Older Lenses

M

midtones

Howdy chaps,

For something different I fancied using the older lenses on my 30d.

The EOS mount appears to be very flexible, you can pretty much get an adapter for any type of lens.

I did some reading and decided on a M42 adapter.

You can find out more about that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_lens_mount

A huge number of lenses were made with M42 fitment, from Pentax to Carl Zeiss and a whole host of Russian stuff.

Here is one of the main sites with lots of lenses listed:

http://m42.povlab.org/

Manual Focus forum, excellent stuff here too:

http://oomz.net/mf/

The common adapters can be bought on e-bay for a few quid (you can get M42 to Nikon too). The obvious issue is no auto-focus, and full manual control. This does mean you can't just snap away, but take a minute and think about the shot :)

The EOS cameras (not sure bout Nikon) will meter for exposure, so you just put the camera in Av or M mode (the aperature will stay 00) and turn the aperature ring like normal and the camera will set the shutter speed.

At F/8 or so the VF is pretty dark to focus with, (the AF confirmation adapter comes in handy here or a split-prism replacement VF screen) but it's not impossible. You can stop down to say F/2, focus with a bright VF then change to whatever you want.

As most of the lenses are primes you get a lot of ranges upto around 200mm and F/1.4 to F/4.

The newer adapters for EOS have some electronics which will give you focus confirmation when you manually focus, which is brilliant and they don't cost too much on e-bay.

It's definately something worth getting if you have or plan to get a lot of these golden oldies.

Price wise you can pick up a bargain on the M42's on e-bay or camera shops in the used section.

I bought a Pentax Super Takumar 55mm F/2 with EOS adapter for 30quid locally. It's really surprising how good these oldies can be! It's from the 1960s.

There is a F/1.4 version which is meant to be one of the best around, I have my eye on that one on e-bay and it's about 30quid.

Another lens with a good reputation is the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar MC S 135mm F/3.5 (what a mouthful). Search around those above links and it gets highly praised. Mint condition ones on e-bay go for about £40-60quid.

Below are some test shots I did with the Takumar. Just a resize or crop, but with no post-processing. All shots were standard picture style and jpeg in camera setting.

Nice background blur at F2:
199861767_bcc38b1207_o.jpg

Crop of the chair:
199861242_300c733dd4_o.jpg

Fabric at F2.8:
199861510_0a8c9dcaaf_o.jpg

DoF at F2:
199861343_a402cb0583_o.jpg

As you can see, it's very sharp. I reckon it's better than my Canon 50mm 1.8. So if you can pick up a bargain, or there's a bunch of old lenses up in the loft, get them out!

K.

BananaTiger

I hear that the russian Helios lenses are quite good :thumbsup: Not confident in my manual abilities as of yet so haven't given these golden oldies a proper look yet.

h4rri

Hmm, have access to alot of older Pentax lenses so considered this but to be honest have matched their focal range in new lenses now so not really an issue.

Nice results mate and good to see it can be done :)

M

midtones

BananaTiger said:
I hear that the russian Helios lenses are quite good :thumbsup: Not confident in my manual abilities as of yet so haven't given these golden oldies a proper look yet.

I have heard about those Helios ones :)

K.

M

midtones

h4rri said:
Hmm, have access to alot of older Pentax lenses so considered this but to be honest have matched their focal range in new lenses now so not really an issue.

Nice results mate and good to see it can be done :)

Cheers :)

K.

Soundgeek

Hey there,

I too am interested in the possibility of getting an m42 to eos adaptor mount.
I am getting a 350d but my dad has a couple of old fujinon lenses that I wouldn't mind trying on it, espescially the brilliant ebc 50mm f1.4 lense.

M

midtones

Soundgeek said:
Hey there,

I too am interested in the possibility of getting an m42 to eos adaptor mount.
I am getting a 350d but my dad has a couple of old fujinon lenses that I wouldn't mind trying on it, espescially the brilliant ebc 50mm f1.4 lense.

Nice lens, if you can live with no focus confirmation light/beep you can pick up a normal adapter here in the UK for a few quid.

If you want the newer one with focus confirmation I think they are all from places like Hong Kong.

Here is one they tested on the manual focus forum:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZhappypagehk

Think it works out to be like 35quid or so.

K.

Soundgeek

Yeah had a look on ebay and think i will just get the basic adaptor (About $10 here in Australia)

The other two lenses that he has are the ebc 100mm f2.8 and a standard fujinon 75-150mm f4.5 lense.

I am particularly interested in seeing how the 50mm and 100mm perform.

I

imcarm

I purchased an old Panagor 55mm f 3 macro lense from ebay a few days ago, it arrived this morning so I had a bit of time to clip it on and try it out. It's solid metal and quite heavy and the build quality is superb.

I will take some macro shots with it tonight and post 'em here, it's manual focus only.

Can older lenses really cut the mustard when compared with modern ones?

M

midtones

Soundgeek said:
Yeah had a look on ebay and think i will just get the basic adaptor (About $10 here in Australia)

The other two lenses that he has are the ebc 100mm f2.8 and a standard fujinon 75-150mm f4.5 lense.

I am particularly interested in seeing how the 50mm and 100mm perform.

Cool, if there is no physical problem with the lens it should be good :)

K.

M

midtones

imcarm said:
I purchased an old Panagor 55mm f 3 macro lense from ebay a few days ago, it arrived this morning so I had a bit of time to clip it on and try it out. It's solid metal and quite heavy and the build quality is superb.

I will take some macro shots with it tonight and post 'em here, it's manual focus only.

Can older lenses really cut the mustard when compared with modern ones?

If you can take the time to get good manual focus, decent old ones can I think.

The shots I posted with the Takumar 55mm look really good (to my eyes :rotfl: )

K.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom