Older 7.1 receiver recommendations

Tailspin91

Novice Member
My current Yamaha receiver does not have HDMI inputs so I use optical connections and thus have to downmix to DD 5.1 (AC3) audio. I am not ready to invest in an Atmos/X setup so I am looking to buy a cheap 7 channel ~100W receiver with HDMI connections that would allow me to play lossless tracks like DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD. There are likely folks upgrading and selling their old receivers and I would like to know what brands/product lines were the fan favorites in the last 5 years to know what to look out for.

gibbsy

You'll have to take power output with a pinch of salt. If you see 100 watts into 8 ohms mentioned that figure is only going to cover two channels driven. Driving all seven channels will considerably reduce the power figure to as much as just 50 watts into 8 ohms all channels driven.

You'll find plenty of AV amps that are simply seven channel amps. The Denon X2XXX series are very popular and easy to set up. All will come with at least five HDMI inputs and play all the current audio formats.

Yamaha, Marantz and Onkyo all make entry level amps that will cover your needs. Avoid Sony as there are problems with the positions of the Atmos speakers when needing to use DTS:X and Neural.

You may run into problems with some earlier models as they may be unable to pass through 4K signals if you have a 4K TV and streaming services. Look for models that have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 certification.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom