1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old tannoys,,can't find the model number

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by titanax, Apr 5, 2002.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankx everyone, its good to know that the ol' tannoys can be salvaged. Now the only problem is the AR centre speaker...how do I find out that model ?!

If I were to use the 609s as fronts, what would be a good recommendation for rears? If I can stick with older models I wouldn't mind...but it'd be ceiling mounted..so I'd like to have them small.

Please advise :)

Has anyone tested the Missions against the Tannoys, any comments?

2. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That will be the Tannoy 609 then !

They are good speakers and were launched in 1991. The RRP was about £300. I used to own the model before (DC2000) and they sounded superb.

Hope this helps

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The 609, I believe, uses Tannoys "Dual Concentric" driver, where the tweeter is in the centre of the bass cone. You should see a brass trumpet-like structure and at the base of this is the tweeter. Tannoy Dual Concentrics are fantastic speakers and normally very sensitive (90db+), too. I had some 638+ Tannoy Profiles and rue the day I sold them.

Russell

4. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,ve got a pair of the Tannoy 603 mk11.They are the same hexagonal shape,and also bi-wireable.I used to use them as my fronts,and have to agree with previous posts ,they do sound good.They,ll probably end up in my sons room,just to start him off;)
    I remember looking on the Tannoy web site,there was a history or archive link that showed a long history of model no.s and years manufactured.

5. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear titanax

They are 609's had them for many years, very good, best bi-wired.

If you look in What Hifi at the begining of the advice section there is a man balancing lots of hi-fi kit on his shoulder and the Tannoy's are the speakers pictured in that pile.

Enjoy!

6. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've had the 609's as fronts and the 603's as rears for about 10 years in my setup and am only now thinking about upgrading - to the Tannoy Revolution range.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    My speakers are from the Revolution range.One point to consider is the weight of the RC.If you are going to mount it on top of your set be aware that it weighs in at 17kg's :eek:

8. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    How do you rate the Revolutions? Are you using the Tannoy Revolution sub with your system or can the R3's sound good enough without one.

I will using the centre on a Toshiba 42WH18B so think it will be ok.

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Well herein lies a tale.I'm currently useing R2's Rc and R1's.I sourced them directly from the factory(through a contact)at a masive discount.When i placed the order i originally requested R3's but i had to end up with R2's instead.The R2's are obviously not as capable as the 3's in the lower bass department but to be honest i've now settled in with them and i don't have a problem.On the subject of the sub,i was going to purchase an MX sub recently and was advised (read told) not to do this as it would have a detrimental effect on the overall sound.I'm not going to argue with them as they obviously are well clued up on Tannoy synergy.Hopefully i'll secure a Revolution sub shortly.HTH

10. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had a contact with Tannoy about 7 years ago but have now lost contact with him and so having a look about for the best prices -

R3 - £350
    R1 - £130
    RC - £170
    RSub - £Haven't seen this advertised.

Anyone seen better?

11. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    JIT,

That's the setup I have and the pretty much the cost I got them for, I'm also having a hard time getting a tannoy sub to mach so if you find someone who sells them then please let me know.

R.

12. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    On the Tannoy website there is a Revolution Sub as part of the revolution range. I think I saw it advertised a few months ago for about £300/£400 but can't remember where and am not too sure of the price.

How would you rate your setup for the money?
    Do the R3's need a sub for DD/DTS soundtracks?

13. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    JIT,

Not so far but one thing I would say is that Tannoys take a long time to break in, I remember listening to The Phantom Menace when I got them and thinking it was a bit weak, but now after 6 months the pod race part shakes the room, sometimes it's even a vibration rather than a noise.

Muck about with the plugs in the back, depending on how close they are to the wall this can make a big differece, Try the prodogy in stereo with 'Fat of the land' as the bass in that is normally a good measure of what is good to your ear, some people like tight bass and some folk like it to bounce off of the walls.

A question for you ? - have you bi-wired the Tannoys ? and what kind of amp are you powering them with and type of cable, also do you like the sound you get ?.

14. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oops,

As for the money ??,

They take a long time to break in but they sound better every day, and the weird thing is I really do mean every day.

Worth it ? - Yes - and they look good.