[OLD VERSION] PS3 Media Guide

malk

You would just share out your HDD via PS3MS and it will appear on the PS3 XMB when you navigate into the PS3MS section....

I'd advise putting some spacing between your sentences, your posts are really hard to read ;)
Thanks mate,i thought it might,i was just a bit noobishly nrevous about spending a few quid on something,and it being really hard to use.
Thanks for the tip,ive looked back,and yea,my posts are like a 5yr old writing a story!!!:blush:
My god,how embarrising!(and i cant spell,what a day)

Iggy_B

Hi, I'm thinking of using an external usb hdd to my PS3 as I've run out of shelf space. My K&U of PC is limited and I've read the guide but had no joy making it work, :blush::blush: I need some clarification:

1. What file type do I put on the hdd? There seem to be so many! I've used slysoft anydvd and used ISO files when making disc copies but this time I think need a VOB?
2. What user interface is there with the PS3MS? Is it like iTunes?
3. With the hdd i need to format it to FAT32 and there would a file size limit of 4gb.
4. Are there ways to overcome it?
5. The discs I'm planing to copy are mainly TV series, how do I ensure that I can select individual episodes? :confused::confused:

Thanks.

Axum

Distinguished Member
1. Yes, ISO's won't work although i'm not sure if PS3 Media Server can stream ISO files directly, i would have a quick check.
2. UI on the PS3 is just a browsable folder, as all it's doing is looking at the shared-out folders you've enabled via PS3MS. There are some extra bits and pieces i'm sure.
3. No, you only need to format to FAT32 if you'll be connecting the USB HDD DIRECTLY to the PS3. Connected to a PC and shared out for streaming via PS3MS, it can be NTFS.
4. No, not if you're connecting directly. It's not big deal if you are doing this though, split any files, and enable sequential playback on the PS3.
5. When you rip them you should get the option...I would do a search on here as i'm sure that's been mentioned before somewhere.

Decadence1

Hey Axum, I was wondering if you knew if it would be possible to have part of a hard drive formatted as FAT32 and part as NTFS. Thanks. :)

sterankin

Can I create a dvd with menus, put these on a USB stick and will it play in the PS3 and show the menus exactly like a dvd would?
Didnt see this mentioned in the guide, I know you can play VOB files sequentially but what about menus etc?
Thanks

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Can I create a dvd with menus, put these on a USB stick and will it play in the PS3 and show the menus exactly like a dvd would?
Didnt see this mentioned in the guide, I know you can play VOB files sequentially but what about menus etc?
Thanks

No.

No DVD menu support on the PS3.

djfonti

Novice Member
Hello all.

Recently I've been moving m2ts files from PC>PS3 via PS3 Media Server. The copied files are listed as 'mp4'.

Any idea why this is so and if it any cause for concern with regards to quality?

Also, another question if you will.

If I have an mkv file that has external subs (srt) and wish to view this off my PS3 (not streamed over a network), but do not have a powerful PC, am I basically screwed?

Last edited:

Axum

Distinguished Member
Hello all.

Recently I've been moving m2ts files from PC>PS3 via PS3 Media Server. The copied files are listed as 'mp4'.

Any idea why this is so and if it any cause for concern with regards to quality?

Also, another question if you will.

If I have an mkv file that has external subs (srt) and wish to view this off my PS3 (not streamed over a network), but do not have a powerful PC, am I basically screwed?

The PS3 can playback .m2ts files anyway, there shouldn't be any conversion taking place, unless they have DTS sound. If so PS3MS might be remuxing and changing the container, should be fine though, although not sure why it would do that.

You can "burn" the subtitles in using mkv2vob, but that may take a while with a low-spec pc, give it a go..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom