Oldest recordings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobbles, Dec 7, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do your oldest recordings still work ok

My oldest recordings are about a year old (I think)and they are still fine but I remember someone saying that the dye may degrade and the discs become unplayable

This worried me at the time, has it happened to anyone yet?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It has on other forums, some within 3 months.

It is aldo happening to some commercial dvd's which are unplayable due to deterioration.

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard of that with commercial dual layer dyds due to the glue used to stick them. It was my understanding that this was resolved.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My oldest recordings are three years old with no problems, Panasonic discs, Panasonic recorder ( DMR-E20, no longer have it ).
    Some cheaper discs have dye fade, it is odd that the original tapes may well outlast the copy onto disc. I notice that as Philips had Perfect Sound That Lasts Forever marketing CD, they are making similar false claim for archiving onto DVD. :suicide:

5. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had some fail about three months after the recordings were made, but touch wood the vast majority seem ok now a year on.

If they fail they fail though, I'm certainly not going to spend any time making backups of my backups periodically.

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The only realistic long term storage of information is to type onto paper, that will probably still be readable in 500 years time given reasonable storage. Does anyone really expect to be able to play an old dvd in 50 years time?

My father worked in the tv industry and managed to arrange to salvage thousands of hours of archived tv material on tape by refurbishing virtually the last machine in the world that could still play them, so they can be recorded onto new media. Had the machine been scrapped or irrepairable they would have been lost for ever.

What about the project to record loads of information onto laser disc about 20 years ago, they now cant be read so all the money and time was wasted.

7. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Doomsday Project hasn't been lost - the laser players failed but the information stored on the disks has been successfully transferred to DVD ROM.
    When I can find the link I'll post it here.

8. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0