Old vs new soundbar, Sonos arc v panorama 2

GAS66

I tried everything to keep using the Panorama 2 up and running from 2013 when Vizio went away. The panorama 2 barely worked with eArc back to the sound bar from the TV on old system and needed tinkering before watching movies

I finally upgrade to LG G1 with a 17" in wall Legrand wall box to hold a power surge and a ethernet splitter letting it mount as a picture frame, The picture difference is amazing over the old LCD. I reset an Nvidia streamer to 1080P and the old Panorama would only flash images and quit as pass through. I am no longer up to tinkering with it. I can not even get it to run off optical cable anymore. I would need to set to stereo/pcm. TV defaulted back to modern settings twice.

I am way more into stereo music than surround sound but also love simplicity for upstairs. My short list for upgrades would be the AMBEO or NAD 10 v2 / KEF LS50 Meta . Out of interest in USD 1200 for the Panorama 2 in 2013 dollars is ~1500. That is just wrong but interesting to check. The NAD can run 4.2 emulation from 5.1, where as the AMBEA is more atmos friendly/ family freindly.

Which would you pick???
This is a fascinating thread.
Sorry to pick just this one reply, but I wanted to give my take on it.

IMO The NAD M10V2 is an absolute beast. It'll easily kill all of the high end soundbars out there, BUT the one this that I would say is that the cost for a 'Full Fat' 4.1 system would be huge.
£2K for the M10 V2. £400 for speakers? £400 plus for a decent sub. £400 minimum for bluesound surrounds
I'm being very conservative with prices there and that is £3k+ , for a non Atmos system with no centre dialogue channel!!!

I've come to the conclusion that nothing out there does everything exceptionally well without compromises, be they cost, sound, or audio capabilities... What a brilliant thread!

Koigula

Novice Member
No worries. I work in us automanufacturing so found response polite :)

Yes It does come down to needs wants and room. Marketplace has decide it does not want more than 5.1. A survey of Home Theater mag subscribers showed few enthusiast actually have in ceiling atmos. Center channel was a source of amusement when it came out. Stereo imaging could cover it but in reality most receivers can not unmix 5.1 to 4.1 well.

Most people know what they like or dont care that much. The form factor and cost make the decision for most. As far as improvements, Dirac and eArc are worth considering. That is part of the magic m10v2 has. It could be argued outside of Kef, few enthusiast speakers have changed little. Sound diecting has improved too making argument for sound bars to be reconsidered.

I heard a compelling argument that if you really wanted to recreate what musician heard creating music JBL 305 studio powered monitors would take over market but hobby is more about gear than music. I like to mix and match amps speakers sources so I am guilty too.

This will be for a second room and I have a full stereo out of the way for household. It is is a bit blunt to say what you dont like. Bestbuy sells dsp'd bars repackaged. Vizio is rated well in the group.

1) I do like JBL l75ms as a lifestyle product with dedicated table top and decade of repurposing as an endpoint.

2) Soundbar I limited to B&O Beosound, B&W Panorama 3, and possible Naim Muso. Seinheiser ambeo is to close to NAD M10 v2 price.

3) Sort of like to just say screw it and get entry level Bluesound and subwoofer as eh second sound bar and endpoint for spotify. ..

keithwiggins

Is the bluesound new to you? I think I got my Stage around the same time as you but I do miss the surround effects. Problem is, like you say, the quality of the sound from the Stage is so good I hate to go backwards too much. I also don't want to go back to the receiver route. FWIW I bought the Panorama 3, which is similar to the Stage, thinking that advancements in the past year or so might make it better - it was nowhere near as good.
Hi I have had the bluesound now for about 8 months, frankly its great, competes well with the stage but has option to add surrounds which i have done along with an elac 10" sub so the full ensemble beats the pants of the stage and probably most other things, ( not interested in atmos) i bought everything used for 500 quid and delighted. The stage is now in the study and the bluesound serves in the lounge, the app is a joy to use and the sound is just great , comparing the pulse soundbar directly to the stage without the add ons the stage is a bit better but throw everything else into the mix and its bluesound all the way.

Last edited:

Koigula

Novice Member
Hi I have had the bluesound now for about 8 months, frankly its great, competes well with the stage but has option to add surrounds which i have done along with an elac 10" sub so the full ensemble beats the pants of the stage and probably most other things, ( not interested in atmos) i bought everything used for 500 quid and delighted. The stage is now in the study and the bluesound serves in the lounge, the app is a joy to use and the sound is just great , comparing the pulse soundbar directly to the stage without the add ons the stage is a bit better but throw everything else into the mix and its bluesound all the way.
OK Ill just put this away and go that route! It seemed decent quality for price. Panorama 3 def had mixed reviews and I have serious system so wanted fun and easy for family room and still enjoyable. It will give me excuse to get into blue OS and Roon. Sonos was more apple friendly and I am clueless on that. I need the plug and play for family so I do not have to reconnect much.

Last edited:

flexemavs

Thanks for the reply. Just like computers and everything else, the soundbar/speaker market keeps changing, and whatever you buy is outdated the second you get it home.

It is interesting that you got it used; possibly someone bought it but didn't enjoy it.

keithwiggins

Thanks for the reply. Just like computers and everything else, the soundbar/speaker market keeps changing, and whatever you buy is outdated the second you get it home.

It is interesting that you got it used; possibly someone bought it but didn't enjoy it.
I think some of the audio formats such as dolby /dtx /spatial audio etc , do move the format forwards , if you want to rush out and purchase the latest shiny product that promises audio nirvana, however i do feel that technology like speakers and amps that are well understood move more slowly, a good speaker purchased 5 years ago will still sound good today ditto amplification. codecs improve and change as of course do dacs but speakers and amps that drive them not so much.

Last edited:

Koigula

Novice Member
This especially true of sound bars! Things move very fast. I have an anthem avr in basement with no issues as it does atmos but Panorama 2 was left in the dust. I am in avr camp if it sound great and nothing new interests me now.

It leaves you impression yoy should not overspend and accept it. The market forces highly supported devices seeks universal "pleasing" undetailed sound with stable connectivity.

I do trust PSB makes good speakers. I went with sister company Bluesound as I saw form factor coherent with good stereo sound. Sonos seemed like it tried to do too much and was apple driven. I am sure it is good though. I just wanted roon and blueos.

I enjoy near audiophile/enthusiast reviews and oddly Bluesound is not giving out loaner samples much. I would value their opinion where I just can not connect with magazines or press releases that thinly veil shilling.

I am sure Andrew Robinson would love to review the powerbar+ and Darko or Steve Guttenburg might be interested.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom