Old system advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jassi_hayre, Sep 16, 2018.

1. jassi_hayre

jassi_hayre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey Guys

My large eclectic collection of cd's and Marantz system (PM57 amp, CD67 SE and B&W 601 speakers) have been stuck in the loft for over a decade. Assuming they are ok I'd like to put them to use again as part of a gym i'm setting up in the garage (approx 4m x 5m).

I cant remember exactly which speaker and interconnect cables I had but they would have been good quality ones and the system only had light use before it was put away so hoping there shouldnt be much if any issues or sound quality degredation but I decided to set aside £200 just in case during the week.

Today I was thinking CD players have probably come along way so may be look out for a second hand cd player or DAC's seem to be all the rage so may be get one of those or possibly even push the budget to £300 and get a second hand amp as well?

2. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,299
    Is you gym going to be carpeted and have curtains, if not then I do not think there is any reason to upgrade if it all works as your room will dominate any sound I.e. hard flat walls and floor will reflect the sound and are not conducive to good hifi listening, but for background whilst excercising it will be ok.

If you want to spend money, personally I would buy a chrome cast audio (£30) and sign up for a free Spotify account (or if you don’t like the occasional advert it is £10 per month), plug it into you amp via a 3.5mm jack to stereo rca cable (a couple of pounds from amazon) and you have 40 million tunes to choose from, just need an internet signal and is controlled from an app on your phone/tablet.

Just my 2p worth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I would keep it as is if it were me. If you want streaming options that's different but if you plan to play cds only and really want to spend £300 then my guess would be a speaker upgrade would give best results for your money, assuming the amp and cd player still work fine.

4. jassi_hayre

jassi_hayre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The gym / garage will be bare. Interesting thought on a streaming service. Not something just need to make sure I can get a good signal. Wondering if it would be worth getting a network music streamer with a feature to rip cd's?

Also interesting about replacing the speakers. I thought they were the stronger component if not at the same level as the amp and cd player. They all cost around £250 new?

5. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,299
    If you have a laptop/pc then you can rip the cd’s onto there and the chrome cast can play them from there. No need for a dedicated streamer or ripper imo.

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I wasn't suggesting you need to replace them. It was your comments about cd player and possible amp upgrade that made me suggest you would likely be better off spending the money on better speakers instead. In an nutshell, I wouldn't assume newer is better so if the amp and cd player are working well, I don't think 300 quid is going to bring huge improvements, if any at all. £300 on some good used speakers that perhaps retailed at 700 quid plus on the other hand might make for a nice upgrade but whether or not you feel that's needed for a gym/garage when you have the B&W's already is another story.

7. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    If I was going to spend any money at all it would be on the streaming side.

All of your gear is more than up to the task of playing well in a bare gym room. It was all good stuff in its day so still will be if it still works.

I’d imagine a huge choice of music would be more beneficial in your situation than a new CD player.

8. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    In some ways CD have come a long way, in others not really. The CD Standard is locked, it doesn't change. However, DACs and general electronics have improved over time and the prices have come down.

One thing I would be concerned about with a CD Player that has been stored in a place that is NOT Climate Controlled, is the the internal Belts can dry out over time. Though it doesn't cost you anything to to try the CD you have, and likely if this was a very popular model, there are replacement belts for it.

This is probably the only Marantz CD Player that comes close to your budget -

Marantz CD6006 UK Edition CD Player - £339 -

Marantz CD6006UKSE CD Player UK Edition - Superfi

That is generally well regarded, but I can't say that it exceeds the CD Player you have.

The existing Marantz CD67 SE dates back to 1996 -

Marantz CD-67 - Manual - Compact Disc Player - HiFi Engine

Marantz CD-67SE

And in searching for it, I found one in Germany selling for €175 -

Marantz CD-67SE (Special Edition) CD-Player - gebraucht

Someone floated the idea of Network Streaming. The Google ChromeCast-Audio is about £30, and can stream from the most common streaming services. This is an endless supply of music from libraries that have 40 Million to 50 Million Tracks stored and accessible. And ChromeCast-Audio will work with just about any amp. These are very compact and use Wireless Network Connection, so if you compute network reaches out to your garage, you should be set.

GOOGLE Chromecast Audio - Curry's

Chromecast Audio – For Speakers – Google Store

CD would be better quality, but Network Streaming would give you access to near infinite music.

I think the thing to do is drag your existing equipment out and give it a try, then see where you stand. If everything is good ... then you are good to go. If not, then, depending on the results, we can work on where to go from here.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  9. lindsayt

lindsayt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    This page is a few years out of date. However it was written by someone with extensive knowledge of listening to and modifying CD players:

CD_player_ranking

He rates some 1990's CD players very highly.

For modern DAC's a £4.99 brand new Chinese one off ebay with a £38 brand new ebayed linear power supply gives all the sound quality you'd need for a gym system.

The difference between digital sources, in general, is very subtle compared to the differences in speakers.

The OP's Marantz CD player with properly engineered speakers (which need not cost much if 2nd hand or DIY'd) would sound better than a £10,000+ streamer with run of the mill £10,000 speakers.

10. jassi_hayre

jassi_hayre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all. I managed to get all the stuff cleaned and running a couple of days ago. Everything appears to be working fine but I need to spend some more time listening.