Old Speckled Hen in Tins?

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The local supermarket has a special offer on Old Speckled Hen in tins. :cool:

Half the price I am usually forced to pay at gunpoint for bottles the same size. :smashin:

So I cleared them out. :)

But does it taste the same?

I think it lacks flavour. A bit weak-tasting? :suicide:

I had a real bottle of the amber nectar only yesterday. :thumbsup:

Is it just me? Normally I hate tins! :confused:

Any deep thoughts on this important matter?

Wouldn't that require to go and buy more to do a taste test? Probably paranoia? :D

P.S. Responsible drinking blah blah blah :lesson: :D

P.S. Responsible drinking blah blah blah :lesson: :D

I always drink responsibly, I'm very polite so my wife tells me in the morning.:devil:

Don't like speckled hen myself. I know the "purists" hate it but you can't beat a nice cold lager IMO. Especially when the weather's good.

I prefer it out of a glass or a bottle but meh, cans will do if there's no alternative.

I had some over the weekend and thought it was pretty good, but I know it wouldn't be the same if I had a pint of draught and then a tin..........anyway I piled through four cans at my BBQ on Sunday so it can't be too bad.
I'll have another one now just to make sure :)

I had some over the weekend and thought it was pretty good, but I know it wouldn't be the same if I had a pint of draught and then a tin..........anyway I piled through four cans at my BBQ on Sunday so it can't be too bad.
I'll have another one now just to make sure :)

I didn't know B&Q sold ale? I must be out of touch.

My wife suggested I line up a tin and a bottle from the cellar for a tasting... but that means I'd have to drink both and I'm already squiffy after one tin. Is it worth the sacrifice? :rolleyes:

I didn't know B&Q sold ale? I must be out of touch.

My wife suggested I line up a tin and a bottle from the cellar for a tasting... but that means I'd have to drink both and I'm already squiffy after one tin. Is it worth the sacrifice? :rolleyes:

:D

and yes, don't be such a girl :)

Is it worth the sacrifice? :rolleyes:

Be rude not to. It's science isn't it.;)

I'm gonna open a tin of carlsberg in a minute and taste it thoroughly, then have another couple just to test if the taste is the same between tins.:D

Beer deffo tastes better out of a bottle rather than a tin.

This is proven by 17 years rigourous testing of various tin/bottle combo's by myself

hiccup

I think the bottled is inferior to draught - big difference.
never seen it in cans TICR.
if the canned tastes kindalikethebottlesdo then its a good deal.
You need to do some blind tests tonight comparing bottled and canned !

please report back findings once recovered :)

Be rude not to. It's science isn't it.;)

I'm gonna open a tin of carlsberg in a minute and taste it thoroughly, then have another couple just to test if the taste is the same between tins.:D
It should be! That's why people drink lager - uniformity, non challenging, cold. Actually, does Carlsberg taste of anything? Can't stand lager - in this country. All tastes the same, just different degrees of tastelessness depending on strength. IMHO that is....

Bottled beer always tastes better than the can? Well, 99 times out of a hundred yes. But I actually prefer canned Ruddles county to the bottle version. As for Speckled Hen, well, it doesn't taste as good as it did before GK took over anyway. *smug look*

The bottle version is still better though. *slurps another bottle of SH down*........ :D

I highly recommend Adnams Broadside in bottles, you used to only be able to get it in Norfolk/Suffolk way but then it did a tour of the UK and now it's in the beer section of all good supermarkets. The stuff on tap is about 5% I think but the bottled stuff is 6.3%. Iss very nice....

London Pride is still nice from cans.

For lager drinkers Fullers Honeydew is a very nice bottled beer.

Aldi are selling a couple of different Batemans bottled beers at 1.29 each, XXXB and an organic one, both nice.

Yes Bottled taste better than from a tin and from a glass than out of the bottle. I think for some reason the tin reacts with the beer. I also find beer will keep what taste it has longer in a bottle than a tin.

Changing the subject, slightly, my landlord got a keg of Speckled Hen as a guest and I was suprised to see it had dropped in ABV for 5.2 to 4.7 - is this the same for the bottle/tinned variety ?

Still a nice drop though. :thumbsup:

Dickster

Cheers Nimby, good to know it's not gone down across the board. I do wonder why though. Perhaps it's to make it more agreeable with most or sensible drinking stuff. Hmmm

according to my friend who runs a fullers pub the bottled/tinned stuff is usually stronger than the stuff on draft to make it taste the same.

going to a CAMRA beer festival at Coventry rugby ground this weekend :thumbsup:

I tried a glass at the local hostelry at lunchtime followed by a bottle at home and the glass of draught was much nicer even though the alcohol content is lower. Alas I couldn't complete the test with a tin for a complete comparison as I didn't have one available. Next time I'll be more conscientious.

Dave

going to a CAMRA beer festival at Coventry rugby ground this weekend :thumbsup:

Must be the weekend for it, I'm going to the Doncaster one.:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :zonked: :D

http://www.doncastercamra.org.uk/beerex.html

I tried a glass at the local hostelry at lunchtime followed by a bottle at home and the glass of draught was much nicer even though the alcohol content is lower. Alas I couldn't complete the test with a tin for a complete comparison as I didn't have one available. Next time I'll be more conscientious.

Dave

Shame its not brewed in Abingdon any more, you could have got a control sample from the source.

Must be the weekend for it, I'm going to the Doncaster one.:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :zonked: :D

http://www.doncastercamra.org.uk/beerex.html

Shame its not brewed in Abingdon any more, you could have got a control sample from the source.

Tell me about it:thumbsdow I watched them convert the old brewery into flats :( They left the old pub there, the Brewery Tap, but it's lost it's meaning somehow now.

Dave

:

. I know the "purists" hate it.
That is because lager isnt proper beer . Its a foreign intruder that has done much harm to our traditional ale( proper beer).As Ok said what little discernible flavour it has is all the same. Characterless, I feel its consumption should be rigorously controlled. In fact I'd goes so far as to say our children should be weaned on ale so by the time they come of age they would have developed a taste for it and would look at the foreign impostor with the kind of disdain I do:devil:
When I go to pubs these days I feel a sense of dismay when I see seemimngly young people drinking so much lager. It would nerver have happened in my day:nono: :)

That is because lager isnt proper beer . Its a foreign intruder that has done much harm to our traditional ale( proper beer).As Ok said what little discernible flavour it has is all the same. Characterless, I feel its consumption should be rigorously controlled. In fact I'd goes so far as to say our children should be weaned on ale so by the time they come of age they would have developed a taste for it and would look at the foreign impostor with the kind of disdain I do:devil:
When I go to pubs these days I feel a sense of dismay when I see seemimngly young people drinking so much lager. It would nerver have happened in my day:nono: :)

It's all the jessies going abroard for their holidays to find 'the sun' (nasty invention if you ask me, gonna kill us all, apparently). What's wrong with taking your shirt off on Blackpool prom in winter .... you'll find out if your tickers in good shape or not i can tell you......

Due to the findings of this thread - perhaps we should have a "Who drinks real ale?" and/or "Who's a member of CAMRA?" poll ?

Thoughts, or are we going to be outgunned by our lager drinker colleagues ?

Cool

Long live :beer:

It's all the jessies going abroard for their holidays to find 'the sun' (nasty invention if you ask me, gonna kill us all, apparently). What's wrong with taking your shirt off on Blackpool prom in winter .... you'll find out if your tickers in good shape or not i can tell you......

Of course when I mean proper beer I mean southern beer, which IS the real Mcoy :)no froth on the top. Instead of Blackpool why not Bournemouth? Well civilised it is down there.

Due to the findings of this thread - perhaps we should have a "Who drinks real ale?" and/or "Who's a member of CAMRA?" poll ?

Thoughts, or are we going to be outgunned by our lager drinker colleagues ?

Cool

Long live :beer:
Quite likely :(

If anybody can get hold of Coopers Sparkling Ale (Australian) at one of the CAMRA festivals you should try it, it's sometimes sold at these festivals but can also be bought online. Lovely stuff and currrently have 48 bottles of it stored for a rainy day :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom