[OLD VERSION] PS3 Media Guide

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I left it running and stopped it,was still transferring at 25gb does anyone know why this was happening

Sounds like it's being transcoded as it copies over. Can be very finicky this method.

Have you tried pre-converting to a PS3 native format using MKV2VOB prior to copying? alternatively try copying over with WMP as this won't transcode.

kopchoir

Banned
Sounds like it's being transcoded as it copies over. Can be very finicky this method.

Have you tried pre-converting to a PS3 native format using MKV2VOB prior to copying? alternatively try copying over with WMP as this won't transcode.
Thanks for the reply matey

No i never tried it i thought it would just copy the 11GB 1080P file from media server how much space would you think it would take then as 25gb on my 80gb PS3 HD is a little excessive.
I really need to get some home plugs anyway or drop down to 720p rips to stream over a wireless network, i only have a 32inch screen at the mo so i can cope with 720p.

Converting via MKV2VOB what do you mean cutting it into 3 to fit fat32 and sequential playback???
Didnt know WMP could copy from the pc to the ps3:)

Axum

Distinguished Member
No, you can use mkv2vob to pre-convert to .mpg, then just copy the resultant file over to the PS3 using WMP. If the file needs transcoding, which it sounds like it does, it could take a few hours to convert, depending on the spec of your PC. No need to split the file, unless you're wanting to playback via USB stick/HDD.

kopchoir

Banned
No, you can use mkv2vob to pre-convert to .mpg, then just copy the resultant file over to the PS3 using WMP. If the file needs transcoding, which it sounds like it does, it could take a few hours to convert, depending on the spec of your PC. No need to split the file, unless you're wanting to playback via USB stick/HDD.

Ok yeah my pc is not the best spec only has a single core i have been using a usb/hd just plugged into my ps3 but its a chore carrying it upstairs and downstars from the pc.

Ok ill give mkv2vob a whirl so whilst its transcoding its using up more space on my ps3 HD ???
thanks for the replies guys oh and Axum top guide mate helps a lot :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Axum

Distinguished Member
OK, so a transcode may take a good few hours then. You can vary the codec to vary the transcode time, x264 is the best quality, will result in the smallest file, but with say a 10GB mkv and an average pc, you may be waiting the best part of 15 hours to transcode (maybe more - i've had one take 27 hours before, but that was with an OLD pc). MPEG2 is the quickest, but not the worst quality, but you may not really notice the difference on a smaller TV.

I think what's happening, as Uridium said, it needs to transcode this file to make it playable, so when you use PS3MS it's transcoding, thus increasing the file size, and taking up more room on your HDD.

kopchoir

Banned
Ok do you know roughly what size its going to end up the thing is im using an old pc becuase my old one fried and couldnt afford to replace it.
So this one i have now has only a 40gb HD:( so trying to use MKV2VOB is hard as it needs double the 10gb source to do is there anyway round this.

Set up sharing on WMP11 but now cant change the file format i have a 500gb External but thats FAT32 formatted

kopchoir

Banned
You're going to struggle with an HDD that size.

I presume your external already has stuff on it so you can't reformat ?

300 strong dvd collection have all been ripped to it prior to my Pc getting fried and got rid of the dvds so i really dont want to reformat:rolleyes:

I have decided to leave the 1080p rips for a while and go down a 720p route im not going to see much difference on a 32inch set with 720p it may be easier to stream a 720p file and if not there going to be much smaller files to convert.

Currently a mature student at uni so money is tight at the mo 18months to go and then im having a Kuro in every room:devil: but until then ill have to make do with what i have got

I have also added some cover art from your links which is a nifty little addition thanks for all your help Axum keep up the good work mate:thumbsup:

Axum

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I think that's a wise choice, 99% of 720p files won't need transcoding at all, they'll only need remuxing (either to patch the DTS or to convert it to AC3 (if it doesn't have AC3 already)) and that will be a) quick, and b) won't alter the file size dramatically at all.

Nico1973

This might be a simple question, but I have spent hours trying to get this to work. I found this on another forum and thought it looked really cool. I have followed the instructions and cannot get it to work. Could somebody please help:(

file.php

I am using PS Media Server.

The video files are vob files after using DVD Shrink

:lease:

This might be a simple question, but I have spent hours trying to get this to work. I found this on another forum and thought it looked really cool. I have followed the instructions and cannot get it to work. Could somebody please help:(

I am using PS Media Server.

The video files are vob files after using DVD Shrink

:lease:

Are you trying to get the covers to show up?

All you need to so is first go here: PS3 Media Server - Thumbnail Generator V2.00 - Author: Boz Bundalo

Then, search for the cover you are after.

Let's say you are after a cover for the film "Brothers" and your Vob file is called "Brothers.vob".

What you need to do is save the cover you searched for as "Brothers.vob.cover.png" and make sure your save the cover in the same location is the VOB file.

Bob's your uncle!

Nico1973

Axum, I have read and re-read this and have still had problems with it not showing. There is something I am not understanding. :)

I saved the file in the same folder as the vob file with the name Gladiator.vob.cover.png and still no show.

How can it be hidden file if it is in the same location as the vob file.

Thanks

Axum, I have read and re-read this and have still had problems with it not showing. There is something I am not understanding. :)

I saved the file in the same folder as the vob file with the name Gladiator.vob.cover.png and still no show.

How can it be hidden file if it is in the same location as the vob file.

Thanks

What I do to remove any chance of me typing the file name incorrectly, is when I click "Save" on the Covers page, I click on the film so the file name appears in the "Save As"box, then I just add .cover.png to it.

Worth a try.

Nico1973

Ok thanks will try that :)

What I do to remove any chance of me typing the file name incorrectly, is when I click "Save" on the Covers page, I click on the film so the file name appears in the "Save As"box, then I just add .cover.png to it.

Worth a try.

Nico1973

Sorted :clap:

Nico1973

Correct Uridium :rotfl:

my money is on Windows explorer default 'feature' of hiding file extension for known file types...

Resulting in Brothers.vob.cover.png.png ;)

Cool As Blu

Standard Member
But can you record from a Sony Camcorder to the PS3 hard drive using the USB cable?

malk

Firstly,thank you guys so much for enabling PS3 users to use this software,mustve taken some time.
Ive installed PS3MS on my pc,ps3 sees it no problem,ive recently been downloading music and movie files from a source(vuze) and putting onto disc,then i started using that sites "player" to decode the films to the ps3,and yea,it works ok,but i couldnt put music through it,as i just rip my tunes straight to disc,then add to PS3 harddrive,then delete them from that library.ive got alot of music on my laptop,that isnt on the PS3,when i go to music on xmb,select users,then my name,then music,the tune names are here,all cool.,but,the album art that is with some of the music,is muddled up,like wrong piccys with file names,also there is a funny asrterix next to the song titles,and the songs keep skipping between each songs randomly,bearing in mind i havent been using this PS3MS long,so im deffo in noob territory.
Any info on if im doing something wrong would be well appreciated.
Again,thanks for doing all this,and as a quick note,im not sure if im going mad,but,i could swear that music sounds a bit more fuller using the PS3MS,compared to just using ps3.
Is there a reason for that,or is it me???
Oh yea,ive got my 60gb ps3 wierd to router,media sharing enabled,on laptop and ps3.
Just thought id mention,whilst playing back a film file,of 4.70gb,the picture started stuttering,but after a little tweak from the dropdown settings on he transcode page,i just turned it down to med quality,it works really well,and in DTS i managed to enable that! Is just like a proper blu ray!!!
Nice one fellas!!!

Last edited:

malk

Hi,im thinking about getting an external hardrive for my laptop to store films on,so,would the PS3MS still be able to see the film files,as they would not be on the laptop hardrive,i take it the external drive would be plugged in via usb to the laptop,so,what would i look for when switching on the ps3?,i would click on MS,then users,my name,then documents,programs,then normally azureus downloads,but if i was looking for an external hd,where would the hardive be,looking at the PS3?sorry for being a noob.
Again, wicked bit of software.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Primare unveils NP5 Prisma MK2 network player for August
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PROMOTED: How to watch UK TV from any country
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED and More: AVForums Podcast Interview