1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldboy Remake ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by edinburgh160, Feb 27, 2005.

1. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a fan of the original 'Oldboy', I read with interest that Hollywood are to remake this film. I wasn't particularly bothered until I watched the disgraceful remake of the Grudge last night - they absolutely ruined that.
    I suppose I don't have to watch it, but what is the opinion of remaking Asian classics ? Goodness knows how they would pull it off with Oldboy (no jokes please :D ).

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i cant see them keeping the story intact. those of you who have seen it will know what i mean - i really cant see an american studio making a film about such a subject.

it will be crap anyway - the us remakes always are.

Moral: if you cant read subtitles then go and watch something else!!!

Gary

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I'm with GaryD! I can't think of a single remake of a foreign-language film that's come even close to the original!

I'm sick of Hollywood remaking everything, and by remaking it, what they really mean is taking out all the great, intelligent parts and dumbing the rest of the remainder down, even further, until it makes "Dude, Where's My Car?" look like Tolstoy's "War And Peace"! :mad:

Let Hollywood stick to what it does best: big, dumb, no-brainer films, and let the Indie's and foreign countries stick to making their films. :lesson:

Pooch

P.S. I can just see it now - Brad Pitt or some other Hollywood star being forced to kill then eat part of a live octopus! :D Like he's really going to do that.... even if he might get paid an extra few thousand dollars! :nono:

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Pooch, i dont want to give anything away;

SPOILER:

i cant see the yanks making a movie about incest and brothers shagging sisters

I think that hollywood has really lost its way over recent years. Just look at the volume of remakes from the past 2/3 years and films based on tv shows. i just wish thwey would leave things alone - christ even marty scorcese is doing remakes!!!!! :eek:

Gary

5. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one of my favourite films is L'Appartement, and I can't remember the name of it, but we hired a film out of Blockbusters the other week, and it was a remake of this. Needless to say it lost all the charm and character of the French original (not to mention Monica Bellucci).

Re' Oldboy the Octopus would probably be replaced by prawns :D

6. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

7. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Whicker Park - that was it.
    I didn't know L'Appartement was a remake in itself ? Learn something new every day.
    Cheers for that

8. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Isnt it amazing how not winning an oscar will reduce even one of the greats to doing blockbusters and remakes.They say awards dont mean anything but to mr scorcese they obviously do!

9. Markmw

Markmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it would be fairer to say that recent remakes are relatively poor, although I thought the remake of Insomnia was pretty good.
    Looking back a few years, The Magnificent Seven was a pretty good effort, considering just how damn good the original was. And what about Fistful of Dollars? That said, Last Man Standing was relatively poor.