Old timers

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Sainty, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Sainty

Sainty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys,

Any recommendations for a FPS for a couple of old timers (nearly 40ish) to play multiplayer on?

I have MW2 and Black OPS; my mate has MW3 - so probably makes sense to stick to the franchise unless there is something out there that more suited to the older gamer???

To clarify - I'm rubbish. I play deathmatch on line and am happy if i achieve 3 or 4 kills, although I am improving and my mate hasn't played online yet.

Cheers

Stu

2. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
  3. Sainty

Sainty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, I've seen the BF series, and I've heard that it's good - what are the main differences in game play between it and the MW series?

4. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    I'm not really qualified to answer as I'm **** at both! :D

However, BF is probably more strategic that CoD.

5. Voldemort

Voldemort
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Key difference is:

COD is a series of 1v1 encounters that relies on reaction speed, map knowledge, and spawn knowledge to do well at. Games tend to be kill related with an emphasis on TDM and FFA. Maps are static with no destruction. Any vehicles (except COD3 and 5) are summoned but not player controlled. Any lag is more noticeable due to P2P networking, the high frame rate, and fast pace of play. Playing by yourself is not a problem in COD.

BF is more team orientate with battles usually taking place at key strategic locations on far larger maps with more defined battle-lines. Battles are infantry focused but many games include sea, air, and land vehicles. All vehicles must be controlled by the player. From BC1 onwards, the maps have destruction so that you can create your own path through levels and avoid chokepoints. To do well in BF, you need to be versatile, constantly changing class and weapons as the game progresses and you must communicate with your squad/team. BF games tend to be objective based games so that supporting your team and playing for the win are more important than individual kills. Lag is less noticeable in BF due to dedicated regional servers and a slower pace of play. Do not play BF without friends, playing by yourself is seldom enjoyable as it's rare to be put in a competent squad amongst the great unwashed.

Choose COD for quick kill packed frantic games that can be played alone or with friends.

Choose BF if you have more time (games can last 30min), don't mind lulls in the action, prefer a more tactical game, like seeing stuff blow up, and have friends.

6. Se777eN

Se777eN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,324
    Battlfield 3 :smashin:

Also ghost recon and rainbow 6 vegas :smashin:

7. Sainty

Sainty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers everyone, I will check out BF3, sounds like it might be cool.

Are any of these games good 1 on 1 or are they all better in larger numbers?

8. Voldemort

Voldemort
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Of the ones mentioned so far, only COD is playable 1v1 in private games on small maps. Knife or pistol only games are fun.

Ghost Recon, R5, and BF are all strong team games so you won't have much fun 1v1.

9. Sainty

Sainty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Voldermort.

I happened to be walking past Blockbusters this morning (would you believe it!), so I picked up BF3 so hopefully it's good, thanks again guys.

Stu

10. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    BF3 - It's a mix between COD and a military all out warfare shooter. I think you'll enjoy it. It does have some niggling problems and a bit of a learning curve but definitely a game I'd recommend. Make sure you play in a squad of people who communicate otherwise it can leave you feeling deflated loosing game after game.

It does revolve around playing objectively with games like conquest, rush and squad deathmatch, but does have more familiar game modes like team death match but the rubbish spawn points will leave you smashing your controller if you play that.

11. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,237
    BF can be played, enjoyed and coordinated without playing with friends, sure it's not as effective as playing with friends (if friends are competent) but it's very rare you'll come up against a full team of players who are coordinating attacks either.

If you play for objectives you'll find that others do the same.