Old working mobiles.

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I start this request, I would advise everyone that I sought and was granted permission from Stuart Wright and Senior Moderator Apsilon to post this Wanted Advert and I thank them both most sincerely for allowing me to so do.
I am currently Vice President of my local Rotary Club, (Coatbridge, Airdrie & Monklands) where we get involved with lots of local and international charitable events and causes. Recently, we started offering assistance to the local branch of Women's Aid which provides help and shelter to women who have been subjected to domestic violence and abuse, often causing them to have to leave the family home, frequently with nothing more than the clothes they stand in. I might add that there are often children involved as well, really sad. We recently had a representative attend one of our meetings to give us a talk where our members, self included, were shocked at the numbers involved.
To get to the point of this message, we asked what we could do to assist and, amongst other things, a request for discarded mobile phones was made, as each woman who is put into shelter is provided with a mobile complete with a £5 SIM card, programmed with local help numbers should they be in any danger and require assistance.
This is where you guys and gals could hopefully help out. I'm sure many will have old phones, which have been replaced with more modern models, lying about doing nothing other than gathering dust. Would you be prepared to donate them to this very worthwhile cause? If so, please PM me for my address. I would ask that any phone you could offer be in working order, not locked to any network, have been reset to factory condition, free of any passwords with no personal data held in memory and, should it be of the older generation of mobiles which had their own specific bespoke charger and cable, that that be included. If it has a USB charger and cable, then we can probably sort that out but again, if you do have a spare and are happy to donate it, that too would be much appreciated.
I have to say that there is no money available for this, I am purely appealing to people's generosity and goodwill, of which I am sure there is plenty about and hopefully "you will get your reward in heaven." Obviously, if you can help, please use the cheapest form of postage available.
Should we end up with more than required, they will be passed on to other Women's Aid organisations, of which there are many.
Finally, I have been asked by the administrators of Monklands Women's Aid to thank each and every one of you in anticipation of your assistance for this very worthwhile cause.

I have a very basic Nokia that I'm not using. When I say very basic it's not "smart", there is no touchscreen, camera etc. I bought it as a backup phone a couple of years ago but I've never used it. I found it when spring cleaning the other day and was going to put it on Freecycle. I will be happy to donate it.

I've got a couple in the drawer. I'll plug them in to see if they charge. One's a smart phone but the other is a basic Nokia flip phone.

Sounds good, as long as they work and can be charged, it doesn't matter if they're smart or not. Let me know when you've tested them please.
Thanks, Martin.
I've just plugged it in, took a while to come on but it's charging now. I'll make a test call on it once it's charged up and send a quick text to make sure it's all working.

I’ve got an iPhone SE, a iPhone 8 and a old iPhone 6 here I’m happy to donate. All working though I’m not sure about chargers.

Rob

I’ve got an iPhone SE, a iPhone 8 and a old iPhone 6 here I’m happy to donate. All working though I’m not sure about chargers.

Rob
That sounds good as we can probably get chargers for them. If you have any charging cablesthat would be brilliant.
I'll go PM and give you my address.
Thank you very much on behalf of Monklands Women's Aid.
Martin.

I have a very basic Nokia that I'm not using. When I say very basic it's not "smart", there is no touchscreen, camera etc. I bought it as a backup phone a couple of years ago but I've never used it. I found it when spring cleaning the other day and was going to put it on Freecycle. I will be happy to donate it.
Thank you, all phones welcome so I'll PM you with my address.
Many thanks,
Martin.

I have and use a very basic Nokia - 6310i which you would have to prise from my cold dead hands. I love my ancient phone although it does present problems at times - it won't work in the Canaries for example. I find it really comfortable in my hand and it does everything I need from a mobile PHONE. I do have a tablet too BTW. I just wish someone would come up with something as sturdy and reliable now.

However recognising I am weird and lots of my friends will have phones they have discarded I will ask around.

I have and use a very basic Nokia - 6310i which you would have to prise from my cold dead hands. I love my ancient phone although it does present problems at times - it won't work in the Canaries for example. I find it really comfortable in my hand and it does everything I need from a mobile PHONE. I do have a tablet too BTW. I just wish someone would come up with something as sturdy and reliable now.

However recognising I am weird and lots of my friends will have phones they have discarded I will ask around.
That's great, thank you. I have already asked around my friends and received 10, so it does work.

Sometimes I miss the days whe a phone was just a phone. The smartphone is undoubtedly a great invention and I wouldn't be without mine now, but something that was supposed to make life easier has now become an addiction.

I have a Motorola & a Blackberry. Will root around for the chargers. I don't know if they're still linked to a network. I also don't know how to wipe the data. I'll charge them first & get back to you.

I have a Motorola & a Blackberry. Will root around for the chargers. I don't know if they're still linked to a network. I also don't know how to wipe the data. I'll charge them first & get back to you.
Hi, thank you. To wipe the data, it's probably easiest to Google a request along the lines of "How to reset Blackberry mobile model XXXX to factory condition" and you'll more than likely get the required info.
Thank you,
Martin.

Hi @mjcairney its very fortuitous seeing this post as my wife and I were talking while making tea tonight about needing to go to the supermarket to make our monthly foodbank shop.
I live in Glasgow so not far from you & have an old iphone I think is not retaining its charge but I would be very happy to get that repaired for such a good cause that is local to me. I also work at Sky in Livingston and could ask around there.
If i can gather more phones would it be possible to bring them to you or an agreed location? Happy to IM directly with you on this.
Nice to hear you guys doing such important work.

thanks
Col

Hi @mjcairney its very fortuitous seeing this post as my wife and I were talking while making tea tonight about needing to go to the supermarket to make our monthly foodbank shop.
I live in Glasgow so not far from you & have an old iphone I think is not retaining its charge but I would be very happy to get that repaired for such a good cause that is local to me. I also work at Sky in Livingston and could ask around there.
If i can gather more phones would it be possible to bring them to you or an agreed location? Happy to IM directly with you on this.
Nice to hear you guys doing such important work.

thanks
Col
Hi @WeegyAVLover, that is very kind of you and yes, I'd be happy to meet up with you at an agreed location. Please just PM me when you know what's happening and we can make the necessary arrangements. I fact, better still, I'll PM you now with my mobile and home numbers which will make it easier for you to contact me as and when.
Many thanks.
Martin.

I have two Xiaomi phones (global rom), can’t post till next week, please pm me your address.

Neither of those phones I have are any use. Both still with networks & the battery life is rubbish.

Thank you to all who have responded to this appeal so far, some on this thread and some direct by PM. Thus far, I have had 16 phones donated, including 10 brand new simple little phones donated by one lady who has experienced help from her local Women's Aid and wanted to give something back to show her appreciation. Please rest assured that all these phones will be put to good use.
Thanks again, all help much appreciated by both myself and Monklands Women's Aid staff and clients.

I've got a basic nokia feature phone I got from a Sky contract, its like the phones of old with just a numeric keypad, no camera or anything. I think I even have spare O2 classic sim card I can bang into it, the number hasn't been shared with anyone and should still have over 5 quid in credit. Good thing about it, its cheap 3p per min make calls, 2p for sms and 1p per MB of data. Its largely unused, I'm also happy to add more credit if need be. DM and I will get to you ASAP.

BTW absolute respect to you for doing this, me and my mother were once a victim of DV.....so I'm happy to help where I can. If we can talk further I may be able to gain something from company I work for, as we are in the business if you will.

Either way wonderful work and hats off :)

I've got a basic nokia feature phone I got from a Sky contract, its like the phones of old with just a numeric keypad, no camera or anything. I think I even have spare O2 classic sim card I can bang into it, the number hasn't been shared with anyone and should still have over 5 quid in credit. Good thing about it, its cheap 3p per min make calls, 2p for sms and 1p per MB of data. Its largely unused, I'm also happy to add more credit if need be. DM and I will get to you ASAP.

BTW absolute respect to you for doing this, me and my mother were once a victim of DV.....so I'm happy to help where I can. If we can talk further I may be able to gain something from company I work for, as we are in the business if you will.

Either way wonderful work and hats off :)
Hi, thank you for the compliments, much appreciated. I would add that I and my Rotary Club are delighted to be able to offer assistance to the Women's Aid organisation and know that they are delighted with anything we can do to help.
I'll go now to PM.

I don’t have any phones but if I hunt about I’ll no doubt have some old cables maybe chargers I could send if that’s any use 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom