1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older projector @ 800x600; worth it?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ghoti, Apr 5, 2003.

1. ghoti

ghoti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just started building my HTPC and I have access to an older projector. The projector has a max resolution of 800x600. Connected to my HTPC VGA (or S-Vid), will I get a 'better' picture than that of my TV, or will it just be bigger? Is it even worth it?

Thanks in advance,
    ghoti

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Is it native 800 x 600 or is it a 640 x 480 device that can accept and downscale 800x600?

Depends how good your current TV is. Quite likely it could be worse

Gordon

3. ghoti

ghoti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Native @ 640x480. TV is a 4-5 years old Sony Trinitron 27" (don't know model #); picture is OK.

I guess I'm still confused about DVD resolutions, and I've been reading this forum for several weeks.

ghoti

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    It depends. You are likely to introduce atifacts into the picture that you don't currently have. They may distract you from just watching the TV.

By artifacts I mean anything that isn't right with the picture. Cheap LCD pjs can often introduce a chickenwire effect where you are aware of a fine grid over your image. This is far too distracting for me.

Older pjs can often produce smearing which is another distraction.
    This combined with iffy colours, inability to invert the pj/correct for keystone/etc could be enough to make it too compromised.

I would say it isn't worth it unless you have some other overiding factor. EG you need to floorspace, of at the moment your telly is in front of a fireplace that you would rather expose.

One good use for it (If it's free or very cheap) is for the odd gaming session. At work here we've been having huge fun playing Gran Turismo 3 on a white wall with a force feedback steering wheel! - pj makes a big difference to getting non-gamers involved.

Hope that helps
    Alex

5. ghoti

ghoti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input. I think I'm going to borrow the pj and try it out anyway.

I get motion sick with 1st person games on a 17" screen. I'd hate to think how bad I'd feel on a 100". :) (But, I'm going to try it just for grins)

Again, thanks!

ghoti