1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old vs New. Preferences?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bigfatsi, Oct 12, 2005.

1. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

To cut a long story short, due to a knackered HDD in my bedroom PC I have seized the opportunity to upgrade it. In goes a nice shiny new 2.8 Celeron and board and out comes my old Athlon 1700 and board. This Athlon is to be used in upgrading my mother's ancient P2 550 (I think) machine which is almost exclusively used for writing letters and email. In order to complete the upgrade I also bought RAM and a Radeon 9250 graphics card (Cheapest they had!) My question is, should I sling the new but cheap Radeon into her machine or swap it for my old but (formerly) expensive Geforce 4200Ti ? Is new necessarily better?

Comments appreciated.

Simon.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think it's 50-50 to be honest, neither is particularly powerful, both are fine for your mum's needs so it's down to what you do on the PC.

You may find this old article on Tom's Hardware useful in deciding which would be better for your needs.