Old sub problem

nolia

I have a old eltax ea sw20 sub and when I plug it or unplug it from mains it makes a kinda explosion sound. sometimes it doesn't do that.why is that? apart from that it works well.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Its picking up a sudden mains surge when you plug it in. You should really have the sub turned off on its amp on the rear of the sub before plugging and unplugging. Once plugged in, you can then turn it on and it should make that sound.

nolia

even when its turned of at rear... when i turn it on at the rear switch it does the same. maybe a ground isolater can help?

Aerial Man

Novice Member
My sub momentarily makes a noise when you turn it on, it's nothing that will damage it. Be carefull not to plug the power lead in when the switch is in the on position, or plug the subwoofer cable in when the subwoofer is on.

Nothing can really hurt it apart from electronic surge, so use a protector for all of your kit.

nolia

the odd thing is I have a 8 plug surge extension connected to my TV,PS3. xbox,sub,sat-box. I would have thought that will help

Aerial Man

Novice Member
So do I but the sub still makes a loud pop noise when turned on and off at the back. It always has from new and it's only really had 1 years worth of use. I have never thought much of it, my guitar amp does the same thing.

I find the best way is just to leave the sub switched on and turn all the tv stuff on together at the switch. No noises that way

Last edited:

nolia

I don't know what to do. On the other hand it kinda makes u jump when u turn it on or off. It is a instictive reaction. will check for ground isolaters. the other sub doesn't even do that.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Most subs use a relay on the poweramp outputs to prevent the switch on thump as the poweramps supply charges and settles down. It's a cheap sub, so it probably doesn't have them and there's nothing that can be done about it unless you stop turning it on or off.

It's not damaging it, that's the main thing.

Russell

smk

Novice Member
Try turning the volume down to it's lowest setting before switching on or off. Give it a few seconds and then raise the volume.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom