1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oldies valve tube based units or new stuff

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by khalilk, Jul 26, 2005.

1. khalilk

khalilk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello ,

help me out understand the difference in performance ie quality wise .. ie goldy oldies tube / valve based units compared to the new digital stuff

which will produce a quality detailed clear sound stage out of the two technologies !

personally i have listened to records and CDs , the records through a decent record player does sound better than a CD !

any thoughts ?

regards KK

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thats a bit of a difficult question to answer....each technology has it's good and it's bad examples,and there are as many poor valve amps as there are poor SS designs.

I've owned several of each,and I'd say that in the lower price ranges,SS designs are likely to offer you reasonable sound quality,and plenty of power,but much of the cost of good valve amplifier is in the transformers,and in the internal components,although tubes(esp 300B's)can be very pricey also.

Both technologies can produce very convincing soundstages,and in the end,the best judge is going to be your own ears,and how deep your pocket is.

I'm sorry if it seems a vague answer,but sound quality is a very subjective field,and you really need to try a few good tubed amps and compare with some decent SS designs to get a feel for the differences....many will say that tube amps sound softer,but that isn't always the case,and a good one certainly won't sound slow.

3. BUGANNA

BUGANNA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes

and also, most so called ' new' amp designs, are actually based on circuits going back many decades. but have nasty micro-chips inside, as they are cheaper to build

however, old tube amps can suffer from power supply fatigue/failure , and are, well old, and dont have cutting edge build quality

I would go for a modern tube amp, based on a nice simple psuh-pull circuit, using cheaper but excellent, EL34 tubes

basically, any amp, that uses any ICs ( microchips ) is NOT a high end amp........no high end or good quality amp should ever use ICs.........

yes, records sound better, because there is much more information on a record , that there is on a cd................