[OLD VERSION] PS3 Media Guide

I know about that.

I automated the thumbnails using my movies and got them all automatically.

the problem is having them displayed

I have renamed them the jpg's to folder and they are in the DVD folder containing the VOB files.

However PS3MS only displays the ISO folder and not the art...

I know about that.

I automated the thumbnails using my movies and got them all automatically.

the problem is having them displayed

I have renamed them the jpg's to folder and they are in the DVD folder containing the VOB files.

However PS3MS only displays the ISO folder and not the art...

Sorry you didn't mention before you were using ISO's (not many do as PS3 is rubbish at ISO's, even with ps3ms ;))

Pretty sure PS3MS doesn't support coverart with ISO's yet...

Sorry you didn't mention before you were using ISO's (not many do as PS3 is rubbish at ISO's, even with ps3ms ;))

Pretty sure PS3MS doesn't support coverart with ISO's yet...

I think I am being misunderstood.

My DVD's are stored as rip in file format with Video TS folders and then the VOB's inside.

When I browse to these folders on the PS3 using PS3MS it sees them as ISO's even though they are VOB files with the video TS folder.

Hi eveyone and many thanks to the authors of the post which helped me better understand a lot... but sadly did not offer any solutions to my problem.

First to say that when I instlled the pS3 on my LAN (hard wired) and downloaded all updates the PS3 immediately 'saw' my server plus several pf my PC's and I was able toplay music see photos and video...great start after 15 minutes...Then the problems:
PROBLEM 1
1. Sony say the PS3 should play avi natively
2. I have back up copies of a hundred home movies made on a Sony digital handy cam. These are ripped from the tapes using windows movie maker and kept in avi format on the WHS disk. The PS3 can see the folders but says the avi files are unrecognised 'no files' or 'corrupted files' . The message varies - if you go via the PS3 menu directly to the server is 'corrupted'or via the windows server its 'no file found' (why both options appear is unknown to me and why the result would be different is also strange.. So basically lots of small movies taht happen to exist from various cameras and phone can be played (But not all) but the AVI files cannot. If I play the files from my pc' s they play fine in windows media player and can be uploaded for edit to windows movie maker.

2. I tried saving one of the avi files as a DV-AVI resulting in 2 x the file size but the error is the same and they cant be played.

3. I tried saving one as an .wmv file (essentially MP4) and it plays fine

SO WHATS GOING ON?

PROBLEM 2 A tiny minority (.001%) of my JPG photos appear to randomly say 'corrupted'. Randomly in that today I see them tomorrow i cant. They all look fine when viewed from a PC

ANY CLUES?

PROBLEM 3 I have yet to get the Denon to pick up the sound via the digital cable. It can see the sound via the TV and the quality is OK but I would prefer to attach directly

The manual says you cant enable TV and digtal playback at the same time but actually the PS3 allows you to choose both. All variations so far tried (there are only 2 or 3) have the same result

ANY IDEAS?

PROBLEM 4
No way to play my WMA lossless files, only MP3

I am sure the other teething problems will be solved...So far my only regret with the PS3 is that only having bought it did I find it cant play any of the lossless audio formats...Thats a big big issue for me especially as SONY say it plays WMA...it does but only the lossy levels...thinking of returning it to Amazon if I cant identify a fix soon

SOLUTIONS?

As I said great guide. Suggested next update would be add more for the LAN attached WHS / NAS solutions. I think its the future because its the only way to hold (and automatically back up) the ever bigger file collections we all have. Mine is already 20000 plus music files 25000 photos and 100's of home movie clips and growing at about 10% pa

Problem 1 : Try PS3 Media Server
Problem 2 : Try PS3 Media Server
Problem 3 : No idea
Problem 4 : Try PS3 Media Server

You did actually read the guide didn't you :rolleyes:

As for NAS information, i'm not sure what else there is to add in that respect, as soon as PS3MS can be installed on a NAS then they'd follow the same paths as playing things back from your PC...

Thanks for the amazingly fast reply. Yes I could install PS3mediaserver (ON ONE PC) but the media is all on the WHS / NAS as there is way too much to hold on the PC. So if a version of PS3mediaserver was available for a server as opposed to a pC then i could try. I could try anyway on the PC and see if it solves the problem on a sample of the tracks.

But any clues as to why, if PS3 supports AVI out of the box it does not work? I plan to post these questions also to the WHS community and direct to Sony tech support.

If I get any sensible answers I will post them
:)

Thanks for the amazingly fast reply. Yes I could install PS3mediaserver (ON ONE PC) but the media is all on the WHS / NAS as there is way too much to hold on the PC. So if a version of PS3mediaserver was available for a server as opposed to a pC then i could try. I could try anyway on the PC and see if it solves the problem on a sample of the tracks.

But any clues as to why, if PS3 supports AVI out of the box it does not work? I plan to post these questions also to the WHS community and direct to Sony tech support.

If I get any sensible answers I will post them
:)

I'm running PS3 media server for windows home server.

There is a PS3 media server addon for windows home servers.

http://www.whsplus.com/2009/04/25/ps3-media-server-for-whs/

Thought you all might like to have the feedback from Sony ref these 4 issues

Telephone call with Sony yesterday. They said ‘quote: If it does not do what it says on the box and you are not happy then Sony will give compensation

PROBLEM 1
AVI not playing: Sony confirmed that the PS3 should play all avi natively = they said try installing running windows media player with file sharing on from the server, first test it from one laptop
PROBLEM 2
A tiny minority (.001%) of JPG photos appear to randomly say 'corrupted'. Sony don’t understand but suggest it may just be a sensitivity issue. The PS3 will analyse before it displays so if it detects a problem it wont display
PROBLEM 3
Denon to pick up the sound via the digital cable. The manual says you can’t enable TV and digital playback at the same time but actually the PS3 allows you to choose both. All variations so far tried (there are only 2 or 3) have the same result. Sony said that the ‘send sound both ways’ is new, it post dates the manual and should work, review denon set up to try to resolve this problem
PROBLEM 4
No way to play my WMA lossless files, only MP3. Sony confirmed that the PS3 should play all WMA natively = they said try installing running windows media player with file sharing on from the server, first test it from one laptop

So interestingly Sony tech help (UK) say avi and lossless should both work. Money back guaranteed. They suggest windows media player with file sharing should resolve the issue. I asked about the PS3media software....ANSWER = they know it but are not allowed to make any comments

Good luck with trying to get WMP to sort out the issues!

I presume your PS3 is quite new then ?

I bet they've heard of PS3MS, understandable they don't make comments however considering it's original primary use.

Hi

I have recently bought a NAS drive and most files stream fine.

But I have noticed some files on the NAS don't seem to show on the PS3 (yet the PS3 would play them direct from INT HD or EXT HD).

These include M2TS files (from PlayTV), some AVIs (Not all!) any ideas? I presumed any files that would play from the HD would stream fine (or is that not the case?)

Hi

I have recently bought a NAS drive and most files stream fine.

But I have noticed some files on the NAS don't seem to show on the PS3 (yet the PS3 would play them direct from INT HD or EXT HD).

These include M2TS files (from PlayTV), some AVIs (Not all!) any ideas? I presumed any files that would play from the HD would stream fine (or is that not the case?)

Sounds like maybe the NAS DLNA software doesn't support those file extensions. Is it running an OEM DLNA app or a generic one like Twonky? if it's Twonky try an upgrade to a new version or if not Twonky give that a go....

Sounds like maybe the NAS DLNA software doesn't support those file extensions. Is it running an OEM DLNA app or a generic one like Twonky? if it's Twonky try an upgrade to a new version or if not Twonky give that a go....

Its an old Synology NAS DS-106 , I bought it off Ebay a few months back, so it must be using the Synology software, its fully up to date, but no new firmware for the last few years.

I think (will check) its playing some AVIs but not other AVIs, they work fine over NAS to Netbook etc.

I don't want to fiddle too much with the setup, but from what you are saying can I add my own software to the NAS?

Its an old Synology NAS DS-106 , I bought it off Ebay a few months back, so it must be using the Synology software, its fully up to date, but no new firmware for the last few years.

I think (will check) its playing some AVIs but not other AVIs, they work fine over NAS to Netbook etc.

I don't want to fiddle too much with the setup, but from what you are saying can I add my own software to the NAS?

Yeah Twonkyvision is a very popular DLNA streaming app for NAS's. Many of them actually come with it installed by the OEM. a little googling for Twonky+your NAS will usually find you an install guide.

AVI's can be tricky, remember AVI is a container not a file. Inside an AVI will be a video/audio stream it's these streams that need to be encoded with something both the DLNA app and the PS3 need to be happy with. early Xvid and DivX codecs in particuler are the troublesome ones on the PS3.

Thank you for this. Could you do any helpful screenshots for MultiAVCHD - I still can't get my head around it.

I have followed the tutorial - but it always freezes when trying load thumbnails that aren't there - very confused.

Maybe a screenshot of the correct ticked boxes or something, would that be possible? :)

Is there anyway to use a web browser interface (or purpose written app) from a PC to access the PS3 main menu system to control playback? I'm use the PS3 Media Server for music duties as well as films, but I don't want to turn on my projector just to control audio playback. And no, I don't have a PSP.

Is there anyway to use a web browser interface (or purpose written app) from a PC to access the PS3 main menu system to control playback? I'm use the PS3 Media Server for music duties as well as films, but I don't want to turn on my projector just to control audio playback. And no, I don't have a PSP.

Afraid not. PSP or one of the new SE mobiles with PS3 control is your only option.

Hmm, I have been using PS3 Media Server since it first came out and all has been well when directly streaming from the PC to the PS3. However, lately I've been getting an audio delay in everything I watch. The first 5 minutes or so, the audio sync is fine, but then it slowly goes out of sync as more time goes by, eventually being completely out of sync in ~15 or so.

I haven't changed any settings in PS3 Media Server, and out of curiosity I played a few videos on my 360 (streamed from PC still using PS3 Media Server) and I have no audio sync issues at all.

Any ideas what it could be?

Just started using the media guide as i was having difficulty putting Hi Res files on a FAT32 Ex HD works a treat quick question streaming a 10gb 1080p file stutters over a wireless network which is understandable going to get some homeplugs me thinks.

Anyway to my question i decided to copy a 10gb 1080P file onto my PS3 HD wireless from my pc and its still going and its saying 13gb copied over but the file is only 10gb anyone???????

Just started using the media guide as i was having difficulty putting Hi Res files on a FAT32 Ex HD works a treat quick question streaming a 10gb 1080p file stutters over a wireless network which is understandable going to get some homeplugs me thinks.

Anyway to my question i decided to copy a 10gb 1080P file onto my PS3 HD wireless from my pc and its still going and its saying 13gb copied over but the file is only 10gb anyone???????

I left it running and stopped it,was still transferring at 25gb does anyone know why this was happening

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom