Older HDMI leads with latest players/tv

D

Deleted member 275754

Might sound like an obvious question, but I'm giving away a Panasonic 120 Bluray player, which is a current model with 3D and I want to make sure the recipient has a working lead straight away.

The 120 is 3D but the tv is not, yet is a recent model.

Nowadays leads seem to sold described as "High Speed" or otherwise, rather than using the old version numbers ( 1.3, 1.4 etc. ) presumably indicating 3D compatability if high speed.

I'm new to 3D and need to ask this ............

Is "high speed" or 1.4 only needed to pass over 3D and if you're not going to be involved with 3D would an older 1.3 HDMI lead be perfectly fine with no loss of 2 D quality compared to a latest high speed lead being used ?

I have good quality spare 1.3 lead to give away. Is this all that is needed if 2 D is all that will be seen ?

( For myself I'll be buying a 3D compatible lead to plug into my 3D tv, as I will be watching 3D )

Thanks.

Firstly a 1.3 and 1.4 spec cable are exactly the same there was no change. Also cheap non high speed cables will still probably work with 3d over short distances but high speed cables are tested at the required bandwidth for 3d. Finally you can get a high speed cable for £5.

Okay, so "High Speed" is just about handling 3D and particularly over longer distances.

My HD Cables 1.3 would therefore be fine to give away with the Panasonic 120, which though a 3D player, will only be used for 2D playback ( due to her tv being 2D ).

Okay, so "High Speed" is just about handling 3D and particularly over longer distances.

My HD Cables 1.3 would therefore be fine to give away with the Panasonic 120, which though a 3D player, will only be used for 2D playback ( due to her tv being 2D ).

No really it's the ability to send a certain bandwidth load over a certain distance and meet an HDMI signal test criteria. Bandwidth is determined by things like resolution, frequency, bit depth etc. 080p/24 Blu-ray 3D is takes less bandwidth than a 1080p/60 signal of the same bit depth. Using HDMI Deep Colour increases the bandwidth requirement.

Avi

Hmmm, okay so more issues than just 3D then.

The length of my cast-off 1.3 cable is 4m. The player is the Pansonic 120. The tv it will connected to is some kind of cheapish yet up to date 1080 Samsung 32".

What do you reckon ? My cable good enough or buy her a new one , say a high speed Mark Grant for instance, for all the money.

Hmmm, okay so more issues than just 3D then.

The length of my cast-off 1.3 cable is 4m. The player is the Pansonic 120. The tv it will connected to is some kind of cheapish yet up to date 1080 Samsung 32".

What do you reckon ? My cable good enough or buy her a new one , say a high speed Mark Grant for instance, for all the money.

Only way to know for sure is try it but there's a good chance it will work especially with 1080p/24 output at 24p.

Avi

It is all complete bull with these cables. It's borderline fraud, definitely misleading advertising. Other industries can't so it. A digital cable is a digital cable. As long as it connects properly and you get a signal through, it will either work or it won't. You will get a perfect picture and sound transmission of the 1's and 0's through it or you will get catastrophic break up, nothing in between. Remember it is just that, 1's and 0's. It isn't analogue picture and sound.

You wouldn't upgrade your printer cable to get a better print out and they all work fine over the sort of distances we need, even for big lounges and long leads. Don't believe the hype, or anyone who might tell you different.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom