it does depend on your own preferences.

For example, someone recently bough the Philips OLED706 because they wanted to have Android built in for features like Chromecast. Other people have bought it because of its motion processing and upscaling, whilst others Ambilight.

In most ways though the LG is a better all-round TV, a bit brighter and more suited to HDR material. It will have less bugs, an easier to use smart platform and is more future proof.

martin 39

Screenshot_20211215_221621_com.tippingcanoe.hukd.jpg

mikej

Found it but how do you order via the best deals site? Thanks
That John Lewis offer is presumably an instore offer so not available online, plus it'll just be that one particular store.

GJ121

Novice Member
That John Lewis offer is presumably an instore offer so not available online, plus it'll just be that one particular store.
I am in Scotland, do you think they would deliver if I called or would I need to physically get to the store?

GJ121

Novice Member
My last question, I have ruled out the Philips I think due to potential issues.
I see a price of £1099 for the Sony KD55A8 - is this a good price?

Decision is between LG Oled 55c1 or the Sony KD55A8.

Been told by a few people the Sony is very good.
Both are the same price of £1099.

Any thoughts on the 2 models mentioned?
Thanks

mikej

I am in Scotland, do you think they would deliver if I called or would I need to physically get to the store?
In-store offers are usually isolated examples and often limited to that particular store only. For those offers, you usually have to visit and take it away yourself. The A8 is a 2020 model so it'll be ex-display or a box they've had knocking around the store room for (almost) a couple of years !

mikej

My last question, I have ruled out the Philips I think due to potential issues.
I see a price of £1099 for the Sony KD55A8 - is this a good price?

Decision is between LG Oled 55c1 or the Sony KD55A8.

Been told by a few people the Sony is very good.
Both are the same price of £1099.

Any thoughts on the 2 models mentioned?
Thanks
The 55" Sony A8 was around £1800 when it was released, so yes - that's a good price. Note that it's a 2020 model though and the only HDMI 2.1 feature it has is eARC, so I would definitely rule it out if you're a gamer - the LG C1 would be a much better option in that case. Sony TVs tend to utilise the screen for audio, so their in-built speakers sound better than other manufacturers who don't. This won't be an issue if you use an external sound system though, obviously.

I would think about your usage and read reviews of each to see which might suit you better.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification