1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldish 15" TFT as TV?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paiger, May 23, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a CTX 15" TFT monitor that is kind of surplus as I have upgraded to an 18", now that they are cheaper. I was wondering if it would be possible to use it as a spare telly in the bedroom as it could be hung on the wall. It would be used in conjunction with a Sky box and I guess I would have to have a small amp and some speakers which is no probs.

How would it perform? Is this silly, and should I just buy a 15" LCD telly?

2. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It should work fine, you need a prov box or similar to send the signal via RF,svid or composite to vga.. plug some speakers into the headphone jack and your set to go. Prov is about £100 and speakers you can do anything.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Be very careful here, check the freq that the old panel can deal with, many don't like stuff as low as PS DVD / TV

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2nd a Pro V for this very use :smashin:

Have a 15" TFT on another PC with a Pro V & it's ideal as a "2nd" TV @ 1024x768. Sky via s-video rivals most dedicated LCD TVs & RF ain't too bad either.

Add any stereo system & "Bob's yer uncle, Kate's your aunt" - 15" LCD TV with added PC functionality!

BTW, Philips Brilliance 15" TFT in use here with Pro V as 2nd TV.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, now I'm really confused. What is a Pro V and where can I get one. My LCD only has a VGA input, I'll have to dig out the instructions to find out about this frequency thing.

What I'm thinking is getting one of them cheap Sony DAV jobs and tucking it away for the sound. DVD's from my Vaio look good on the monitor and 5.1 would be nice.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pro V here . Usually in "today's specials" though well under £100.

Will work perfectly with that monitor.