1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldest PJ

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by casha, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casha

casha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been offerred a Marquee 8500 with 39K hours, manufactured September 96, with VDC refurbished green and blue tubes for £2600 including shipping from Canada. Comments?
    What's the oldest PJ anyone has come across?

Aaron

2. MALC

MALC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    from who in Canada as there are some trustworthy sources out there.

3. casha

casha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Curt Palme who has a great reputation on AVS Forum!:D
    What I wanted to know has anybody heard of an older PJ

aaron

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Aaron,

My ecp 4501 was manufactured in 95, so the age isn't really an issue. The 39k hours might be an issue though but if it's got new tubes then that should be OK.

My main concern would be support in the event of any problems. I have the greatest respect for Curt Palme over on AVS (and I'd hate to do him out of a sale) but there doesn't seem to be too many Electrohome projectors around in the UK and I'd wonder if you'd be better off getting a reconditioned unit from one of the crt suppliers in the UK... one of them should be on some other post not too far from this one !!!!

Barco projectors are far more common in the UK and there will be more spare parts available. Getting a projector in the UK will also mean that you don't spend so much on shipping and duty from Canada.

Brian

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I still look after a Barco data 600 projector that I orginally sold when I was at Barco that has never been switch off since it was installed in 1999. I think it's on its 5th set of tubes. It has done over 100,000hrs. Not the same powersupply or EHT circuits.

Whilst people who visit here regularly will know my beliefs on run times I would start to get concerned about a PJ with 39k hrs. Unless at the very least the Splitter and Quadrupler had been changed out. However Curt is a good guy and will not stich you up. £2.5k is a good price for an 8" EMF projector. Brian is right about spares for E'homes they can be hard to come by in the UK since Chrsitie and VDC changed ownership.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "What's the oldest PJ anyone has come across? "

I've got a circa '82 Grundig Cinema 9000 in the garage somewhere. Floor-to-ceiling-mount conversion and a big, *heavy* lugnut.

I've seen 1950's (?) Kloss (?) projectors on eBay once or twice.

Mike.

7. Andy F

Andy F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Grundig 9000 Super Color Cinema - that brings back memories!

I bought one for £40 from a vicar (stiffed I was!) - the thing lasted for about a week. Some effort had been put into disguising it as a coffee table, but it was actually just an ugly box about the size of a washing machine. Still it gave me a taste, and I subscribed to uk.media.home-cinema and bought my first copy of Home Cinema Choice on the back of that. That must've been 6 years ago now.

My 2nd projector was even older. I think it was a Ferguson. That looked more like piece of bedroom furniture. The CRTs fired onto a mirror, which in turn bounced the image onto an enormous curved screen. Another £50 wasted - but remarkably I managed to get my money back this time!

I then went RCF5001, Seleco 400, and have recently took a backwards step and repalced the Seleco with a Sony VPL-400Q lcd jobbie... Actually, the Seleco's not replaced in that I've not found a buyer for it yet. Not that this is an advert or anything. ;)

Yup, I'll always have fond memories of my aged Grundig.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.