Older Unifi AP's..is this lot worth a purchase?

jouster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone local to me is selling a number of Unifi products...as below;

1 x Unifi AP AC Lite

3 x Unifi AP

No idea on the age of these but apparently all in full working order. Pics attached so happy for anyone to let me know any more info about either of the models.

Someone is looking for £50 for the lot. That includes 4 needed POE injectors and also the wall/ceiling mounting hardware. Apparently it is kit left over form a small office install

Ive heard great things about Unifi kit and although my Cisco APs work well, they are a bit older and the software is pretty complex in autonomous mode and I like the idea of somehting a bit more confirgurable and screenshots ive seen of Unifi APs and the control of them looks pretty cool.

I understand I need to run a conrtoller 24/7 to get the most from the Ubiquiti kit and Ive managed to download andinstall this running in a Docker on my Synology NAS which is running 24/7...thought I might have required some sort of hardware, so this was a pleasants surpise

So is this worth me picking up....it might be overkill for my needs, home is about 3000 sq ft and Id intend to run this network alongside my BT WHP setup (currently 4 discs) which is just used for my phones. tablets and laptops. My existing Cisco APs (4 of them) cover all other wifi devices in the house, mainly IOT stuff and guests....but any extra configuration would be cool (and its too complex or maybe not even possible on my Cisco stuff.

Probably worth adding none of this wil be used on antyhing otehr than standard unmanaged switches....so no other ubiquiti kit

Thanks in advance for any info you think might be useful

Last edited:
You'd be best reading into the specs of them compared to whatever Cisco APs you have. I used to have the UAP and have since replaced them all with newer kit twice over (AC Pro and then WiFi 6) so they are a bit long in the tooth.

ACs are only 2.4Ghz the AC Lite should be fine as long as they supply the correct PoE injector as they were I believe 24v Passive. Honestly save your money and buy a 3 Pack of AC Lites or if you want the latest buy the Wifi6 AC Lites. Anything more is overkill for most domestic setups

ACs are only 2.4Ghz the AC Lite should be fine as long as they supply the correct PoE injector as they were I believe 24v Passive. Honestly save your money and buy a 3 Pack of AC Lites or if you want the latest buy the Wifi6 AC Lites. Anything more is overkill for most domestic setups
Is this still the case if it’s only for my IOT stuff.

Appreciate there is newer/better stuff out there but as I’ll have a second mesh running I don’t need two top end systems

A second mesh will just be messy. You can have up to 4 SSIDs on each Ubiquiti AP just set up a separate SSID for your IoT stuff on its own vlan.

The basic APs may already be EOL which means you would have to have access to an old controller firmware before support stopped to be able to set them up on a new install. Nothing wrong with the AC Lites though.

Maybe I’ll pic’ up 2 or 3 new Lites. Sounds like they’ll give me what I need. I do like the look of the controller GUI so would be good to play

If you are buying new, then the wifi 6 AC Lites would be a better bet as they are the brand new versions, so likely to remain a supported product for longer than the previous models.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom