old technology

• Thread starter Deleted member 380232
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 380232

I haven't got my wii yet so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

I understand the sensor bar is so you can point the remote at the screen? So how come, many moons ago, Nintendo had a game called duck hunt which you could point a gun at the screen and it would know where you were aiming without the need for a sensor bar?

Am I being thick or what?

Anotherlimey

Distinguished Member
Yeah all those old games like Virtua Cop etc wont work on Plasma/LCD so now we have the bar to make up for it.

defreat

Novice Member
The sensor bars sends no information to the console itself. It simply beams out infra-red exactly like your tv remote does.

The wii remote is also much more accurate than older lightgun style games.

butleri

Novice Member
Also lightguns work like a gun (ie they shoot exactly where you point) the wiimote is relative - ie in a game you could move the wiimote 1cm in real life and on the screen it could move 0.5cm or 4cm or the opposite direction - whatever! Depends on what the game is AND lightguns only know where you are pointing when you pull the trigger - the wii constantly knows where you are pointing.

steve36

As for the graphics my N64 does not appear far removed from them.

£300+ for old technology.....Very odd.

I wonder how many people will regret the current mania I'm having to hide my credit card to avoid. Supposedly it's ony 3 months (possibly) until the Sony PS3.

Steve

kreeeee

Novice Member
Also lightguns work like a gun (ie they shoot exactly where you point) the wiimote is relative - ie in a game you could move the wiimote 1cm in real life and on the screen it could move 0.5cm or 4cm or the opposite direction - whatever! Depends on what the game is AND lightguns only know where you are pointing when you pull the trigger - the wii constantly knows where you are pointing.
How come I had a floating crosshair in virtua cop on the saturn then?

dapex

Novice Member

Steve
:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

I only paid £180 for my Wii and that includes a game. You were ripped of if you paid £300:) if thats a pagake you bought then you cant say its £300 for old technology can you.....

JonStatt

Its funny in a way, that certain technologies have suffered with the invention of 100Hz TVs, Plasmas, projectors LCDs.

Two such technologies are the "light" gun which brought great enteratinment even back in the 1980s with the little fixed consoles from Grandstand.

Another technology is 3D movies, shutter technology based. These also do not work with the latest TVs/projectors. Apart from giving you a headache the 3D was much better than the red/blue glasses. This was seen on the Sega Master System first and some games used the 3d glasses and the light gun together! :)

The sensor bar is quite a clever way around the light gun issues. But personally, I would have liked to have seen a calibration screen so that you can set it much more closely to represent pointing at specific parts of the screen.

Jonathan

MyBigToe

Novice Member
remember also that the sensor bar also helps detect depth, so the wii can sense how close or far away you are and any movement to and from the screen (most obviously used in wii play with the fishing

TwoJs

Distinguished Member
As for the graphics my N64 does not appear far removed from them.

I wonder how many people will regret the current mania I'm having to hide my credit card to avoid. Supposedly it's ony 3 months (possibly) until the Sony PS3.

Steve
If you dont want it dont post stupid messages in the wii forum, there is a PS3 one aint there ?!

Ratinho

Because he's trolling? Doubt he'd have anything of interest to say to the guys with their PS3's now either.

steve36

What I was trying to point out was that the Wii is old technology in various ways including the very old graphics standards yet some people are willing to pay £300+ for them, even with the PS3 coming soon.

I'm impressed by any company that can repackage a 2 - 3 old machine with a newish controller and sell it again.

Anyway I'll go back to playing my gamecube and stop annoying people :)

addyb

Distinguished Member
I see your point in some ways but on the flipside its like me saying im not paying over £400 for PS2 games with better gfx and a blu ray player that imo will lose out to HD-DVD.

And thats just me being annoying.

pixelated

What I was trying to point out was that the Wii is old technology in various ways including the very old graphics standards yet some people are willing to pay £300+ for them, even with the PS3 coming soon.

I'm impressed by any company that can repackage a 2 - 3 old machine with a newish controller and sell it again.

Anyway I'll go back to playing my gamecube and stop annoying people :)
Well the PS3 is arriving over a year later than the xbox 360... and they both do the same thing, don't they? :)

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
The old duckhunt would flash the screen black and the duck white and the light gun was in fact a 'poor' camera. At the time of you hitting the trigger if it saw white the duck died, if it saw black nothing happened. There was no onscreen cross hair or anything.

Duck hunut advanced a little to feature multiple ducks but never really moved from the same principle.

With faster machines came a better way of tracking the light guns position. For a CRT telly the scan lines move down and to the right of the screen allowing for the cpu to time the delay between screen refresh and a scan line illuminating the sensor in the light gun, from there it could calculate the precise point the light gun was pointing at. This could then be represented exactly on screen in the next frame with a cross hair.

Unfortunately no scan lines on LCD / Plasma so no light gun :(

Some arcade games use a fixed gun with is really just bolted on top an analogue stick. Hopefully this is obvious how this works ;)

The only other exception was the Super Scope for SNES which relied on a sensor bar but was much more accurate, but it needed to be calibrated before every game by shooting targets and you had to stay very stationary or risk de-claibrating it.

I predict that the Wii draws a virtual box above or below the sensor bar. It may approximate the size of the screen being used, and hence size of the box by measuring the distance between player and screen (by measuring the distance between IR LEDs). The sensitivity scroll bar likely adjusts the size of this virtual box too.

This would explain why projector users with 90" screens feel they only move their wii-mote around the bottom area above the sensor bar to cover the whole screen.

I hope this history of light gun technology has been informative :D

D

Deleted member 380232

far too much information but thanks anyway - makes a lot of sense. Started off as an office conversation.

Oh - and about the ps3 - didn't they just copy the wii-mote with their sixaxis bobby. Then they said they took out the rumble because it interfered with the motion sensors. Wait - doesn't the wii remote do both? Oh yes it does.

Bursar

Novice Member
far too much information but thanks anyway - makes a lot of sense. Started off as an office conversation.

Oh - and about the ps3 - didn't they just copy the wii-mote with their sixaxis bobby. Then they said they took out the rumble because it interfered with the motion sensors. Wait - doesn't the wii remote do both? Oh yes it does.
No, they took the rumble stuff out because they didn't pay a large amount of money to (I think) Immersion who patented the rumble stuff. MS and Ninty paid up, Sony didn't.

D

Deleted member 380232

No, they took the rumble stuff out because they didn't pay a large amount of money to (I think) Immersion who patented the rumble stuff. MS and Ninty paid up, Sony didn't.
Oh yeah - that was the truth but I'm sure at a press conference they tried to bluff by saying it was a tech problem. I may be wrong. Either way, good to see Nintendo on the way back after the GC. Hope they can produce some killer games next year.

StooMonster

I know ... PS3 uses same graphics chip as last range of nVidia chips, but crippled. I could never waste my money on such old technology, the graphics are terrible compared to a top end PC.

StooMonster