Question Old white Sky+ box needs upgrading

Dutchy122

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My plasma of the last 12 years has given up the ghost so I need a new TV. To save me having to specify a scart socket on a replacement one, my old Sky+ box needs to be upgraded with something that has HDMI instead.

Sky want a ridiculous £199 one-off payment for their new Q box and considering it wouldn't even belong to me I'm very loathe to go that route.

So the question is, can I buy a Sky HD box and directly replace the Sky+ box? And does the HD box have HDMI out?

Many thanks,
Ken

You can buy a HD box from the classifieds, here, or somewhere like ebay. You'll just need to pair your viewing card to it (can be done via the box). It does have a HDMI out.

You don't have to pay 199 for Q though.

Interesting - how else do I get the upgrade?
That's what they told me online after logging in to my account.

Of course - that's only the beginning.
Depending on how patient you are you can get installation down to nothing.

I'm patient and waiting.

Threaten to leave, see what they offer you. Mention going to one of their competitors to get a new box for free. If they offer you nothing good, cancel. During the cancellation window they will call you and you'll get a good deal.

Cancel anyway. That'll get the best offers. You have the 30 days to cancel your cancellation if you 'bottle it'.

You can just wait and see what happens, but if you're less patient you keep asking, and, of course, get a different agent each time.

Sorry Dutchy122, didn't mean to take over your post.
Hope you got some answers you were after.

Have Sky stopped manufacturing the Sky+HD boxes? or are they just reluctant to supply them as replacements.

2nd hand Sky+ HD box obtained from Ebay for a song (relatively speaking). All plugged in and paired with my existing viewing card faultlessly.

One thing I have seen is that I apparently only need Sky Box Sets to get HD across the board.
When trying to upgrade using the Sky HD box I get the message that upgrading will cost me £0.00 - result! However: the upgrade always fails with an error, telling me I need to do it at sky.com instead. When I do, that avenue tells me it's going to cost me an extra £6 a month.
The missus is well impressed with HD but like me can't see the point of paying extra for it. I must investigate further and maybe moan at Sky a bit harder.

The only extra is £6 a month for the sports section.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom