1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldie amp comparisons please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tuttonp, Sep 27, 2002.

1. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been offered a Pioneer VSA-E06 as a swap for my existing Denon AVR-2700. I know neither are what you'd call current and I know none of them offer DTS (Not that I'm too worried about that) . The benefits I can see from the Pioneer is it offers THX which the Denon does not, but I loose the Reciever. Does anyone have an opinion/view on whether I'm taking a forward or backward step. Also anyone know if the Pioneer offers 'midnight Listening' useful but not essential for me.

Paul

P.S I've heard tales that there is an aftermarket conversion that would allow the pioneer to decode DTS, though I'm not sure that this is current/true.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The fact that something is thx or not doesnt really mean it will be better, imply conform to a certain set of specs.

You can buy a millenium decoder thingy (may only be available 2nd hand though) to add dts. I dont know the details of it though.

Can you listen to the pioneer before you swap? Are you happy with the denon? If so, i wouldnt bother changing. If you are only ok with your current amp, a change is always fun if nothing else! You arent losing any money either way.

ad

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have a word with Army Bloke as he's got the Pioneer.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Not sure if the Denon you have is high or low end, but the Pioneer is a fantastic amp.

One thing however....don't pay more than £250 for one, I just sold my 3090 (which is comparable to the Pioneer) for the same price.

If you hunt around you can pick up a yamaha DSP A2 for £250, I recently got an A1 for that price too.

DTS, well opinion differs on this one. Personally I wouldn't be without it, but there a few movies which actually benefit from it.

Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator are the only ones which spring to mind, but it's all a case of personal preferences.

5. tuttonp

tuttonp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian J - It's Army Bloke's I'm buying/swapping :D

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: