Oldboy 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

BUY BUY BUY!!

I knew the moment I bought the Vengence trilogy blu ray that Arrow would then go on to release Oldboy in 4k.

So you all have me to thank. 😐

This turned me on to just how good foreign films can be. It's not Fellini but its -actually- entertaining and funny instead.

I remember seeing this with a friend at the Curzon in Leicester Square, we out after watching it & didn’t utter a word to each other for 5 mins. Which is completely unheard with us!!!

Stunning film.

I remember seeing this with a friend at the Curzon in Leicester Square, we out after watching it & didn’t utter a word to each other for 5 mins. Which is completely unheard with us!!!

Stunning film.
Yeah it knocks you sideways for sure. It's been a looooong time since I've seen it and that was at home. I just kinda sat there for a while, both thinking about it and trying to recover.

The ending is 😱😱😱😱

My 4K is going in my copper 2003 DVD set from Korea ♥️
681A2996-DC18-4E9E-94F1-F13B12C1AE6E.jpeg

I can’t find A Bittersweet Life on BR anywhere. I have the original R3 DVD Director’s Cut, but when I tried to watch it recently, the NTSC picture was just too poor to persevere with. I have the R2 standard DVD edition, but it really does need a decent BR/4K BR release. As for the 4K Oldboy, I feel the need to flex the plastic!

There is a Korean Blu of A Bittersweet Life.

I've watched it maybe a dozen times in the last 3 months, it's utterly iconic.

I personally don't find it ridiculous in the least bit.

It's in a corridor, of course people are going to be lined up, and who wants to be the first to get hit by a hammer?!
Even so he repeatedly gets set upon throughout the fight and has to shove them all back, which he can do because they are in... yes, a corridor.

It's only towards the end where he gets behind them all and can take them as they come to him and, even then, they get past him and he has to move pretty quickly whilst also looking understandably and realistically exhausted.

Perhaps it's just the fact that nobody shoots corridor scenes like this that makes it look unusual.
It's just perfect. Has such a cool Streets of Rage side-scrolling beat 'em up vibe.

I've watched it maybe a dozen times in the last 3 months, it's utterly iconic.

I personally don't find it ridiculous in the least bit.

It's in a corridor, of course people are going to be lined up, and who wants to be the first to get hit by a hammer?!
Even so he repeatedly gets set upon throughout the fight and has to shove them all back, which he can do because they are in... yes, a corridor.

It's only towards the end where he gets behind them all and can take them as they come to him and, even then, they get past him and he has to move pretty quickly whilst also looking understandably and realistically exhausted.

Perhaps it's just the fact that nobody shoots corridor scenes like this that makes it look unusual.
I believe it was shot like that to look like the Street Fighter video game

Does it have English subs? Any info on PQ?
I'm still waiting for a decent release of A Bittersweet Life. The Japanese disc has the best PQ but unfortunately no English subs, no English subs on the German release either. The Korean release does have English subs but the PQ looks a pretty soft/blown out, comparison between The Korean and Japanese releases here :

Another Korean company, Bud Blu have a release (in two variants), but I can't find any info on the PQ :

Amazon dispatched. Arriving tomorrow 👍

But the Korean BRs are all region A, aren’t they?

Another glowing review giving top marks

But the Korean BRs are all region A, aren’t they?
This version of A Bittersweet Life is NOT region coded. I've just checked to make sure.

It does say region A on the case though.

IMG_5173.JPG

I think I got it from eBay. But the prices are really high now.

Kimchi dvd are out of stock too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom