Old v New

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MonkeyNutz, Mar 19, 2005.

1. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I`ve been looking into getting a decent sound system for my TV. I cant decide whether to get a good quality 2nd handsystem or a new system. In particular I was looking at a brand new Yamaha RXV650RDS which I`m hearing good things about, but now I`m tempted by an old Arcam Diva AVR 100 which Ive seen going cheap. Could anybody give me any advice on which is the better??

Whilst I`m a complete novice at the home cinema thing I do like good quality audio.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When it comes to AV I think the technology moves quite fast,I think you'd find the Arcam lacking in features.I would go for a budget new model.I find AV amps don't hold thier value like a good stereo amp.

3. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Everyone's situation is different. Which is not much help, is it.

But as SKA said, the technology moves very fast. But do you need (or plan to need in the future) the new features that comes with modern amps. ie video conversion, 6.1 or 7.1, decoding formats.

So, if you need a basic 5.1 system (in terms of features but not quality), I would get the Arcam. If you need all the latest bells and whistles, then I would get the Yamaha.

4. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, thanks for the replys.

I`m not after all the bells and whistles, I just want a good sounding system. The little I know about hi fi is generally the less features the better the system (thou Ive not been `into` hi fi for the last 5 years or so)

The system will be used for both home cinema and to replace my aging NAD stereo system. So I want it to sound at least as good as that for CD playback. Will the yamaha amp be up to the job?

Also for watching films will the higher quality arcam running in dolby digital or DTS sound better than the yamaha running in the more modern ES or EX modes?

I know the answer is kinda based on individual taste but I`m new to home cinema and any pointers in the right direction would be great.

thanks