Old system, need advice on turntable possibly.

morenish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

System consists of;

Upgraded leads and wire
Marantz PM-66E
Marantz CD 5005
Aiwa single deck tape
Teac V-1050
Nad 5120
Mission shelf speakers
Mission floor speakers
Beyer Dynamic headphones
You can see from this list that it is definitely not high end, but what I could afford at the time.

I was advised to spend 10% of your systems worth on leads/wires.

I don't use the cassette players, but they do work and I have kept them for their aesthetic looks.

Feel the need to upgrade the turntable and headphones.

Would like to get the old vinyl out and give it a blast. Have renewed the belt on the Nad, but it really needs a refurb. At the time, Project turntables seemed to be the direction to take, being affordable and having good reviews.

I listen to 99% of my music on my headphones, so did splash out on them. I think they are now a bit tired, have been repaired and would like to upgrade them.

I’m going back a few years now, you can probably work it out with my list. I bought What hifi mag every month and used always Richer Sounds.

So that is some my history of promoting the clarity of sound, on a budget that is.

My interests have now widened to vehicle audio and AV, which will require more advice !

Regards.

You can go down a rabbit hole easy. If I did 99% of my listening on headphones I'd definitely splash out on a dedicated headphone amp. Ymmv

99% of my listening is now by headphones. Standalone headphone amps are far superior to the headphone jack found on the vast majority of stereo amps. The standalone amp will be able to impart far more power to drive even the most demanding headphones such as the Sennheiser HD800.

Providing the stereo amp has a 'record loop' it's easy enough to run a headphone amp in conjunction with it. My current system consists of an SACD player connected directly to the headphone amp. However you are limited into how many inputs the average headphone amp can accommodate.

The iFi Zen Dac V2 is an excellent Dac / amp for listening to headphones

Thank you all,

Looks like I’m going to start looking for a dedicated headphone amp.

It’s been many years since I last looked at the hifi market, but you have certainly reignited my interest.
I remember being impatient for next issue of ‘What Hifi’ and my wife worrying about our bank balance !

I also remember the amount of time researching for the best bit of kit I could get, within my budget. So it may be some time before I can tell you of any developments !

Once again, many thanks 🙂

Just for info, your amp has a tape out. You can use a headphone amp plugged into this and utilise all the inputs on your amp, the amplifier acting as a preamp and the headphones amp doing the power amp job. (If anyone watching this knows better I am open to correction)

Just for info, your amp has a tape out. You can use a headphone amp plugged into this and utilise all the inputs on your amp, the amplifier acting as a preamp and the headphones amp doing the power amp job. (If anyone watching this knows better I am open to connection)
Connection?

Hi all,

System consists of;

Upgraded leads and wire
Marantz PM-66E
Marantz CD 5005
Aiwa single deck tape
Teac V-1050
Nad 5120
Mission shelf speakers
Mission floor speakers
Beyer Dynamic headphones
You can see from this list that it is definitely not high end, but what I could afford at the time.

I don't use the cassette players, but they do work and I have kept them for their aesthetic looks.

Would like to get the old vinyl out and give it a blast. Have renewed the belt on the Nad, but it really needs a refurb. At the time, Project turntables seemed to be the direction to take, being affordable and having good reviews.

I listen to 99% of my music on my headphones, so did splash out on them. I think they are now a bit tired, have been repaired and would like to upgrade them.

I’m going back a few years now, you can probably work it out with my list. I bought What hifi mag every month and used always Richer Sounds.

So that is some my history of promoting the clarity of sound, on a budget that is.

My interests have now widened to vehicle audio and AV, which will require more advice !

Regards.
I’d agree with the headphone amp brigade, but if you still need a turntable Pro-ject and Rega have a variety of great turntables at many price points. Dual have reappeared with a fair offering too, especially if you like an automatic (Heresy!).
What sort of price point were you thinking about for a turntable?

After a quick look the Pro-ject Primary E (Black) has good reviews, at a fair price and one to definitely consider.

What do you think ?

Connection?
Forgive me, I’m getting old now, brain deteriorating and all that !

So can I use the tape out on my amp ? If not, what do I need to do to connect a headphone amp to my existing system ?

Thanks.

Forgive me, I’m getting old now, brain deteriorating and all that !

So can I use the tape out on my amp ? If not, what do I need to do to connect a headphone amp to my existing system ?

Thanks.
That statement was made by @

muljao. He will be able to answer that better than I can.​

I wrote connection in reply to his post. It was just a bit of banter.

That statement was made by @

muljao. He will be able to answer that better than I can.​

I wrote connection in reply to his post. It was just a bit of banter.

Mate, I like banter, there’s nothing better than having a laugh with like minded people.

Please see me as a novice 😊, I need advice and direction, integrating new separates to my existing system.

I remember reading that the genre of music that you like, has some bearing on what equipment you buy.

You take care.

Mate, I like banter, there’s nothing better than having a laugh with like minded people.

Please see me as a novice 😊, I need advice and direction, integrating new separates to my existing system.

I remember reading that the genre of music that you like, has some bearing on what equipment you buy.

You take care.
Did you get my PM ?

@morenish
Usually a headphone amp has two rca plugs for an input. Two rca plugs as an output and a headphone socket with volume control.

The rca in is to plug a device in such as your CD player as an example. The rca out is to plug into an amplifier if you own one so that when you don't want to use the headphones the signal can pass through your headphone amp to your regular stereo amp to listen to music through speakers

You could do this and everytime you want to listen to a different device such as your tape deck, just connect the device with cables to your headphone amp.

However, because your amp has a tape out, this can be used as a line out. You connect your tape out to your headphone amp and then whatever source you select on your amp sends a signal to your headphone amp. It's particular useful for a vinyl setup because in your case the amplifier has a phono stage built in, to connect a vinyl player to a headphone amp require either a phono preamp or a record player with one built in.

Hopefully this helps

Thank you so much Muljao. When I get my head around it and decide on a headphone amp, I will run it pass you, if you don’t mind.

Your help is invaluable.

My best regards to you,
Jack.

Thank you so much Muljao. When I get my head around it and decide on a headphone amp, I will run it pass you, if you don’t mind.

Your help is invaluable.

My best regards to you,
Jack.
Glad I could help a little. However, I understand how headphone amps do their thing, I haven't much experience with them. There are guys here who know loads about them. You'll see there is a headphone section here as well. But of course if I can help I will 👍

After a quick look the Pro-ject Primary E (Black) has good reviews, at a fair price and one to definitely consider.

What do you think ?

Nothing wrong with it at all. If memory serves the Ortofon cartridge it is sold with can be upgraded by purchasing a better stylus once you’ve worn it out (takes a while!)

@morenish

The tape out on your amp will be a fixed signal and there is only need to connect a single RCA between the stereo amp and headphone, there is no need at all to complete the 'loop'. With my headphone amp when it was connected to my stereo amp the speakers have to be muted. Using the stereo amp alongside the headphone amp will give you the advantage of the phono input and other connections.

Hi all,

System consists of;

Upgraded leads and wire
Marantz PM-66E
Marantz CD 5005
Aiwa single deck tape
Teac V-1050
Nad 5120
Mission shelf speakers
Mission floor speakers
Beyer Dynamic headphones

Regards.
Look at second hand turntables cheaper, shame I just gave away a Sony turntable cost £200, Onkyo a9010 amp £250, & q acoustic 3020 speakers £180 to my 16 year old granddaughter who bought vinyl because she likes the look of them lol. Look for second hand they are out there. I originally posted my gear on gumtree but no interested parties even when I only wanted £ 150 the lot as new condition. Rather give it to family for nothing if no interest shown online though.

Attachments

• 2021-09-09-14-32-23.jpg
    2021-09-09-14-32-23.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 2021-09-07-23-06-12.jpg
    2021-09-07-23-06-12.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220131_105641~2.jpg
    20220131_105641~2.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210909-131647_Amazon Shopping~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-131647_Amazon Shopping~2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20190621_202337_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190621_202337_com.android.chrome.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 38
Look at second hand turntables cheaper, shame I just gave away a Sony turntable cost £200, Onkyo a9010 amp £250, & q acoustic 3020 speakers £180 to my 16 year old granddaughter who bought vinyl because she likes the look of them lol. Look for second hand they are out there. I originally posted my gear on gumtree but no interested parties even when I only wanted £ 150 the lot as new condition. Rather give it to family for nothing if no interest shown online though.
Update....the modern granddaughter gave my hifi, turntable, amp & speakers back that she had for free from me. She said she hadn't room for it & it was still boxed up taking up her bedroom. She decided streaming from her mobile was more convenient. Oh well I tried. Bad when you can't give it away lol.

Update....the modern granddaughter gave my hifi, turntable, amp & speakers back that she had for free from me. She said she hadn't room for it & it was still boxed up taking up her bedroom. She decided streaming from her mobile was more convenient. Oh well I tried. Bad when you can't give it away lol.
That’s the thing with the modern generation. Every thing is done via their phones.

I don’t think separates will become obsolete, but I do think that, in the future, there will a lot less of us Audiophiles.

Still researching turntables ! But for me there is no rush. There are many choices out there and I find it interesting, reading all the reviews 😊

That’s the thing with the modern generation. Every thing is done via their phones.

I don’t think separates will become obsolete, but I do think that, in the future, there will a lot less of us Audiophiles.

Still researching turntables ! But for me there is no rush. There are many choices out there and I find it interesting, reading all the reviews 😊
What price range are you looking at. My system is fairly modest but I am very happy with it. I have had 2 visitors that were impressed with the sound after asking for a listen. I have the rega 3 which I bought 2 years ago, it's simple lines & impressive sound without breaking the bank plus 5 star awards & product of the year from What Hifi. I am not a massive vinyl user but I have about 40 years worth of albums.

What price range are you looking at. My system is fairly modest but I am very happy with it. I have had 2 visitors that were impressed with the sound after asking for a listen. I have the rega 3 which I bought 2 years ago, it's simple lines & impressive sound without breaking the bank plus 5 star awards & product of the year from What Hifi. I am not a massive vinyl user but I have about 40 years worth of albums.
Are you that old ? 😁

The Rega 3 is most definitely a good piece of kit, I think it’s more than enough to compliment my vinyl, which includes many 12” discs.

Now I am showing my age 😁

I Bought my first album at 6 months old (I lie). The good thing is when you buy that brand the chances of ever having to purchase another for years is unlikely. I originally had bad humming but tweaks like moving the hifi unit away from the speakers cured it. (which they advise anyhow). Plus I prefer it where it is now.

Attachments

• 2022-06-23-14-49-56-147.jpg
    2022-06-23-14-49-56-147.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 28

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom