Oldboy (2003) (Zavvi Exclusive) (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Purchase link: Zavvi

Release date: 08/02/2021

Oldboy_Steel.jpg

4K UHD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK CONTENTS:
  • Two-disc edition featuring a new restoration of Oldboy on 4K UHD Blu-ray, and the acclaimed making-of documentary Old Days on Blu-ray
  • Limited Edition Steelbook® packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
  • Fully illustrated booklet featuring new writing by Simon Abrams and archival articles
DISC ONE – OLDBOY (4K UHD BLU-RAY):
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative supervised by director Park Chan-wook
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo
  • Original Korean and English soundtracks
  • Music and effects track
  • Newly translated, optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
  • Newly translated English subtitles for the Korean soundtrack
  • Audio commentary with director Park Chan-wook
  • Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook and cinematographer Jung Jung-hoon
  • Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook, and actors Choi Min-sik, Yu Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jung
  • New audio commentary with critic Jasper Sharp and writer Simon Ward
  • Out of the Past, new video appreciation by Asian film expert Tony Rayns
  • Deleted scenes with optional director commentary
  • Behind the scenes featurettes
  • Extensive cast and crew interviews
  • Trailers and teasers
  • Image gallery
DISC TWO - OLD DAYS (BLU-RAY):
  • Old Days: An Oldboy Story, the acclaimed feature-length 2016 documentary about Park Chan-wook’s masterpiece
  • Autobiography of Oldboy, a three-and-a-half-hour video diary of the making of Oldboy

Attachments

• Oldboy_Steel (inside).jpg
    Oldboy_Steel (inside).jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Oldboy_Steel (back).jpg
    Oldboy_Steel (back).jpg
    144 KB · Views: 35
  • Oldboy_Steel (open).jpg
    Oldboy_Steel (open).jpg
    222 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
German Glow in the dark release is still available just under €30.
German release is a 4 discs edition (4K + Blu + 2x Bonus Blu)

Horrendous artwork

German Glow in the dark release is still available just under €30.
German release is a 4 discs edition (4K + Blu + 2x Bonus Blu)

Much nicer

German steel is nicer (not difficult, lol) but no doubt more importantly Arrow will do a better job on the disc. Hopefully Arrow choose better art for the 4K amaray.
Then again, I'm happy with the Trilogy set so could just do a disc swap I suppose.

German steel is nicer (not difficult, lol) but no doubt more importantly Arrow will do a better job on the disc. Hopefully Arrow choose better art for the 4K amaray.
Then again, I'm happy with the Trilogy set so could just do a disc swap I suppose.

Looking at some pictures from capsaholic... the German 4K seems similar to the Arrow bluray.
The Korean bluray remaster seems superior to both arrow blu and German 4K.
Curious to compare Arrow's 4K release :)

Looking at some pictures from capsaholic... the German 4K seems similar to the Arrow bluray.
Main issue was compression/encode, might have been something else as well but that's what sticks.

The Korean bluray remaster seems superior to both arrow blu and German 4K.

:confused: Can't say I've ever seen that said before.
Arrow blu-ray was from a new 4K scan/OCN and encoded by David M, and it shows, not even close imo.

:confused: Can't say I've ever seen that said before.
Arrow blu-ray was from a new 4K scan/OCN and encoded by David M, and it shows, not even close imo.

I was only stating that after i compared some caps myself between Arrow and the KR.
Might also be that i prefer the KR caps for some reason.

Looking at the caps comparison below, the KR is better for me. At least the resolution and grain seems better, not sure about the colors though.

But then the Arrow seems better with this cap :D

Not sure if some parts have been remastered better then others (like i have already seen with many remastered movies...)
Its always hard to know for sure, just from looking at caps... so yes there is that too.
I'll be curious to see what Arrow has to offer with their 4K release :)

Looking at the caps comparison below, the KR is better for me. At least the resolution and grain seems better, not sure about the colors though.

KR suffers with that black crush throughout, the detail/reflections on the train doors for example in those caps. Arrow better for me, like with the rest of the disc imo.
Each to their own though, you're allowed to prefer the wrong transfer, it's ok :p:D

Its always hard to know for sure, just from looking at caps... so yes there is that too.
I'll be curious to see what Arrow has to offer with their 4K release :)

Agree on that, more so with 4K releases, what with HDR and that.

Arrow using the same art as in the trilogy set/german steel on the 4K amaray so that's good :)

Steelbook pre-order now live.

Wasn't expecting to see some embossing on this, image a lot more toned down from the bright gold mock up, a good thing imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom