1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older model better? Opinions needed.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hendrik71, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Hendrik71

Hendrik71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m about to make my first 'AV' audio system purchase. I went to a very renowned retailer and asked for advice.

The speakers we want are the KEF HTS2001 satellite speakers (5x)

I wanted the Sony STR-VA333ES receiver, because of the specs, but the seller advised against it. The sound of the Sony does not match well with the KEF speakers. He recommended a ‘warmer’ sound from receivers like Marantz or NAD.

His advice was to get the Marantz RS7000 receiver. An older model, but a very good performer, and for a sharp price. He said the performance of this older RS7000 is even better than the newer RS7300. Only the features are better on the new model.

Probably I will not use these newer features. DTS is important. A 5-speaker setup is the maximum at this moment.

He recommended the REL Quake subwoofer to complete the set, instead of the KEF PSW2000.

What are your opinions? It’s hard to belief that a cheaper and older model is a better performer.

Thank you.

Hendrik

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It sounds like he had too many of the old Receivers left over and needed to shift them. There have been rare occasions where a new model doesn't sound as good as the old one and the Sony 1070 and 940 spring to mind here.

I am not a great lover of the REL Quake but prefer the MJ Acoustics Pro 50. Have a listen to that as an alternative if possible.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd probably agree with your sales man about the fact that there's better synergy available through choosing a receiver other than the STRVA333ES to match the kefs.

Denon's new AVR2803 would probably be a better match or the next sony up the food chain (the STRVA555ES).