Old xbox as web interface with old TV

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Connor, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Connor

Connor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

Does anyone have any knowledge in this area? Hope this is correct forum.

I have XP PC in back room with wired router; Cat5 is hardwired from this room to the lounge terminating at rear of TV.

I've read on other threads about using xbox360/old as media streamer and extender. What I really want is to be able to access the web from my sofa on my fat old Sony tv which has only scart inputs.

As xbox has ethernet in/scart out is there any way my old xbox can feed web via scart to my tv or do I need a new tv with ethernet input? If the xbox won't work, is there any other product that would?

Cheers for any help.

2. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    linksboks looks as though it may do what your asking, I can't offer any help as all I did was google "xbox web browser".

3. Connor

Connor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My god! that looks like scary stuff, well past my abilities. Intersting nonetheless.

Does anyone else have any experiance of viewing the web on an old fashioned (scart) tv or will I have to commit to buying a HD tv with different interface.

Thinking about it maybe the only way is to extend the VGA cable from PC to a TV with VGA input? Am I right.

4. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I'd just look into getting another PC, either laptop or desktop, with a video out - this is most laptops and PCs with seperate graphics cards - VGA to scart cables are possible (search on here) but you have to muck about with powerstrip etc.

5. Connor

Connor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

I've been reading up on the VGA to Scart using Cat 5, this was interesting as I already had Cat 5 wired into wall face plates linking the two rooms so would save routing new cable.

I'd have a go at the soldering but the Powerstrip side made me gulp a bit :eek:; for a start I'd need a new graphics card (£?), and I don't have a the second (optional) PC to access remote via VNC which would help. I was really looking for a cheap way of 'sharing' the internet between monitor & TV in next room. I've also since read the VGA on a CRT TV is never going to look great (blurring) but I'd love to see how it really looks. I may ask around other threads for opinion and keep reading around, build my confidence up a bit.

I guess the above is always going to be cheaper than buying a new TV with VGA input eh. One thing I don't understand is - Even if I did own a TV with VGA input, do you need to run MCE on the PC or will Powerstrip still be required?

Life's never easy...but that's life !? (There's an old saying in there somewhere!)