Old wives tales for preventing misting windscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSSFC

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any tips for preventing the inside of windscreens/windows from misting up on these cold mornings. A combination of the cold air and my body warmth getting into the car is resulting in mist = me sitting on the drive for 5 mins waiting for the A/C to demist it before I set off.

I've heard rubbing potato prevents it, not tried yet. Any other tips out there?
:hiya:

Yes.

Keep the inside of the windscreen clean - properly clean - not a wipe when wet with a cloth!

Also, those little sachets of silica gel you get in shoe boxes can help absorb moisture. But if it's regularly a bit damp inside the car, check seals, pollen filters and so on.

I do clean the glass fairly regularly. And it doesn't seem to be misty before I get into the car. There's no other dampness inside the car either so I don't think there is any leaks.

Then leave some silica gel bags around and see what difference it makes. Close air vents too?

Hmm I don't close the air vents - will give that a try. I may try the bowl of rice trick and see if that helps as well.

Bowl of salt is better as it absorbs mositure

I'd rather use salt than waste rice

I'd rather use salt than waste rice

Use salt at this time of the year?

I'd rather use rice than waste salt.

Moot point, as always ... OP asked for advice, advice being given :rolleyes:

And i gave him advice

So don't get all defensive just because it was an alternative to your suggestion :rolleyes:

And i gave him advice

So don't get all defensive just because it was an alternative to your suggestion :rolleyes:

Kebabhead by name ...

It wasn't being defensive - you suggested, by posting "Bowl of salt is better as it absorbs mositure" (sic), that rice didn't absorb water. Which was factually incorrect - as it does.

You then attempted to divert attention of getting it inherently wrong, by saying you'd prefer not to waste rice. So yeah. Good one :thumbsup:

Kebabhead by name ...

It wasn't being defensive - you suggested, by posting "Bowl of salt is better as it absorbs mositure" (sic), that rice didn't absorb water. Which was factually incorrect - as it does.

You then attempted to divert attention of getting it inherently wrong, by saying you'd prefer not to waste rice. So yeah. Good one :thumbsup:

Wow name calling so mature :rolleyes:

I find salt better than rice as this it what we use when we store our caravan over winter

It would probably make more sense to carry salt this time of year what with the ice and all :)

Wow name calling so mature :rolleyes:

I find salt better than rice as this it what we use when we store our caravan over winter

There we go. Some useful input as to your decision to prefer salt, to rice.

Rice is a common tactic, as many mobile phone owners who've dropped into water will attest. Salt no doubt works, but doesn't have the same surface area that rice offers, as salt compacts and takes the shape of the container - unless you lay a stream of it down (unlikely in a car/caravan) - where rice naturally doesn't compact like salt.

Name calling? Hardly. It's your "user name" after all. One can only wonder as to the reason you chose it. It's just convenient if the content of your posts back up those assumptions.

Rice is a common tactic, as many mobile phone owners who've dropped into water will attest. Salt no doubt works, but doesn't have the same surface area that rice offers, as salt compacts and takes the shape of the container - unless you lay a stream of it down (unlikely in a car/caravan) - where rice naturally doesn't compact like salt.

What ever :suicide:

So you don't get physics? Fair enough. Can't expect you to know everything.

So old wives tales is all about physics now :rolleyes:

Talk about off topic

And by the way you can dry the salt out and reuse it

So old wives tales is all about physics now :rolleyes:

Talk about off topic

And by the way you can dry the salt out and reuse it

Oh, so we want literally, old wives' tales?

Well I heard that leaving a cactus in the car helps, as they are GREAT for retaining water. So are camels.

Happy? :clap:

Oh, so we want literally, old wives' tales?

Well I heard that leaving a cactus in the car helps, as they are GREAT for retaining water. So are camels.

Happy? :clap:

Isn't that the title of this thread

Or am I going to get a patronising physics lesson on that

Anyone got any tips for preventing the inside of windscreens/windows from misting up on these cold mornings. A combination of the cold air and my body warmth getting into the car is resulting in mist = me sitting on the drive for 5 mins waiting for the A/C to demist it before I set off.

I've heard rubbing potato prevents it, not tried yet. Any other tips out there?
:hiya:

Isn't that the title of this thread

Or am I going to get a patronising physics lesson on that

Yes, of course I am going to patronise you.

Simply because the OP isn't making his scenario up - it's a real one - and therefore, warrants real answers.

With real answers, comes reality. With reality, we have physics. Well, apparently, anyway.

Yes, of course I am going to patronise you.

Simply because the OP isn't making his scenario up - it's a real one - and therefore, warrants real answers.

With real answers, comes reality. With reality, we have physics. Well, apparently, anyway.

So your saying salt won't do the job which it is well know for absorbing moisture because physics says otherwise :laugh:

I keep my car in the garage - it works very well.

I'd suggest using the A/C as little as possible on a day-to-day basis. I find that it's best to leave it switched off (other than the occasional necessary maintenance run to keep the system in good nick) and use the heater to dry the car out. The more you do this, the better it is for keeping the screen clear.

Try this, clear the screen using A/C, and then switch it off - the screen will mist up again immediately. Use the heater and then turn it down, and the screen will remain clear.

As someone said above before all the handbags were being swung, keeping the screen as clean as possible will help a great deal, especially in tandem with using no A/C. Try this stuff: http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/

Last edited:
I am sure the top tip is to use re-circulation seating on the heating so your not bringing in anymore moisture, there was a thread on here not long ago asking the same thing.

Depending on the type of car you have, this may be covered in the manual as to the optimum settings for each desired effect.

So your saying salt won't do the job which it is well know for absorbing moisture because physics says otherwise :laugh:

Yes you sir, are quite right. I absolutely, 100% said salt won't work. :rolleyes: Give yourself a massive pat on the back, or better still, quote me and prove me wrong.

Honestly - can you not read and comprehend what was written, or are you deliberately trying to get a rise out of me? :hiya:

AC is a given, as by it's very nature, it draws moisture out of the air. It's also worth checking what you have in the boot as well, because any damp in there will certainly not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom