• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Older 6 series or newer 4 series Yamaha

noob36322

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some seasoned opinion as I haven't bought an AV receiver before and am looking for a good value used unit, probably from Yamaha as that's what I'm most familiar with.

The two options I see available locally for the same price range are a Yamaha RX-V483, which I understand means it's a 4 series from 2017, and an RX-V675, which is a 6 series from 2013.

My question is would it be a smarter idea to get the lower end 4 series because it is newer with more features, or the mid range 6 series despite it being older? Is this decision really about sound quality vs features?

Thanks for all thoughts!

dante01

Distinguished Member
The x83 will award you the ability to handle HDCP 2.2 UHD encoded video while the x75 model predates HDMI version 2.0 so will not include HDCP 2.2 compliance or the ability to passthrough commercial UHD encoded video.

The RXV675 is however a 7 channel receiver while the RXV483 is only a 5 channel receiver.

noob36322

Novice Member
That's great info thanks! I would expect a number of feature differences given their respective ages.

I guess what I'm less sure about is the difference in pure audio quality resulting from different grade components. Does anyone have insight into this difference?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The actual processing and DACs are not all that different so you'd not really gain anything apart from the 2 additional channels of amplification when comparing the audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom