Old Tannoy sub upgrade help, SVS, BK, KEF?

Doodlethepoodle

Standard Member
Recently bought some nice KEF Q550's, 600C and Q1 rears along with a Denon X3600.

The only old/budget part left is the Tannoy EFX Sub.
The specs for it are;

-100w RMS
-45Hz - 140Hz (-6dB)
-200mm/8" paper cone
-40cm X 23cm X 40.5cm

I'll be buying second hand, budget around £200. Room size is 5.6m x 3.6m. Carpet over wooden floor boards.

I have been looking at the older KEF PSW2500/2010 used on eBay which have had some bits of the amplifier replaced which are common to fail. How would these compare to what I have? Still with KEF you can also find the slightly newer Kube-1 or Kube-2... How are these?

Ive seen that BK Subs seem to get a good reviews, in my price range I think in order of performance for my budget I'd be looking at the Gemini II, XLS200 and XLS400. How do these compare to the KEF subs?

Lastly, any other subwoofers I should keep my eye out for used on eBay that offer good bang for your £££ ?

Thanks 👍🤞😁

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
XXLS400 would be best if you can find one used for about £225/250 followed by the XLS200.

gibbsy

I'd buy a BK before a KEF sub.

Doodlethepoodle

Standard Member
Still pondering if the BK Sub is right for me after reading a fair few posts in this sub-forum.

It's also brought into the Sealed Vs Ported subs.

From my understanding the sealed subs are potentially 'faster' and ported subs 'dig deeper' and generally reach lower frequencies but can be 'boomy' ? Additionally it seems ported = Home Cinema and sealed for music. Would I really notice the difference?

The reason I ask is mainly due to the SVS PB1000 been available a bit cheaper as open box. This has put some doubt whether I'd be happy with a BK XXLS400 or BK PB3000. The PR version is apparently very low stock and not available.

Then I think, am I over thinking this? It's replacing a budget Tannoy ported sub with '100 Watts rms' and even the little Gemini MK2 or XLS200 from BK would be a big upgrade?

Just tempted by the PB1000 from SVS... But maybe that's due to their site and better sales Vs a basic webpage from BK...

🤯

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Still pondering if the BK Sub is right for me after reading a fair few posts in this sub-forum.

It's also brought into the Sealed Vs Ported subs.

From my understanding the sealed subs are potentially 'faster' and ported subs 'dig deeper' and generally reach lower frequencies but can be 'boomy' ? Additionally it seems ported = Home Cinema and sealed for music. Would I really notice the difference?

The reason I ask is mainly due to the SVS PB1000 been available a bit cheaper as open box. This has put some doubt whether I'd be happy with a BK XXLS400 or BK PB3000. The PR version is apparently very low stock and not available.

Then I think, am I over thinking this? It's replacing a budget Tannoy ported sub with '100 Watts rms' and even the little Gemini MK2 or XLS200 from BK would be a big upgrade?

Just tempted by the PB1000 from SVS... But maybe that's due to their site and better sales Vs a basic webpage from BK...

🤯

You would definitely hear the difference regarding ported vs. sealed quite easily with certain type movies, but can`t say which you would prefer. Example the PB1000 is going to be lot stronger let´s say below 35hz than sealed BK (or example SVS SB2000), near the port tune around 20hz you will need over two XXLS400 to match it. Also you do get more tactile feel / rumble with the ported model, but if there would be some area where it´s "lacking" so to say, it would be the chest punch range as reported. Coming from the cheap Tannoy sub i can´t see you being disappointed with the XXLS400 either which does look better than SVS.

The P12-PR should be available now if you order direct from site. To my knowledge only XLS200 is not available atm. If you can afford something better than Gemini II then don´t think twice. It´s great product for the price, but also it won´t do the things those others will do and leaves you bit hungry if you are fan of action/scifi movies.

If your use is mostly movies with 20sqm room i would consider the SVS and P12-PR as it adds some beef below 30hz with the passive radiator (acts kinda as a port) assuming you can afford it, it´s about 80-100£ more expensive with shipping over new grade-b XXLS400 and SVS open box was 445£ i think. You have quite good receiver which does fine job regarding flattening the room response for sub so any of these 3 models should sound good!

To give you better idea how example SB1000 vs PB1000 differs sound wise scroll down this link until you see Movies/TV and read on forward from that. SB1000 is smaller than XXLS400 but still has 12" driver (also Peerless) with same amp. This gives you good idea what the larger ported cabinet brings:

Doodlethepoodle

Standard Member
Thank you for the in depth reply. The link helped... I think from that comparison I'd be swayed towards ported SVS PB1000 as I do like a larger impact! The PR BK P12 is interesting as my KEF Q550 floor standers and Q600 centre are 2-way with 2 'auxillary bass radiators' aka passive radiators so would match up?

BK XXLS400 - £407 (grade b)
BK P12 300 SB - £403 (grade b)
BK P12 300 SB PR - £480 + p&p
SVS PB1000 - £445 OB (normally £519)

In order of performance which would you rate?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you for the in depth reply. The link helped... I think from that comparison I'd be swayed towards ported SVS PB1000 as I do like a larger impact! The PR BK P12 is interesting as my KEF Q550 floor standers and Q600 centre are 2-way with 2 'auxillary bass radiators' aka passive radiators so would match up?

BK XXLS400 - £407 (grade b)
BK P12 300 SB - £403 (grade b)
BK P12 300 SB PR - £480 + p&p
SVS PB1000 - £445 OB (normally £519)

In order of performance which would you rate?

From BK in this order (movies):

Monolith
P12-PR
XXLS400
P12

PB1000 and Monolith (300w) had quite similar max output and FR 19hz -3db, but i assume they will still sound bit different. P12-PR should be quite strong too overall but we can only guess at this point. There is advantage of no port noise with the PR design when pushed really loud.

BK has nicer finish/look which can play big role if you are adding 2nd sub for the benefits of duals in future. BK looks like furniture in nice wood veneer finish where as SVS is large black box. SVS has more modern class-d amps & DSP with 5year warranty (BK 2y). Members have got some buzzing amps with BK, but the company does come forward and swap them.

KEFs own subs are sealed by design these days to be partnered with Q range, not anymore PR.

Tough call. Pick the one that feels right. :) I don´t think you will be disappointed with any of those, although 400£ price is too much for basic P12. It often goes 346£ basic finish. The SVS price is really low and there is also used one for 300£ if you saw the link i posted yesterday to some thread, it´s on gumtree.com put SVS on search field.

Doodlethepoodle

Standard Member
So there is 14-21 day lead time for the BK P12 300 PR...

The P12 300 SB is £50 more due to the Gloss finish.

I think the XXLS400 FF on eBay for £407 grade B. The original SVS PB1000 open box sold, but have found another for £455 refurbished at Richer sounds... I guess it's comparing apples and oranges as one is ported and the other sealed though...

Then more research on this site popped up the XTZ 12" Ported subs which have 2 ports and can be blocked to give a sealed sub effect. The chap got it but said it was too big and I believe changed to a BK model but it was only a few cm difference. I didn't find much info on the XTZ except their own site and it's around £590 at the current exchange rate (Euro-GBP) so I'm kinda omitting that one although the BK PB300 PR is £506 delivered so in the grand scheme of things it's not too much extra budget, however, I would be happier around the £350 mark or a touch higher for some thing 'better' and second hand.

Just the ported Vs sealed thing is stopping me pulling the trigger on a XXLS400 and making me second guess the SVS PB model as I do like the impact of movies...

Negative of living in North Scotland with no HiFi shops within 180 miles / 3hr 30min one way. I really am buying blind/deaf ☹️

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom